Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

passport and green card lost!!!

passport and green card lost!!!

Old May 28th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

smithm8273 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default passport and green card lost!!!

We are a family of six and have been here in the usa for almost 14 years. Four of us have green cards as two were born here. When I was checking out something in the passport file I discovered that my daughter's green card AND passport were missing. She is 16 and swears she hasn't touched it or moved it..... after a frantic search everywhere we cannot find either one. I feel that she has thrown them out by accident and I have NO idea what to do.The last time we used them was for a trip home last summer and they have not been used since.I know I can apply for a green card and passport but what about at the same time....has anyone had a similar problem?
Old May 28th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport and green card lost!!!

Originally Posted by smithm8273
I know I can apply for a green card and passport but what about at the same time....has anyone had a similar problem?
They are quite separate things so I don;t see why you wouldn't just go ahead and immediately file applications for both a replacement passport and a replacement green card.

You don't need to have the passport to get the replacement green card, but you will probably need to have some kind of proof of your daughter's identity by the time you get to the interview for the replacement card (although the instructions for form I90 actually say that this is only for people over 18 who don't have a copy of their original card). Anyway, given the relative slowness of both the British consulate and the USCIS my bet is that if you apply for both at the same time the passport will show up long before the green card renewal interview.
Old May 28th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Kids eh ? Couldn't you just strangel them sometimes ??!!:curse:....sorry, not a very helpful post, but a sympathetic one.
Old May 28th 2008, 3:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Anyway, given the relative slowness of both the British consulate and the USCIS my bet is that if you apply for both at the same time the passport will show up long before the green card renewal interview.
Nonsense ..the Brit embassy is very quick
there is no interview for a replacement green card
Old May 28th 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

smithm8273 is an unknown quantity at this point

They are quite separate things so I don;t see why you wouldn't just go ahead and immediately file applications for both a replacement passport and a replacement green card.

You don't need to have the passport to get the replacement green card, but you will probably need to have some kind of proof of your daughter's identity by the time you get to the interview for the replacement card (although the instructions for form I90 actually say that this is only for people over 18 who don't have a copy of their original card). Anyway, given the relative slowness of both the British consulate and the USCIS my bet is that if you apply for both at the same time the passport will show up long before the green card renewal interview.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Old May 28th 2008, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

apply for both at the same time the passport will show up long before the green card renewal interview.

Do you read before typing?

She is not renewing but replacing.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Nonsense ..the Brit embassy is very quick
Which was why I referred (humorously, I thought) to the "relative" slowness of the two organizations and indicated that I expected that the passport would arrive "long before" the green card appointment ...

there is no interview for a replacement green card
OK, perhaps it isn't technically an "interview", but the instructions for form I-90 make it clear that you will have to show up in person at your local ASC:

"If your card has been lost, stolen, damaged or you never received it, bring a copy of your card, if you have one, when you appear in person at your local ASC."

So, an appearance in person is required - as far as I am concerned that counts as an "interview" although admittedly a pretty lightweight one.

Last edited by md95065; May 28th 2008 at 6:52 pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Do you read before typing?

She is not renewing but replacing.
Of course I do.

For pretty much all practical purposes renewal and replacement are the same thing - you fill in the same form, check one box differenty, and ultimately have to show up in person at your local ASC.

Replacement is just an "early renewal".

Seems like everyone is being very pedantic today ...
Old May 28th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, you just get the replacement in the mail like you would after you were approved at AOS, no 'interview' required. Could be mistaken though, since we know the consistency of USCIS.

And I think it's taking about a year to get a replacement green card. I have no idea how long it will take for a replacement UK passport.

I'd get started on getting replacements asap, in case of travel. That card is your tangible proof of status for your children.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 28th 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, this is confusing to others who have responded to the duplicate threads in other parts of the forum, so I'm closing it, as the questions have been answered.