British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

CP2908 Jun 2nd 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Mine was just a renewal. Rec'd in Washington April 20. Money taken May 12. I think contacting the consulate was what got it moving though.

JulesNYC Jun 2nd 2009 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by CP2908 (Post 7627726)
Mine was just a renewal. Rec'd in Washington April 20. Money taken May 12. I think contacting the consulate was what got it moving though.

I'll give it the 20 days they ask for and see what happens from that point. Glad you got yours! We don't leave until August 13th so I've got time. This has been a very helpful thread.

britwife123 Jun 2nd 2009 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by CP2908 (Post 7627614)
I just got my passport this morning UPS so obviously the email to the consulate on Sunday did the trick.

CP 2908 Way to go. They promised my husband's this week and there are still 3 more days left. I won't believe it til I see it.

cathy22w Jun 3rd 2009 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by CP2908 (Post 7624452)
alamacra

Your timeline is very similar to mine. My application was received in Washington April 20th. Money taken from credit card May 12th. I got desperate though and emailed the consulate yesterday and they replied to me this morning saying that my passport is in the final stages of processing and will be sent out in the next few days. Hopefully yours is nearly completed too.

You emailed the consulate? Do you have an email address? I have tried the phone number and had real problems.

CP2908 Jun 4th 2009 5:08 pm

People on here have been contacting Dean who posts on here under the name "British Consul" and he managed to get things moving for them. In fact that's where I got the idea of getting help from the consulate from. I am not in the US though so the email address I used won't help.

British Consul Jun 5th 2009 6:49 pm

We've set up an on-line passport application status enquiry service for those with an urgent need to travel. Go to www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk or www.UKinCanada.fco.gov.uk and click on the passports tab (you can also go to www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk/orlando and click on the regional information box).

Dean

Bob Jun 5th 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7638196)
We've set up an on-line passport application status enquiry service for those with an urgent need to travel. Go to www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk or www.UKinCanada.fco.gov.uk and click on the passports tab (you can also go to www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk/orlando and click on the regional information box).

Dean

I created a wiki page and included that - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US

Could do with a write up on getting a UK passport, the process, the forms, counter sig and photo info. I just don't want to get it wrong and I know plenty of other people have written about it, so I'd rather if someone else could add it, that would be great.

wellsej Jun 6th 2009 12:57 am

Dean

Dean,

Do you know how long it takes to receive a response from the status enquiry service ? I sent my passport renewal application in early may - under the impression that it would take 30 days. There was no mention of the backlog or technical difficulties on the ukinusa website at that time.

I rang 'Careline' this Wednesday - later seeing a charge of almost $14 on my visa. I rang again today at a further cost of $17 and was told that I should try my local consulate (i.e. Houston) - its very frustrating not being able to talk directly with someone in Washington. I see no point in contacting Careline again.

I eventually got through to Linda in Houston, albeit having to choose the emergency / arrests option. I'm told that emergency travel docs can only be issued if travel is within 7 days. I dont fly to the UK until the 18th. Most frightening part though is that I'm told emergency docs are one way only and that I would have to stay in the UK until my passport is issued by Washington, or alternatively, I apply for a passport during my stay in the UK.

I'm a US permanent resident and local business owner. I would suffer considerable financial loss to my business if I had to stay in the UK for an extended period of time.

I apologize for 'hi-jacking' this thread but I'm unable to PM you as I've not posted on this site before.

Whilst the lady in Houston told me not to worry too much, and that the enquiry service is actively dealing with urgent cases on a flight date basis, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a passport in my possession.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

British Consul Jun 6th 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wellsej (Post 7638862)
Dean,

Do you know how long it takes to receive a response from the status enquiry service ? I sent my passport renewal application in early may - under the impression that it would take 30 days. There was no mention of the backlog or technical difficulties on the ukinusa website at that time.

I rang 'Careline' this Wednesday - later seeing a charge of almost $14 on my visa. I rang again today at a further cost of $17 and was told that I should try my local consulate (i.e. Houston) - its very frustrating not being able to talk directly with someone in Washington. I see no point in contacting Careline again.

I eventually got through to Linda in Houston, albeit having to choose the emergency / arrests option. I'm told that emergency travel docs can only be issued if travel is within 7 days. I dont fly to the UK until the 18th. Most frightening part though is that I'm told emergency docs are one way only and that I would have to stay in the UK until my passport is issued by Washington, or alternatively, I apply for a passport during my stay in the UK.

I'm a US permanent resident and local business owner. I would suffer considerable financial loss to my business if I had to stay in the UK for an extended period of time.

I apologize for 'hi-jacking' this thread but I'm unable to PM you as I've not posted on this site before.

Whilst the lady in Houston told me not to worry too much, and that the enquiry service is actively dealing with urgent cases on a flight date basis, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a passport in my possession.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wellsej,

You'll be hearing from us soon (probably by next Thursday), so don't worry too much. If we can't process your passport on time, there are other options to the emergency travel document mentioned above. Our offices in Orlando and Los Angeles can issue a "temporary passport" which permits travel for 12 months. We'll get into these options if that becomes a possibility although it seems unlikely as the passport centre is reducing the backlog.

Dean

20masonroad Jun 6th 2009 3:04 pm

Passport sent to Washington on April 9th, payment taken May5th, passport arrived June2nd....One phone call, $14....UPS overnight? NO....3 days in the system! Stress levels having canceled one flight....and arranged another one, missing Grandson's 6th birthday, my son's 30th birthday, way too much....Next time, I'll be sending passport away at least two months in advance....
Having believed them when they stated "10 days from the time your credit card is charged" never again!
British Embassy.......... GET ON IT :unsure:

Deedee13 Jun 7th 2009 3:45 pm

Dean

wonderful news. Great idea. Thank you. Needless to say u know my enquiries are in. Procrastination will be the death of me!!

clothes.over.bros.xo Jun 9th 2009 5:51 pm

I've just sent away for a renewal of my passport today- cost me $225 - I'm hoping to travel July 27th or 28th...does this seem plausible? Judging by what others have said I hope so- this is my first time renewing my passport on my own- I'm 17, and this is horribly confusing!

20masonroad Jun 9th 2009 6:30 pm

Good luck!!! :D
Sucks to be getting older and taking on life's little tasks.... :thumbsup:

Deedee13 Jun 9th 2009 11:12 pm

damn.. i knew i should have told my kids to do their own. Well I sent mine off and I know Dean said I would get charged the old rate - I got charged the new. grrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well I suppose its one of those things. Just eat it.

I sent out a passport enquiry on Sunday, Got a call on Monday, telling me I needed to get the kids pics countersigned. Personally I thought they look pretty similar to the pics of 5 years ago. Drove home like a maniac I literally got off a Frankfurt flight called them got told what needed to be done and sent it fedex overnight. Thank god for the 75% discount we get at Fedex. Got a call tonight with a tracking number and told the passports will be issued tomorrow and sent overnight per ups. Arriving on Thursday which would be great as the kids are flying at 5.20. the same day.

My own fault. I knew they were running out and just kept putting it off. Paying for new passports really hurts. But it is what it is. So with any luck bitch one and bitch two will be up up and awaying one for the whole summer and the other for two weeks.

Big thanks to Jerry at the Passport office. That guy has one hell of a sexy voice. : )

British Consul Jun 10th 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by clothes.over.bros.xo (Post 7649313)
I'm hoping to travel July 27th or 28th...does this seem plausible?

Yes.

Dean