Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport needed to enter US from Canada?

Passport needed to enter US from Canada?

Old Sep 12th 2002, 7:03 pm
Deborah

Default Passport needed to enter US from Canada?

I am a Canadian citizen and will be travelling on a greyhound bus from Vancouver BC, Canada to Texas, US... will I need to carry a passport with me or will a certified copy of my birth certicicate work? What will the crossing the border experience be like traveling by bus? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Deborah

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:43 pm
Richard

Default Re: Passport needed to enter US from Canada?

"Deborah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am a Canadian citizen and will be travelling on a greyhound bus from Vancouver
    > BC, Canada to Texas, US... will I need to carry a passport with me or will a
    > certified copy of my birth certicicate work? What will the crossing the border
    > experience be like traveling by bus? Any and all help is much appreciated!

To go by the book, you need proof of citizenship and proof of identification.

A Canadian passport is proof of both.

A driver's licence is proof of identification. A birth certificate (original or
certified) is proof of citizenship assuming you were born in Canada.

I'm sure there are other combinations of documents for those who are Canadian
citizens but weren't born in Canada, I just don't know of them.

Richard

Old Sep 12th 2002, 9:44 pm
Christian Bartsch

Deborah said on 12.09.02:

> I am a Canadian citizen and will be travelling on a greyhound bus from Vancouver
    > certified copy of my birth certicicate work?

Better check the INS web site, but when I was over in July, there was a story all
over the (local, I believe) paper that a girl's hockey team from Canada had to
withdraw from a tournament in the US because some of the players were refused entry
to the US since they didn't have government issued photo ID.

> What will the crossing the border experience be like traveling by bus? Any and all
    > help is much appreciated!

Take all your stuff off the bus, go through the usual immigration procedure (don't
forget the rules re. import of food etc.), have all your bags X-rayed.

Chris

Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:22 am
Deborah

Originally posted by Deborah:
I am a Canadian citizen and will be travelling on a greyhound bus from Vancouver BC, Canada to Texas, US... will I need to carry a passport with me or will a certified copy of my birth certicicate work? What will the crossing the border experience be like traveling by bus? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Deborah
Thank you both! I have a photot id and drivers liscense and a certified copy of my birth certificate. I was born in Canada. Thanks again!

Old Sep 13th 2002, 3:50 pm
John Ramsay

You need your birth certificate and photo ID, same name on both.

Don't go to the expense of having your birth certificate certified if you have a
driver's license with your picture on it.

If you have a passport, take that. It's less hassle.

Deborah wrote:

> certified copy of my birth certicicate work? What will the crossing the border
    > experience be like traveling by bus? Any and all help is much appreciated!
    > Deborah
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com