Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport photos for passport renewal

Passport photos for passport renewal

Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

e444had is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport photos for passport renewal

I went to 2 Walmarts and a Walgreens in Phoenix to see about getting the correct size of photographs. Walmart had a program which was supposed to print the correct sized image for the UK but they could not come close to what the HO stipulates. Also from reading this forum i went to an AAA office and they could not give me the correct size either.

I finally found a great little portrait photographer in Phoenix that took the time and did it correctly for $27.50. (msg me if you want the name). I also had them co-signed just incase there was an issue.

I am pleased to say I over nighted my passport package Jan 17th. and received my UK Passport on 3rd of February, and today my old passport came back.

The new passport process scans in your photo and reprints your image twice inside the passport without a background. So size and quality counts.

Oh, and I used a program which allowed me to type on the PDF C1 form and save the pages as individual pdfs which helped for clarity.

Last edited by e444had; Feb 6th 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:59 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If your appearance has not changed considerably you do not need your photos countersigned. My husband renewed his last year and he didn't.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

simonw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brigette
I just renewed my passport. Go to Walgreens tell them the photos are for the UK, they will adjust the machine. They will not however cut the photos for you. That is ok send them to DC as is. The photos will be cut in the UK. I sent my pictures in uncut. I think it cost $10.00. I made a thread about it, so you can do a search to see the exact amount.
Brigette,

Thank you for this info, I got mine done at Walgreens today uncut and was wondering what to do about it since I can't cut straight to save my life!
Old May 1st 2012, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to cut them yourself with a razor (arts/craft razor is the best):
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Softgr.../dp/B000OMYG22

I did this recently, and the passport was approved without a problem. Just use a straightedge, and cut flush with the image border. Having someone help you (to steady the ruler) is very helpful.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
You need to cut them yourself with a razor (arts/craft razor is the best):
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Softgr.../dp/B000OMYG22

I did this recently, and the passport was approved without a problem. Just use a straightedge, and cut flush with the image border. Having someone help you (to steady the ruler) is very helpful.
Or do as you're supposed to do and not cut them...
Old May 1st 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Or do as you're supposed to do and not cut them...
I've heard conflicting arguments on that one - since it's impossible to find a passport photo retailer in the US that will cut them to size. I've seen cases where the photos were rejected since they were not cut to size.

If you have any sort of craft/artistic background, just cut them to size yourself. I've had no problems.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard conflicting arguments on that one - since it's impossible to find a passport photo retailer in the US that will cut them to size. I've seen cases where the photos were rejected since they were not cut to size.

If you have any sort of craft/artistic background, just cut them to size yourself. I've had no problems.
I know it's not hard...but the instructions do say not to cut the photo's down.

It's not like it is even needed these days as the pictures aren't placed in the passport but scanned in these days.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chrisroach
(I have tried making 'homemade' photos but my printer is poor quality and I had little success in sizing the photo from my camara to be printed...came out Wayyy too big).

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I have used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ it will size the photos correctly for you and you can then a) save them as a file and then you just take them to Walgreens / other photo shot. or b) pay for a printed version and they will send them to you.

They are very easy to produce correct spec photos for many countries.

I've used them for UK, Irish, USA and AUS passports + a few USA Visas without any rejections.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shorrock
I have used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ it will size the photos correctly for you and you can then a) save them as a file and then you just take them to Walgreens / other photo shot. or b) pay for a printed version and they will send them to you.

They are very easy to produce correct spec photos for many countries.

I've used them for UK, Irish, USA and AUS passports + a few USA Visas without any rejections.
Walgreens can take them in the correct size (they can set it to UK settings). No need to use epassportphoto.com first.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I know it's not hard...but the instructions do say not to cut the photo's down.
Which is, of course, ridiculous because nobody has ever printed either conventional or digital photographs on pieces of paper that were exactly the size of passport photos.

No matter how you obtained your passport photos, if they are the correct size then it is because some person or machine cut them to that size ffs!

I always interpreted "not cutting the photos down" as meaning not cutting down that 4"x5" print of a holiday snapshot of you with aunt Vera that was taken last week and from which you might just be able to carve out a chunk that was the correct size ...
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Walgreens can take them in the correct size (they can set it to UK settings). No need to use epassportphoto.com first.
No need to use Walgreens either. All you need is a digital camera, photo paper, and an inkjet printer.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've not done a shop/booth passport photo in ten years. My whole family has passports with ones I took against a plain wall with a digital camera and printed on my home printer. Took a couple of goes for some to ensue it was the right size, but still way cheaper (and quicker!) than the alternative.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Anian
I've not done a shop/booth passport photo in ten years. My whole family has passports with ones I took against a plain wall with a digital camera and printed on my home printer. Took a couple of goes for some to ensue it was the right size, but still way cheaper (and quicker!) than the alternative.
Photo done at home, that passport site to get the pic to size and tiled to fit a 4x6 and then 15c or whatever to get it printed the next time you go to the grocery store, whether that be Target, Walmart, Walgreens etc.

Beats having to faff around with a printer that only gets used once in a while, spending a fortune on new ink as the heads all dry out in between uses
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have an Epson!
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Anian
Sounds like you have an Epson!
I don't have any these days, only a laser as I hardly use them.

Did used to have a high end Canon, Epson and another one, can't remember what it was though, were A4, A3 and half owned A2 with room mate at uni.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.