British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

AnneSophiesDad Jun 1st 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9403406)
Contact your local British Consulate and make an appointment to attend and have it issued.

Thanks.

magsworld Jun 1st 2011 11:06 pm

I got my son's passport today. My timeline was

Received at Washington April 11th

Card charged May 19th

Began to get worried as we are flying on June 12th. Last week passport was listed as "processing" but careline could not give me an indication of when it would be ready. They said it would be at least 4 weeks from date of charge.

I asked Dean if he could help and also sent a polite letter to Washington with a copy of my flight details.

Result - received passport today. Just over 7 weeks from start to finish but clearly it would not have happened without the right intervention.

Very thankful that I came across this forum and all the helpful people here.

magsworld Jun 2nd 2011 12:03 am

Originally Posted by magsworld (Post 9403823)

Card charged May 19th

Began to get worried as we are flying on June 12th. Last week passport was listed as "processing" but careline could not give me an indication of when it would be ready. They said it would be at least 4 weeks from date of charge.

I asked Dean if he could help and also sent a polite letter to Washington with a copy of my flight details.

Result - received passport today. Just over 7 weeks from start to finish but clearly it would not have happened without the right intervention.

I should add that was a multiple destination trip that would not have been covered by the Emergency Travel Doc. Hence my panic. I was looking to start picking our itinerary apart in order to meet the requirements.

JAJ Jun 2nd 2011 2:10 am

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403165)
WOW,
... if they are receiving that volume of applications (300 PER DAY or 1500 per week! :ohmy: ) then I would say
getting any kind of result or action in less than 12 weeks is ALMOST a miracle.

It's nothing compared to what the Passport Office in Britain receive, they're able to cope. No reason why the office in Washington shouldn't be able to cope either.

Brigette Jun 2nd 2011 4:15 am

Quick question... has anyone had their passport delivered to their job? I unfortunately am not home to sign for packages and I just wanted to know if anyone has done this in the past.

There is a section on the form for delivery address (and it sends you to a different section to list your current address) but before I do that, I just wanted to make sure others have done this without any problems

rford1068 Jun 2nd 2011 4:31 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9403406)
Contact your local British Consulate and make an appointment to attend and have it issued.

New to forum...trying to figure out way to get passport (in renewal) or ETD to travel to UK.
What are the "requirements" for ETD?
If the passport is in renewal; the credit charge has been charged; still waiting for its return and a pending travel date/flights.......does this get qualified as Emergency Travel??? How is this handled at the Consular level?

trinbrit Jun 2nd 2011 10:46 am

Card charged May 19th

well it looks like your one of the lucky ones,just over 7 weeks i am going into my 10th week,i have hesitated to call as i know reading all of these that they are choked so i wouldn't want to run up that other bill,and being a radio journalist was hoping to start making some travel plans so am hoping that it will be here soon. The amount of calls and msgs that dean must be getting i do feel sorry for him as it will be a lot.
so am sat here fingers crossed and waiting that it will be soon. PS dean if your reading pls help hehe Have a great day everybody.

British Consul Jun 2nd 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by rford1068 (Post 9404331)
New to forum...trying to figure out way to get passport (in renewal) or ETD to travel to UK.
What are the "requirements" for ETD?
If the passport is in renewal; the credit charge has been charged; still waiting for its return and a pending travel date/flights.......does this get qualified as Emergency Travel??? How is this handled at the Consular level?

Yes. Call your local British Consulate and listen to the recorded message, if you think it's something you want to apply for then select the option to make an appointment.

Generally speaking, you decide whether it's an emergency and we'll check into your passport records to determine if we can issue one to you. When our offices are closed (4.30pm to 9.00am weekdays and all weekend) our Global Response Centre will make a determination on the urgency of your request and if they need to call staff out to issue a document during these times. You'll pay a call out fee of $215 per hour for this service on top of the ETD fee.

Hope this helps.

Dean

trinbrit Jun 2nd 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9405181)
Yes. Call your local British Consulate and listen to the recorded message, if you think it's something you want to apply for then select the option to make an appointment.

Generally speaking, you decide whether it's an emergency and we'll check into your passport records to determine if we can issue one to you. When our offices are closed (4.30pm to 9.00am weekdays and all weekend) our Global Response Centre will make a determination on the urgency of your request and if they need to call staff out to issue a document during these times. You'll pay a call out fee of $215 per hour for this service on top of the ETD fee.

Hope this helps.

Dean

Well done dean,as busy as you are great of you to personally jump on and render some advice your a scholar and a gentleman,I guess its just human nature for people to panic when waiting almost the same as waiting for the number 2... Still you guys are doing a good job as well as everyone who is posting there time lines am sure people like dean and his staff are doing there best to expidite PP asap..... Am still waiting like everyone else but patience guys we are all only human.

Simosa88 Jun 2nd 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9405181)

Hope this helps.

Dean

Hey guys, I applied for a replacement passport as mine was lost. Does anybody know if this would take EVEN longer than the renewals which judging by the posts on this forum are taking 11 weeks! If so, goodbye USA trip :(. Recieved in DC on May 2nd and credit card still not charged.

nabejb0709 Jun 3rd 2011 1:28 pm

Card charged May 19th

Just of interest, is your new passport a biometric bird design passport or a new style passport produced since October 2010 in UK (this is a ultra thin laminate data page compared to the thick hard data page of the bird design one)?

British Consul Jun 3rd 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by nabejb0709 (Post 9407638)
Just of interest, is your new passport a biometric bird design passport or a new style passport produced since October 2010 in UK (this is a ultra thin laminate data page compared to the thick hard data page of the bird design one)?

Answered in other thread. New style passports are only issued in the UK.

Dean

Linden.g Jun 4th 2011 2:31 pm

Akatomw, thank you so much for the very helpfull advice. I'm in a similar situation, our family have booked flights for the 21st of June to the UK. The application was mailed 4th April, credit card payment went out April 19th and still no sign of the renewed passport.
All the best
Linden

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403123)
In my case my British Passport arrived today.

I will spell out my exact time line.

I can see my time line is like many others here, OF course I did not think it would take this long, My application was received in Washington DC on Mar 9

Received Mar 9 2011

Money taken off Visa Card on April 6 2011

So now,

On May 24th I came on the forum to see what others had to say and post about how long I had been waiting since Mar 9 when I sent in the application. (I had a record via courier of it being received by the Passport office on Mar 9th).

I was encouraged here to send a PM to Dean Churm.

I think it is true they don't "kick into action" or escalate your case until 5 days before your travel date.

When I sent in my application I filled in June 1st as my travel date.

I contacted Dean Churm in PM May 25 with a polite enquiry and noted the timeline so far (as noted above) and reminded him of my June 1st travel date.
On the next day May 26th he calmly replied, he would look into it. (I believe he did and I am pretty sure he was
instrumental in getting my passport to me on June 1st. Thanks Dean! :) )

Several days later, they called my work number to tell me it was on the way, and it finally arrived today via UPS.

My sense was that they did escalate the case even though they took the cash off the credit card on April 9th.
When the "crunch" came (and I contacted Dean Churm), it was within 5 days of my stated travel date.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement from AmerLisa :) and everyone else.

If you are waiting for your passport (AND they have already taken the money off your credit card ;) )
AND you are within 6 days of your travel date, I would NOT hesitate to contact Dean Churm via PM on this board.

For me the wait time in total was Mar 9th to June 1st or just about 11 weeks
(Credit card charged April 6th or 7 weeks from time of card charged)

I understand from others on here that about 12 weeks total wait time is becoming the new "normal".
(and yes, I understand some of you reading this are expecting to travel on your NEW passport
much sooner then 12 weeks after you sent in your application.)

Good Luck :)

cheryl56 Jun 4th 2011 7:23 pm

Daughters applications recieved on March 5th,called careline 3 weeks ago,given general info of there being delays and should get it in about 2 weeks! Called again on the 31st May,given a case # and told that someone would be in contact within 3 business days,well,that didn't happen.Daughter called again on Friday and told that someone would call her before end of business day...still waiting for that phone call! Sent a email to careline but as other posts have stated that doesn't generate anything except a standard email back!
I'm trying to stay calm for my family's sake but I'm panicking coz our trip date is coming up real fast and I'm running out of ideas on what to do,phonecalls don't seem to help and also cost mega bucks which I resent paying.
I thought 4 mths would be plenty of time to renew passports so airline tickets have been bought :(

cheryl56 Jun 4th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Linden.g (Post 9410030)
Akatomw, thank you so much for the very helpfull advice. I'm in a similar situation, our family have booked flights for the 21st of June to the UK. The application was mailed 4th April, credit card payment went out April 19th and still no sign of the renewed passport.
All the best
Linden

I feel for you Linden, am in the same situation as you,see my post below.Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us:fingerscrossed: