British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

lansbury Jun 6th 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by DanniU (Post 9413937)
I left a message for the New York Consulate to make an appointment for an emergency passport, but am concerned that wont allow me to travel to UK and then on to France, back to UK for flight home to New York?

Does anyone know if the emergency travel documents will allow that?
leave it the more expensive they get (especially with 3 kids).

Yes they will. An ETD is good for 5 destinations. The trip you outline is 4 destinations.

DanniU Jun 6th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9414089)
Yes they will. An ETD is good for 5 destinations. The trip you outline is 4 destinations.

Thank you Iansbury, appreciate it. I left a message for the consulate today, do you know if they are good about getting back to people to make an appointment? Also, I read somewhere that you should contact consulate 5 days before travel (which seems crazy late in case there are problems), is 3 and half weeks before travel a reasonable time to contact the consulate for ETD

TNwaltz Jun 6th 2011 6:01 pm

My passport arrived today ! Here is the timeline of events"

1. 15th March - received Washington
2. 12th April - payment processed
3. 30th April - called "Careline" - who could only confirm Points one and 2 above but were hopeful it would be with me 30 days from payment processing (12 May).
4. 15th May - called "Careline" - who once more could only confirm Points 1 and 2 !!!
5. June 1st - called "Careline" - this time the operator said he would send email to the Passport Supervisor to escalate this and that someone would definitely call me.

No-one called - but today June 6th - the wonderful site of the USP man arrived and delivered my passport!

11 weeks, several expensive non-productive calls to UK Careline, and constant worry of not being able to travel should any emergency ocur back home. Now I will be able to visit the UK to renew my E2 visa and also get my TN Driver's Licence renewed here so I'm again legal on the road!

My advice? Allow 3 months at this time so as not to be disappointed ! Good luck to those of you still waiting.

lyonsden1193 Jun 6th 2011 6:05 pm

I've also got a quick Qn about ETD's my nearest embassy location is 400 miles away in Atlanta... so its not just a pop down the road job. How early will they let you qualify for ETD?? because if I have to fly to ATL I have to book Air tkts etc.

Thanks for any advice.

lansbury Jun 6th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by DanniU (Post 9414098)
Thank you Iansbury, appreciate it. I left a message for the consulate today, do you know if they are good about getting back to people to make an appointment? Also, I read somewhere that you should contact consulate 5 days before travel (which seems crazy late in case there are problems), is 3 and half weeks before travel a reasonable time to contact the consulate for ETD

I guess how quick they get back varies from Consulate to another. Judging from comments posted here, they seem to not issue an ETD until the last minute. Not sure if living someway from the Consulate, I would have a 2 hour flight just to get to San Fransisco, means they are more accommodating to people living far away, than those on the doorstep so to speak.

lansbury Jun 6th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9414126)
I've also got a quick Qn about ETD's my nearest embassy location is 400 miles away in Atlanta... so its not just a pop down the road job. How early will they let you qualify for ETD?? because if I have to fly to ATL I have to book Air tkts etc.

Thanks for any advice.

The only advice is call them and ask. You can bet each Consulate does things slightly differently. Depends I guess how they class an emergency.

DanniU Jun 6th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9414140)
I guess how quick they get back varies from Consulate to another. Judging from comments posted here, they seem to not issue an ETD until the last minute. Not sure if living someway from the Consulate, I would have a 2 hour flight just to get to San Fransisco, means they are more accommodating to people living far away, than those on the doorstep so to speak.

right, I hear you. Its interesting ,when I did my research for the application moths ago, they just said 4 weeks for the app, but they have changed the site in the last few weeks to now state that it is 4 weeks from payment processing. Had I known that, I would not be in this boat.

Thanks for your help. I just wish there was some way to expedite.

lyonsden1193 Jun 6th 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by DanniU (Post 9414163)
right, I hear you. Its interesting ,when I did my research for the application moths ago, they just said 4 weeks for the app, but they have changed the site in the last few weeks to now state that it is 4 weeks from payment processing. Had I known that, I would not be in this boat.

Thankyou, I did not think I had mis-read that when I looked as well(ref to earlier posts about turn round time). I too would have waited till after my (hopefully upcoming trip). Why can't they do what they did before many years ago in swansea PP office. For a reasonable fee they extended the passport to allow people to resolve problems of travel.. I'm more than willing to do that again and certainly willing to pay a fee for that.

lansbury Jun 6th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by DanniU (Post 9414163)

Hope I've got this the right way around. Renewals can be expedited, new applications cannot.

The Consulate might be willing to try and get yours expedited, keep after them, don't wait until they call you back, and then ask. If not send our member British Consul (Dean) a PM and ask him if he can help.

DanniU Jun 6th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9414196)
Hope I've got this the right way around. Renewals can be expedited, new applications cannot.

The Consulate might be willing to try and get yours expedited, keep after them, don't wait until they call you back, and then ask. If not send our member British Consul (Dean) a PM and ask him if he can help.

yes it is a renewal, but when you call the consulate there is no option on the automated answer to select a human, only to leave a message to request an appointment. would love to speak to someone… waiting for a call back is killing me

DanniU Jun 6th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9414189)
Thankyou, I did not think I had mis-read that when I looked as well(ref to earlier posts about turn round time). I too would have waited till after my (hopefully upcoming trip). Why can't they do what they did before many years ago in swansea PP office. For a reasonable fee they extended the passport to allow people to resolve problems of travel.. I'm more than willing to do that again and certainly willing to pay a fee for that.

yes absolutely, an extension would be a brilliant idea, they could just stamp the passports and send them back… great suggestion…. anyone in Washington listening????

renu5idhu Jun 6th 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Guys, just giving you all an update... last time i posted on here i was waiting for someone from the careline or who ever they send an e-mail out to, to call me back "it can take up to 3 days for someone to get back to you" that was last monday!!! Im still waiting for a call!! so i called the consulate in vancouver last thursday to make an appointment and i spoke to a helpful person, who told me that washington had a system error that caused the back log and that anyone who calls for an update or to look into things cause a further delay and that she wouldnt be calling washington in my case and that i am able to get an ETD however it doesnt guarantee that the USA will let me in... im am meant to be driving over to bellingham for my flight... im still hopeful that i'll get my passport back...(i know its a loosing battle for me... one can still hope)

Simosa88 Jun 6th 2011 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by renu5idhu (Post 9414431)
Hi Guys, just giving you all an update... last time i posted on here i was waiting for someone from the careline or who ever they send an e-mail out to, to call me back "it can take up to 3 days for someone to get back to you" that was last monday!!! Im still waiting for a call!! so i called the consulate in vancouver last thursday to make an appointment and i spoke to a helpful person, who told me that washington had a system error that caused the back log and that anyone who calls for an update or to look into things cause a further delay and that she wouldnt be calling washington in my case and that i am able to get an ETD however it doesnt guarantee that the USA will let me in... im am meant to be driving over to bellingham for my flight... im still hopeful that i'll get my passport back...(i know its a loosing battle for me... one can still hope)

Hey there, has your card been charged yet? I think mine got charged on Friday (3rd June) but the transaction hasn't fully gone through yet i.e. available balance has changed. Hopefully you wont be far behind. My application arrived in washington on 2nd May.

hummingbird_flutterby Jun 6th 2011 8:45 pm

Hello,

Newbie here. My DH submitted his renewal application back in April and had his card charged a couple of weeks ago. Just had an email that we don't understand. Has anyone else here had to provide evidence of "Home Office Registration"?

Thanks,

HB.

hummingbird_flutterby Jun 6th 2011 8:47 pm

Should probably add he was born in HK pre-1983 but his and his parents passports look identical to mine and I was born in the UK. He's never been asked anything like this before.