Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Issues

Passport Issues

Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

jmacfadyen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Issues

Just got an email from the passport office and they want my husband to submit two photo id's before they will process his renewal. At this point, we're stuck because he doesn't have any ids that he can send them. He has a birth certificate and our marriage license, but that's about it. Anyone have any advice? I had one recommendation to go to the embassy and see what they can do. We're in the DC area so it is a viable option, but I don't know if they'll actually do anything.

Anyone have any luck with the passport number? Is it even worth calling them or are they just a typical call center kind of thing?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Issues

Originally Posted by jmacfadyen
Just got an email from the passport office and they want my husband to submit two photo id's before they will process his renewal. At this point, we're stuck because he doesn't have any ids that he can send them. He has a birth certificate and our marriage license, but that's about it. Anyone have any advice? I had one recommendation to go to the embassy and see what they can do. We're in the DC area so it is a viable option, but I don't know if they'll actually do anything.

Anyone have any luck with the passport number? Is it even worth calling them or are they just a typical call center kind of thing?
What's his status in the US? If he has a Green Card, that is a photo ID. If he's doing AOS, then if he's got an EAD then (I think) that counts as a photo ID until the AOS is complete. He should also be able to get a photo ID from the DMV, even if he doesn't want to get a driver's licence.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a post from Dean a little while ago which said the passport office at the Embassy was no longer open to personal callers.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I thought there was a post from Dean a little while ago which said the passport office at the Embassy was no longer open to personal callers.
I think you're correct about the passport office not being open to in person visits, but I wasn't sure if we could go and just get general advice from the consulate or something. I guess we're going to have to call the number and see if they have any alternatives.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmacfadyen

Are you sure it not 2 countersigned photos that's required? Even then if his appearance hasn't changed too much the pics will not require countersigning. If your husband is renewing his UK PP it should be very straightforward.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you sure it not 2 countersigned photos that's required? Even then if his appearance hasn't changed too much the pics will not require countersigning. If your husband is renewing his UK PP it should be very straightforward.
You could be right about the countersigning not being done. However, even with that, they ask for additional forms of ID if there is any doubt about the identity of the applicant. It could well be that his appearance has in fact changed and that's precisely *why* they are asking for additional forms of ID.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't have a UK drivers license? That plus green card would do it.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Suspect they want two passport photographs rather two forms of photo ID unless your husband has allowed his passport to expire for several years. I clarify what they actually want before sending off anything.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

hoyland54 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Suspect they want two passport photographs rather two forms of photo ID unless your husband has allowed his passport to expire for several years. I clarify what they actually want before sending off anything.
No, I had the same thing. With a countersignatory on the application. My passport had been expired less than six months.

Haven't heard back, so who knows if they were satisfied.
Old May 8th 2013, 12:49 am
Just Joined

After a call to the embassy in DC and another to the passport line, someone called my husband back yesterday and offered the alternative of two additional photos with professional references:

..."two letters from professional persons (i.e. your employer, doctor, dentist, teacher etc.) who have known you for at least two years. These must be on headed paper (with a photograph of you stapled to it) confirming the likeness of the photograph and giving details of how long and in what capacity they have known you...."

We're arranging getting the letters, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what they need to say. That's kind of been the first question I've been asked when I started seeking out people that meet these requirements.

Is it just basically what it says here? Seems pretty straightforward, but maybe I'm missing something. One thing I've learned helping him through this whole process is there definitely seems to be a different Bureaucratic-ese between US and UK government paperwork. I wouldn't say that one is any worse or better than the other, just different, guess it's just a matter of what you're used to so the UK paperwork seems a bit alien to me, same way as much of the US paperwork probably seems alien to many of you all.

Thanks all!
Old May 8th 2013, 2:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Seem to be doing odd things in Washington. Standard procedure is to complete the relevant countersignature section on the application form and then get your countersignatory to sign the back of one of the two photos you submit. Anyway, check Section 9 of Form C1. It has the exact phrasing/details you require.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...orm-c1.pdf.pdf