Reload this Page >

Passport/new baby question

Passport/new baby question

Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Jackson87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport/new baby question

Hi,

Just have a quick question re passports/new baby. We are here on an E2 Visa (wife, daughter and I). My wife is due next month with baby no.2

Ive read that this child will become a US Citizen and will be able to get a passport SSN number straight away. At what point (if any) should I apply for a UK passport. We are going back to the UK in dec for a few weeks. Is it easier to just get the US passport and sort out the UK one further down the line?

Thank you
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport/new baby question

Originally Posted by Jackson87
Hi,

Just have a quick question re passports/new baby. We are here on an E2 Visa (wife, daughter and I). My wife is due next month with baby no.2

Ive read that this child will become a US Citizen and will be able to get a passport SSN number straight away. At what point (if any) should I apply for a UK passport. We are going back to the UK in dec for a few weeks. Is it easier to just get the US passport and sort out the UK one further down the line?

Thank you
My understanding helpful to register child's birth with British consulate for the future, but if it were me I would get the child's UK passport in the UK. My experience has been a lot faster and straightforward process.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackson87
Hi,

Thank you
There is likely no true "need" for a British passport until you/your child return to live in the UK. A US passport is required for all US citizens to enter and leave the US, but it is perfectly OK to visit the UK using a US passport even if you are a British citizen - a number of BE members do/ have done this, including me. So your child is unlikely to "need" a British passport so long as they live in the US.

Registering the birth with the British consulate is worth doing as it serves as a permanent record of your child's British citizenship.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2017 at 7:12 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski's advice is correct however if everyone else in the family only has British passports and you are resident in the US on a non-immigrant visa then I personally would be looking to obtain both passports for the new baby. Should you became citizens yourselves in the next five years then you can make an executive decision on whether to renew it or not.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
My understanding helpful to register child's birth with British consulate for the future...
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Registering the birth with the British consulate is worth doing...
The consulates no longer handle registration of foreign births. It's now all done in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 5th 2017 at 7:25 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Jackson87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the helpful advice.