British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

renu5idhu May 31st 2011 12:27 am

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by magsworld (Post 9398556)
I found it amazing how inconsistent they seem to be. I called last week, my flight is June 12th, they have had my passport for over 7 weeks now and he said they could only escalate my case 5 days before date of travel.

There looking to see if my passport is actually there... USPS has no further information on the tracking number only that it was in transit to the final destination and no more information will be avialable... I dont think they will escalate it, although i am due to travel june 28th. I agree on the inconsistant information, some of them are nice and some really dont care i think... maybee its to do on the time of day you call....

trinbrit May 31st 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by renu5idhu (Post 9398565)
There looking to see if my passport is actually there... USPS has no further information on the tracking number only that it was in transit to the final destination and no more information will be avialable... I dont think they will escalate it, although i am due to travel june 28th. I agree on the inconsistant information, some of them are nice and some really dont care i think... maybee its to do on the time of day you call....

mornin guys

Well if they are having 300 apps a day then that explains everything of the delay but i would as a manager bring in extra staff to help with the back log but i am sure that they are working as hard and fast as they can.so again fingers crossed will give you guys my full time line when i get mine but am sure its another 2 wks but do hope that it is less.

akatomw Jun 1st 2011 5:59 pm

In my case my British Passport arrived today.

I will spell out my exact time line.

I can see my time line is like many others here, OF course I did not think it would take this long, My application was received in Washington DC on Mar 9

Received Mar 9 2011

Money taken off Visa Card on April 6 2011

So now,

On May 24th I came on the forum to see what others had to say and post about how long I had been waiting since Mar 9 when I sent in the application. (I had a record via courier of it being received by the Passport office on Mar 9th).

I was encouraged here to send a PM to Dean Churm.

I think it is true they don't "kick into action" or escalate your case until 5 days before your travel date.

When I sent in my application I filled in June 1st as my travel date.

I contacted Dean Churm in PM May 25 with a polite enquiry and noted the timeline so far (as noted above) and reminded him of my June 1st travel date.
On the next day May 26th he calmly replied, he would look into it. (I believe he did and I am pretty sure he was
instrumental in getting my passport to me on June 1st. Thanks Dean! :) )

Several days later, they called my work number to tell me it was on the way, and it finally arrived today via UPS.

My sense was that they did escalate the case even though they took the cash off the credit card on April 9th.
When the "crunch" came (and I contacted Dean Churm), it was within 5 days of my stated travel date.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement from AmerLisa :) and everyone else.

If you are waiting for your passport (AND they have already taken the money off your credit card ;) )
AND you are within 6 days of your travel date, I would NOT hesitate to contact Dean Churm via PM on this board.

For me the wait time in total was Mar 9th to June 1st or just about 11 weeks
(Credit card charged April 6th or 7 weeks from time of card charged)

I understand from others on here that about 12 weeks total wait time is becoming the new "normal".
(and yes, I understand some of you reading this are expecting to travel on your NEW passport
much sooner then 12 weeks after you sent in your application.)

Good Luck :)

PandG Jun 1st 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403123)
In my case my British Passport arrived today.

I will spell out my exact time line.

I can see my time line is like many others here, OF course I did not think it would take this long, My application was received in Washington DC on Mar 9

Received Mar 9 2011

Money taken off Visa Card on April 6 2011

So now,

On May 24th I came on the forum to see what others had to say and post about how long I had been waiting since Mar 9 when I sent in the application. (I had a record via courier of it being received by the Passport office on Mar 9th).

I was encouraged here to send a PM to Dean Churm.

I think it is true they don't "kick into action" or escalate your case until 5 days before your travel date.

When I sent in my application I filled in June 1st as my travel date.

I contacted Dean Churm in PM May 25 with a polite enquiry and noted the timeline so far (as noted above) and reminded him of my June 1st travel date. On the next day May 26th calmly replied he would look into it.

Then they called my work number to tell me it was on the way, and it arrived today via UPS.

My sense was that they did escalate the case even though the took the cash off the credit card on April 9th when the "crunch" came and it was withing 5 days of my stated travel date.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement from AmerLisa :) and everyone else.

If you are waiting for your passport (AND they have taken the money off your credit card ;) ) AND you are within 6 days of your travel date, I would NOT hesitate to contact Dean Churm via PM on this board.
Good Luck :)

Great info. I PMed Dean about my daughters 1st passport and he advised it is taking 12 weeks for new passports right now. So their 6 weeks as posted is evidently incorrect. My application dates are similar to yours, so I've pushed back making any further enquiries until after June 24th now!

I don't have a flight booked, so no hurry, but it's frustrating not to have some way to know what is going on without spending a kings ransom on a supposed "helpline". Boo to that! :thumbdown: Hurray for Dean :thumbsup:

akatomw Jun 1st 2011 6:14 pm

I just called careline again today, the man was helpful...
snip
.. he also mentioned that they are receiving over 300 applications a day... will keep you all posted...
WOW,
... if they are receiving that volume of applications (300 PER DAY or 1500 per week! :ohmy: ) then I would say
getting any kind of result or action in less than 12 weeks is ALMOST a miracle.

renu5idhu Jun 1st 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403165)
WOW,
... if they are receiving that volume of applications (300 PER DAY or 1500 per week! :ohmy: ) then I would say

yep im still praying for one!!!

PandG Jun 1st 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403165)
WOW,

78000 per year...and all just to Washington? So exactly how many British Expats are there in the world?! lol :rolleyes:

akatomw Jun 1st 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by PandG (Post 9403278)
78000 per year...and all just to Washington? So exactly how many British Expats are there in the world?! lol :rolleyes:

Don't forget, the way the "rules" work, some of them may be sons and/or daughters and/or spouses of Expats so that could REALLY add up ;).

Bob Jun 1st 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by PandG (Post 9403278)

Washington processes more than US based Brit passports...

And you're extrapolating the passport application rate of the moment to be continuously the same through out the year, which is wrong.

akatomw Jun 1st 2011 7:33 pm

It may be "wrong" (?) but its just fun with math to extrapolate the numbers. ;)

PandG Jun 1st 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403370)
It may be "wrong" (?) but its just fun with math to extrapolate the numbers. ;)

Exactly...it's like one of those daft spam emails that deducts however many hours and minutes for all the things you do all day, and you end up with "Zero" hours to do any work.

I bet you could create one that mathematically proves that every person on this planet owns a British passport! lol. :eek:

AnneSophiesDad Jun 1st 2011 7:40 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the emergency travel document? I sent my old passport in for renewal on April 12 but still haven't received it. I have a trip coming up on June 8th.....
Thanks.

akatomw Jun 1st 2011 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by AnneSophiesDad (Post 9403388)
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the emergency travel document? I sent my old passport in for renewal on April 12 but still haven't received it. I have a trip coming up on June 8th.....
Thanks.

I guess the first thing is have they charged your credit card yet?

If so, contact Dean Churm via PM here, and see if they can arrange to get your's issued and sent out by June 7th (IMO there is still time to escalate your case).

They seem to take it more seriously when it comes down to 5 days before your travel date. FWIW YMMV

lansbury Jun 1st 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by AnneSophiesDad (Post 9403388)
Thanks.

Contact your local British Consulate and make an appointment to attend and have it issued.

AnneSophiesDad Jun 1st 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by akatomw (Post 9403397)
I guess the first thing is have they charged your credit card yet?

If so, contact Dean Churm via PM here, and see if they can arrange to get your's issued and sent out by June 7th (IMO there is still time to escalate your case).

They seem to take it more seriously when it comes down to 5 days before your travel date. FWIW YMMV

Thanks so much. I will contact him.