British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

davidru Jun 9th 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Passport Delays

didn't manage to get a callback from washington- called careline and reescalated the request. Obviously this dynamic could continue indefinitely!

shak Jun 9th 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9417145)
As a UKC, you can not be denied entry to the UK even with an expired UK passport.

The airline, however, may have different requirements (although not in this case, since you're a UKC seeking entry to the UK with a valid UKPP).

Ian

Thanks! I ended up changing my flight yesterday, now I will be arriving the day before it expires...hopefully I don't run into any flight delays :)

As soon as I arrive I plan on renewing my passport there. Thanks everyone for the advice and info!

British Consul Jun 10th 2011 12:39 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9421439)
Hey guys has anybody had any luck with regards to first apps other than renwals? is the status on this the same as the renu's because its been like what 10 wks since i posted,
i mailed off on the 1st april recieved dc 4th apr money taken out on 16th may and its now 9th june and i think the more i read here the more i get frustrated because the fact that other people are going through this doesnt help the situstion.
should i send dean a msg i havent done and i really dont want to be another bother to him his inbox must be scary.

First time applications take longer. I think you should plan on an 8 - 12 week processing time once payment has been taken for your application.

JAJ Jun 10th 2011 2:41 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9418916)
so much said here is true but what about first time apps,we too are still waiting extremely long periods and right again if someone told me that a british insitution was taking this long to do this i would have told them never i would not believe them,but something serious must have gone wrong for these things to be so late and lets not forget the terror threats so it has to have alot of back ground checking going on hopefully soon they might just have a wash of pp being sent off at the same time and the back log brought under control.

How do you think the Passport Office in Britain manage?

Simosa88 Jun 10th 2011 5:53 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9423164)
First time applications take longer. I think you should plan on an 8 - 12 week processing time once payment has been taken for your application.

Hey guys do you know if lost passport replacements take as long as first time apps? I need mine back by the end of June and my card got charged on the 2nd of June!

warmachine Jun 10th 2011 5:59 am

Hi guys,
New member here :)
I'm having the same trouble as everyone else. It was 11 weeks today since they received my application for renewal. I'm going to give the carelessline a call tomorrow. I have held off until now but after reading pages upon pages of complaints and horror stories, I have to call them for peace of mind. I travel very early July but I'm starting to get worried after reading this thread. It wouldn't be so bad if I had paid via CC but that wasn't an option for me. At least I could have checked to see if/when payment was taken if I had paid via CC. I paid via money order so I don't even know if they've taken the money yet. I've read that the time varies but most people are waiting for 11-12 weeks. I'm sure it'll be here any day now but I'll check the careline tomorrow and see what's going on with it. I did send an email but got an automated reply. Waiting sucks!

Sent - Mar 23
Rcvd - Mar 24
Payment taken - No idea, paid via money order :(
Passport rcvd - Nope ... 11 weeks and counting.

Pretty ridiculous really.

cheryl56 Jun 10th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by warmachine (Post 9423531)
Hi guys,
New member here :)
I'm having the same trouble as everyone else. It was 11 weeks today since they received my application for renewal. I'm going to give the carelessline a call tomorrow. I have held off until now but after reading pages upon pages of complaints and horror stories, I have to call them for peace of mind. I travel very early July but I'm starting to get worried after reading this thread. It wouldn't be so bad if I had paid via CC but that wasn't an option for me. At least I could have checked to see if/when payment was taken if I had paid via CC. I paid via money order so I don't even know if they've taken the money yet. I've read that the time varies but most people are waiting for 11-12 weeks. I'm sure it'll be here any day now but I'll check the careline tomorrow and see what's going on with it. I did send an email but got an automated reply. Waiting sucks!

Sent - Mar 23
Rcvd - Mar 24
Payment taken - No idea, paid via money order :(
Passport rcvd - Nope ... 11 weeks and counting.

Pretty ridiculous really.

3 phonecalls to careline,1 phone call to the consulate for my area,PM's to Dean and finally Washington called us back...should be receiving passports next week.They received our apps 5th March and we also payed by money order!!!! Travelling end of June so I would start making those phonecalls if I were you coz you will probably have to call several times before they finally call you back. Good luck :fingerscrossed:

trinbrit Jun 10th 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9423164)

Wow as long as that well i have a wait then. but thank you so very much dean for responding atleast i have an idea its been 10 wks since i sent off and 4 weeks since payment taken pls if poss and by the kindness of god could it be the 8 and not the 12 hahahaha thanks again dean and have a great day and weekend.

Gooner26 Jun 10th 2011 3:36 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my time line for those people who sent their app's in, in April:

(Renewal)
Passport received in Washington - April 15
Card Charged - May 20th
Passport Recieved - Today, June 10th.

So exactly 8 weeks door to door.

My July 1st flight is safe. Phew!

:thumbsup:

lyonsden1193 Jun 10th 2011 4:08 pm

your send and charged line is very similar to mine ...soooo I will keep my hopes up that UPS will be knocking my door soon

Congrats .. know you have got to be feeling a lot of relief!

Gooner26 Jun 10th 2011 4:30 pm

Yes, very relieved, the last few weeks have been very stressful!

Hopefully you get yours soon as well!! :fingerscrossed:

Rannix Jun 10th 2011 5:10 pm

Send in March
CC Charged April 14th

I am into week 9 after cc charge and over 12 weeks since I mailed out my passport renewal.

No passport yet but I am hopefully travelling in August but I have not booked my flight yet because I wanted to wait until I got my passport.

Its getting very frustrating but it seems pointless calling careline.

Only a government could set up a process that has you calling people in England with limited access to the information to find out the status of a application being handled in America and charging you for the privilege.

:thumbdown:

trinbrit Jun 10th 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Rannix (Post 9424509)
Send in March
CC Charged April 14th

I am into week 9 after cc charge and over 12 weeks since I mailed out my passport renewal.

No passport yet but I am hopefully travelling in August but I have not booked my flight yet because I wanted to wait until I got my passport.

Its getting very frustrating but it seems pointless calling careline.

Only a government could set up a process that has you calling people in England with limited access to the information to find out the status of a application being handled in America and charging you for the privilege.

:thumbdown:

The hard thing about this though where I do understand the backlog issue you actually become a prisoner of sorts as you can't even go on a short trip or stuff incase you miss the delivery guy/gal and then ur package is not in the safety of the embassy but has the potential of getting lost or stolen in ur local area,that's what worries me more not the fact of the wait as I know dean and his team are doing all they can to get the prob fixed and everybody happy.

Simosa88 Jun 10th 2011 5:46 pm

Hey guys I came to Canada on my British passport but I also have a Malaysian passport. If my replacement british doesn't come in time do, is it possible to go to the US for a month with my Malaysian passport? If i get a visa and everything?

lansbury Jun 10th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9424570)
Hey guys I came to Canada on my British passport but I also have a Malaysian passport. If my replacement british doesn't come in time do, is it possible to go to the US for a month with my Malaysian passport? If i get a visa and everything?

You can travel on whatever passport you choose, as long as you have all the necessary visas etc required for that passport. Not only to travel to the US, but to get back into Canada.