Reload this Page >

Passport for dual national baby

Passport for dual national baby

Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

eleanor81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport for dual national baby

Hi all,

I hope someone wouldn't mind answering a quick question.

I am British and live in London with my US citizen husband. He has a 2 year FLR visa. We are planning to take our baby son to visit the US for a few weeks. He was born here in London, and knowing that he must travel to the US on a US passport we have already registered him as a USC and he has a US passport.

My question is, will he also need a UK pp to re-enter the UK? I'd just rather avoid the expense of a second passport for a 6 week old baby if poss!!

Thank you.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for dual national baby

If living in the U.K. he needs a United Kingdom passport as well, to get back into the country and prove citizenship for other purposes.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eleanor81
My question is, will he also need a UK pp to re-enter the UK?
Yes.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

eleanor81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I thought as much.

Thanks very much for the speedy response guys.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Having a UK passport will certainly make things easier but I know people who have moved back to the UK along with their foreign born, UK citizen children who did NOT have UK passports. In fact, my wife and I moved back to the UK from Canada with our 2 daughters who were born in Canada and the kids only had Canadian passports. We had the kids' Canadian birth certs (with full details of both parents) and our own UK passports so we were able to get through OK.

However, you might have an issue with the airline on the way back to the UK. The airline needs to be convinced that your son will be admitted to the UK without any problems. You might be asked questions - you might not. A UK birth cert might be OK in terms of satisfying the airline - but it might not.

Bottom line - what's your tolerance for risk?