British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   passport expiring and visiting the UKHi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-expiring-visiting-ukhi-705831/)

mick65 Feb 17th 2011 7:01 pm

passport expiring and visiting the UKHi

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about going back home for a visit in April or May, i have a valid visa but my passport expires in August, does anyone know if that will cause me any problems when i return back to the States or should i renew it before i leave. If i renew it any ideas on how long it might take? many thanks Mick

Bob Feb 17th 2011 10:36 pm

Re: passport expiring and visiting the UKHi

It shouldn't make a problem for entering the US.

Depending on the visa though, you might only get a I-94 stamp date of the expiration of the passport.

Can renew it in the UK quickly and it's a bit cheaper. It's taking around 4-6 weeks in the US generally, some are quicker, some slower.

anne55 Feb 25th 2011 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9184039)
It shouldn't make a problem for entering the US.

Depending on the visa though, you might only get a I-94 stamp date of the expiration of the passport.

Can renew it in the UK quickly and it's a bit cheaper. It's taking around 4-6 weeks in the US generally, some are quicker, some slower.

I am sure I heard one of my relatives say there has to be 6 months remaining on a British passport before they can travel. I think they were referring to the USA. Am I wrong? and would this affect returning too the US for someone without permanent status.:confused: May have misunderstood the source of the info?:unsure:

ian-mstm Feb 25th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by anne55 (Post 9201558)
I am sure I heard one of my relatives say there has to be 6 months remaining on a British passport before they can travel. I think they were referring to the USA. Am I wrong?

I believe there is a reciprocal (albeit, largely silent) agreement between the US and the UK that allows you to be admitted as long as your passport is not more than 6 months expired. That said, I'm not sure whether or not the airlines will let you get on a flight with an expired passport... but that's not an immigration issue.

Ian

mick65 Feb 25th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9201888)
I believe there is a reciprocal (albeit, largely silent) agreement between the US and the UK that allows you to be admitted as long as your passport is not more than 6 months expired. That said, I'm not sure whether or not the airlines will let you get on a flight with an expired passport... but that's not an immigration issue.

Ian

My passports not expired just dont really want any hassle coming back as i'll be traveling with my 3 year old son and it will be the first trip he can remember. So I'm not sure what i should do, does anyone have any idea how long the turn around for a replacement passport is?

lansbury Feb 25th 2011 7:59 pm

I am sure I heard one of my relatives say there has to be 6 months remaining on a British passport before they can travel. I think they were referring to the USA. Am I wrong? and would this affect returning too the US for someone without permanent status.:confused: May have misunderstood the source of the info?:unsure:

Some countries have that requirement. The US states the passport should be valid for 6 months. If it has less on it than that they will not admit you for a time longer than the expiry date on the passport. That applies to those entering on the VWP or other visitors visa.

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mick65 (Post 9183535)
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about going back home for a visit in April or May, i have a valid visa but my passport expires in August, does anyone know if that will cause me any problems when i return back to the States or should i renew it before i leave. If i renew it any ideas on how long it might take? many thanks Mick

I've returned to the US with only a few days left on my UK PP.

Not if you have a visa.

Bob Feb 25th 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9202161)

Not if you have a visa.

Depends on the visa, B1/2 etc and they'd only stamp you in for the length of the passport. I don't know about work based visa's, they still get a I-94 with a jump ship date so I'd have thought expiration date might come into play, but it's never been a concern for me so not really looked into it.

Doesn't matter if you're a LPR though.

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2011 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9202279)
Depends on the visa, B1/2 etc and they'd only stamp you in for the length of the passport. I don't know about work based visa's, they still get a I-94 with a jump ship date so I'd have thought expiration date might come into play, but it's never been a concern for me so not really looked into it.

Doesn't matter if you're a LPR though.

Oh yeah that's a visitor's visor...I meant a visa that allows you to live and work in the US.

mick65 Feb 26th 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9202161)
I've returned to the US with only a few days left on my UK PP.

Not if you have a visa.

Awesome so i'll go on my trip and worry about renewing it on my return :thumbup:

Bob Feb 26th 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mick65 (Post 9203045)
Awesome so i'll go on my trip and worry about renewing it on my return :thumbup:

If you've got the time to renew the passport in the UK, might be worth doing it just for the savings, but yeah, no worries in not doing it.