Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport name change after marriage (British)

Passport name change after marriage (British)

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 12:43 am
British in Wisconsin
Thread Starter
Jememennie's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2001
Location: From Merseyside, now living in Wisconsin.
Posts: 212
Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport name change after marriage (British)

Hi again,

Apologies for posting another name change post. I know this topic has been covered before, as I searched the newsgroup - but most of the posts that I found were from 1999. And the others confused me more.

You may have seen my other post today about the problems we had with getting my sirname name changed on my social security card. So now I'm getting concerned about my passport.

We're hoping to visit the UK in October. From old posts I've read, I thought it would be ok to book the ticket in my married name & then travel with our marriage certificate and my state ID card (that's in my married name).

But then I saw a old post where someone said you should book the ticket in your maiden name as that's the name on your passport?

Then I saw an old post about sending your passport to the British Embassy in the USA to get your name changed. I looked up the Passport Agency in the UK but they don't have any info for British people abroad. I look for a website for the UK Embassy in the US and all I found was: http://www.britainusa.com/ Is that the official site? They have info and forms for getting a new passport but I don't see anything about name changes. Ohhh, hang on, I'm reading the form and they have a box to tick for name changes.

Ack, that form looks a little complicated. From what I read in old posts you aren't issued a new passport so you don't need to send a new photo. Huh, need to send an original marriage certificate though. Ah, it costs $72 including P&P?!?!? That sucks, it would make more sense to pay $14 more and get a whole new passport. (Mine expires in 2006)

I also read in old posts that you should copy all the pages in your old passport before you send it and you should take out the original I-94 as I'll have to surrender it if I leave the country - right? On that note I won't have to fill out the I-94 forms on the way back to the USA because I'll have my green card or green card stamp, right?

Ok, that's more than enough of my questions & rambling. Things never seem to get any less complicated.

Thanks, Jennie
Jememennie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.