British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

ranaldmacd Jul 6th 2009 10:49 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7699744)
The "generic" email you mention will give an indication as to whether your status request is being worked on, and you will have been given advice as to when/if our staff will contact you. The people handling the on-line status enquiries are not in the same location as those processing the passports and are solely tracking and managing urgent applications. If the passport examiners find there is a problem with your application, they will contact you separately.

I also have been waiting since April and am getting extremely worried since I am supposed to be leaving this week.

ranaldmacd Jul 6th 2009 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jdatlas (Post 7717759)
I sent my application in on June 8 and the money was taken from my credit card on June 24. I am hoping that means my passport should be here very soon.

I feel your pain.

ranaldmacd Jul 6th 2009 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jdatlas (Post 7717759)
I sent my application in on June 8 and the money was taken from my credit card on June 24. I am hoping that means my passport should be here very soon.

I am now getting extremely worried.

dave2702 Jul 7th 2009 8:02 pm

Does anyone know that when you hold a Greencard does the UK passport need to be valid for 6 months or more? I know this is the case with visa travel but can't find an answer about how much time I need left on my current passport

I have to travel in early October and seeing these tales of passport delays I'm wondering if I dare risk travelling with a passport that expires in Feb 2010 or maybe send it over to my parents for them to submit it to the UK passport office

JAJ Jul 7th 2009 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by dave2702 (Post 7732165)
Does anyone know that when you hold a Greencard does the UK passport need to be valid for 6 months or more?

No.

I know this is the case with visa travel
It's not the case for visa travel either, at least not with British passports.

Bob Jul 8th 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7732285)

It's not the case for visa travel either, at least not with British passports.

As long as they're machine readable...saying that, KSA embassy was the only place I thought that didn't issue machine readable passports, though they might have fixed that in the last year or so.

JAJ Jul 8th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7732679)
As long as they're machine readable...saying that, KSA embassy was the only place I thought that didn't issue machine readable passports, though they might have fixed that in the last year or so.

Machine readable passports are only needed for the visa waiver scheme. If you have a US visa, or a green card, any valid passport will do.

British Consul Jul 8th 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ranaldmacd (Post 7729408)
I also have been waiting since April and am getting extremely worried since I am supposed to be leaving this week.

Sorted. Passport had been ready since 30 June but application marked for self collection from Washington.

Dean

Jdatlas Jul 8th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7733963)
Sorted. Passport had been ready since 30 June but application marked for self collection from Washington.

Dean

Oops. I hope I didn't accidentally check that box too.

mplsbrit Jul 9th 2009 5:30 am

Hi. I overnighted my passport for renewal today to DC. We have 5 non-refundable tickets to travel to France August 10 from Minneapolis. Are the delays easing up? Is a shade over 5 weeks anywhere near enough for a renewal?

Who is Dean? He seems like a magic worker?

Please advise. Thanks...

Steve

mplsbrit Jul 9th 2009 5:35 am

Originally Posted by dave2702 (Post 7732165)
Does anyone know that when you hold a Greencard does the UK passport need to be valid for 6 months or more? I know this is the case with visa travel but can't find an answer about how much time I need left on my current passport

I have to travel in early October and seeing these tales of passport delays I'm wondering if I dare risk travelling with a passport that expires in Feb 2010 or maybe send it over to my parents for them to submit it to the UK passport office

i renewed a passport while in the uk and got a visa, but used a locally based visa consultant in london to expedite. This was a number of years ago but it on ly took a couple of weeks.

The_English_Bride Jul 10th 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7712733)
I haven't received a PM, but from what you've said, you do have the option to get an emergency one-way passport from your nearest Consulate. I'm presuming you don't need to travel back to the US, so we can cancel your passport application and then you can apply for a new passport when you get back to the UK.

For any other US residents needing to travel urgently, we can offer a Temporary Passport service which will give you a passport valid for up to one year. Our Los Angeles and Orlando offices offer this service by appointment. The Orlando office will also process an application and mail it to you in exceptional circumstances (but you will need to go to your nearest consulate to fill out the application forms and to get your identity verified first).

Dean

I am planning to go home this christmas for the first time in four years. From what I've read, even though I have over four months or so to get a new passport, I am concerned. I am applying for a renewal, but I also need to have my name changed, which may slow things down too. Any suggestions? Do you think i'll get it back by mid December if I apply now?

Jdatlas Jul 10th 2009 3:38 pm

Just got a call from the Passport Office in Washington! My passport is being sent out today and should be here on Monday! Phew! The whole process has taken about 5 weeks. I sent the application by registered mail on June 8, 2009 and I sent my credit card information rather than deal with a money order. It will be here on July 13, 2009. Less than the six weeks they predicted. I am so relieved.

I must admit when I first answered the phone I was worried that they were calling because there was a problem. That would have been terrible as we are flying in two weeks.

Hope this reassures those of you who have sent in your application recently.

Dalgety Jul 11th 2009 6:56 pm

My passport is at the Washington Embassy - sent a month ago - the credit cart payment was processed 23rd June, my mother passed away this morning in Canada and I am in Georgia, USA - does anyone know how to contact any emergency number so I can get my passport in a hurry.
Thanks.

Jdatlas Jul 11th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dalgety (Post 7743666)
My passport is at the Washington Embassy - sent a month ago - the credit cart payment was processed 23rd June, my mother passed away this morning in Canada and I am in Georgia, USA - does anyone know how to contact any emergency number so I can get my passport in a hurry.
Thanks.

So sorry to hear about your mother.

It sounds like you sent your application in at the same time as me and processed your payment at the same time they processed mine. My passport is arriving Monday and I have a feeling you'll be getting a phone call that yours is arriving any day now too.

meauxna Jul 11th 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks.

I'm so sorry to see your news; what is your US immigration status?

If you are a US Permanent Resident (green card) you may be able to travel with just your green card if it comes to that.

I hope there are some answers for you in reviewing this thread; best wishes.

Dalgety Jul 11th 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jdatlas (Post 7743677)
So sorry to hear about your mother.

It sounds like you sent your application in at the same time as me and processed your payment at the same time they processed mine. My passport is arriving Monday and I have a feeling you'll be getting a phone call that yours is arriving any day now too.

Thank you for your wishes and reply.May I ask how you found out you are getting your passport on Monday?
Thanks.

Dalgety Jul 11th 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7743709)
I'm so sorry to see your news; what is your US immigration status?

If you are a US Permanent Resident (green card) you may be able to travel with just your green card if it comes to that.

I hope there are some answers for you in reviewing this thread; best wishes.

I have a green card but I understand you no longer can travel without a valid passport. Thanks.

meauxna Jul 11th 2009 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dalgety (Post 7743815)
I have a green card but I understand you no longer can travel without a valid passport. Thanks.

Well, being Canada and a land crossing it all that makes the difference.
I thought like you did, that the past June 1 WHTI change would not make this possible, but this answer has been updated since June 1. I'd still check further, and you need to see what the Canadians need (and be crossing a land border vs flying).
It's worth looking into if you can't find the passport.

Question
What documents, identification, paperwork does a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (LPR) need to travel internationally?
Answer

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

* ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

* On June 1, 2009 all U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 16 and older traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid passport, passport card, Frequent Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST), Enhanced Driver's License (for residents in states that issue them) or Military ID with travel orders (see below). U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 15 years old or younger may travel with just a copy of their birth certificate, as may teens between the ages of 16-18 if they are part of an adult supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group.

* Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holder's) do NOT need a passport to enter the United States, however you may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

*Military personnel traveling under orders may present photo id and orders. Family members must present a passport (with the exception of children 15 and younger arriving by land or sea).

Lawful permanent residents (LPR's), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to persons with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States. LPR's may still need to present a passport for entry into a foreign destination. For this reason airlines may deny boarding to LPR's traveling without a passport.

If traveling from outside the Western Hemisphere, all U.S. citizens MUST present a passport, including children and infants.

For information about what documents are required for a U.S. resident to enter a foreign country, we advise you to contact the embassy or consulate general of the country you intend to travel to in order to find out what documents they require you to have for entry. It is important to understand that some Western Hemisphere countries require you to have a passport for entry into their country, even though the U.S. does not require you to have one to re-enter the U.S.

Jdatlas Jul 11th 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dalgety (Post 7743811)
Thank you for your wishes and reply.May I ask how you found out you are getting your passport on Monday?
Thanks.

I actually got a phone call from the passport office on Friday. I was concerned at first that they were calling to say there was a problem but they wanted to give me a tracking number and told me to expect my passport to be delivered by UPS on Monday.

sirwatson1 Jul 11th 2009 11:24 pm

wow, in the same boat as you all.
I live in the United States and I am an American citizen, but my father is a British citizen. I am eligible for a British passport and so I turned in all of the necessary paperwork to apply for a British passport on the 12th of May.

How long should it take for a first time passport?

I have sent letters of complaint to the consulate and production centre because no one has contacted me and I have no info on what is going on. Careline service has wasted my time and $50 with NO answers.

May 12: turned in application
May 30: they charged my credit card
Today is the 11th of July: I have no idea what is going on, no one will contact me and I cannot get through to anybody.

honey22 Jul 13th 2009 6:28 am

An update on my situation.... and a happy ending!! I got my passport on the 9th . Its been 8 weeks since I submitted my application. Now finally its over and I can get on with my life!

Good luck to every one else. Once again my thanks to Dean for all his help.

British Consul Jul 13th 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks.

So sorry to hear about your mother. If you haven't already done so, please complete an on-line enquiry form at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...status-inquiry

You will receive an email saying that we're working on your enquiry, but you'll also receive a call once we've determined where your application is in the system. IF we can't get your passport to you soon, we will run through the options for obtaining an Emergency or Temporary Passport with you.

Hope this helps.

Dean

sirwatson1 Jul 13th 2009 2:35 pm

glad to hear honey! happy for you. :)

and yes, Dean's help is invaluable. bless him

suesann Jul 13th 2009 4:48 pm

I have been trying to get information about the whereabouts of my childrens passport renewal for several weeks now. I live in Canada and Washington DC received their applications on May 26th and took their fees on June 10th. We have already missed 2 travel dates after the automated enquiry system had told me the passports would be back before our travel dates. I have made 4 calls to Abtran/Careline and although they are very polite they don't appear to have the authority or ability to actually find out anything. I eventually got a message from Washington last week telling me that the applications had been sent to Hong Kong for processing! Again, the lady I spoke to was very polite but completely unable to give me any real information other than the passports are somewhere between Hong Kong and Washington... It has been over 6 weeks now and I have appointments with Immigration Canada on July 21st to collect our PR cards and they won't issue those to us unless we present our passports. I have flights booked to visit my new grandchildren in the UK in 3 weeks and I have a really horible feeling that my kids passorts are not going to materialize in time. How can they send them to Hong Kong and then have no way of tracking them or getting up-to-date information on where exactly they are?? The woman I spoke to in Washington gave me the impression that she didnt know exactly where they were, and had no way of finging out and we should just wait... I'm so stressed out about it all and it's the lack of information that is the real killer.
Has anyone else heard of North American renewal applications being sent to Hong Kong???

Susan

suesann Jul 13th 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7748269)
So sorry to hear about your mother. If you haven't already done so, please complete an on-line enquiry form at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...status-inquiry

You will receive an email saying that we're working on your enquiry, but you'll also receive a call once we've determined where your application is in the system. IF we can't get your passport to you soon, we will run through the options for obtaining an Emergency or Temporary Passport with you.

Hope this helps.

Dean

I completed this enquiry form twice and was told that my childrens passports would be processed by my travel date and that they would contact me if they would not be ready. I have now missed 2 travel dates and nobody contacted me to tell me that the passorts would not be ready after all... My experience of this enquiry service is that it is not reliable because nobody seems to be following up on the original respose you receive.

Susan

British Consul Jul 13th 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by suesann (Post 7748788)
I have been trying to get information about the whereabouts of my childrens passport renewal for several weeks now. I live in Canada and Washington DC received their applications on May 26th and took their fees on June 10th. We have already missed 2 travel dates after the automated enquiry system had told me the passports would be back before our travel dates. I have made 4 calls to Abtran/Careline and although they are very polite they don't appear to have the authority or ability to actually find out anything. I eventually got a message from Washington last week telling me that the applications had been sent to Hong Kong for processing! Again, the lady I spoke to was very polite but completely unable to give me any real information other than the passports are somewhere between Hong Kong and Washington... It has been over 6 weeks now and I have appointments with Immigration Canada on July 21st to collect our PR cards and they won't issue those to us unless we present our passports. I have flights booked to visit my new grandchildren in the UK in 3 weeks and I have a really horible feeling that my kids passorts are not going to materialize in time. How can they send them to Hong Kong and then have no way of tracking them or getting up-to-date information on where exactly they are?? The woman I spoke to in Washington gave me the impression that she didnt know exactly where they were, and had no way of finging out and we should just wait... I'm so stressed out about it all and it's the lack of information that is the real killer.
Has anyone else heard of North American renewal applications being sent to Hong Kong???

Susan

Send me a PM with your details and I'll ask someone to look into it for you.

Dean

Update on my earlier reply: I've seen your email to the BCG in Vancouver providing the information I need. Your passports have been sent to you today by UPS. We will be in touch by phone to provide a tracking number.

Dean

Jdatlas Jul 13th 2009 7:49 pm

I missed the delivery of my passport this morning. :(

I was sure there was no way it would be delivered before 9:30 a.m. so I went out for my 4 mile walk as usual. The UPS guy was on my doorstep at 9 a.m and my 18 yr old daughter couldn't sign for it as you have to be over 21 to sign for it. So tomorrow I have to stay home in the morning and I'm going to make sure I get my passport. Like some of the other posters I'm so ready for my passport to be here so that I can move on with my life.

emmarachel2009 Jul 13th 2009 8:45 pm

I'm in a desperate situation with my passport application and I wonder if anyone has any advice for me. I sent my passport from New York to Washington DC on May 25th and it was received by them on May 27th. The money was taken out of my account on June 9th. My passport was not about to expire, I simply wanted to have my name changed to my married name, because that was the name our green cards were issued in back in August of last year. Due to various emergency trips because of my father-in-law's ill health and subsequent death, I didn't have any time to change over my passport earlier. My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary this summer and had organized a huge family reunion in France for next week. I booked my flights and sent off my passport in May. As of today I have not received my passport back, nor heard anything from the embassy in DC.

I have spoken to Careline every day since Thursday when they escalated my case. I have heard nothing from the embassy in DC despite the Careline people sending off several emails. They tell me email is the only way they can contact the people there, not by phone.

I called the Consulate in NY and despite being able to speak to a very nice person there, they said there is not much they can do because my passport isn't lost or stolen, and the only travel documents they'd be able to issue regardless are ones that would get me one-way to the UK only - not anywhere else.

I'm beside myself about this and feel that I've exhausted every avenue but have made no progress and that there is no way now that I will make my flight.

Sorry for not having read through the previous thread. I'm trying to get some answers in a hurry if anyone has them.

Emma

British Consul Jul 13th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by emmarachel2009 (Post 7749276)
I'm in a desperate situation with my passport application and I wonder if anyone has any advice for me. I sent my passport from New York to Washington DC on May 25th and it was received by them on May 27th. The money was taken out of my account on June 9th. My passport was not about to expire, I simply wanted to have my name changed to my married name, because that was the name our green cards were issued in back in August of last year. Due to various emergency trips because of my father-in-law's ill health and subsequent death, I didn't have any time to change over my passport earlier. My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary this summer and had organized a huge family reunion in France for next week. I booked my flights and sent off my passport in May. As of today I have not received my passport back, nor heard anything from the embassy in DC.

I have spoken to Careline every day since Thursday when they escalated my case. I have heard nothing from the embassy in DC despite the Careline people sending off several emails. They tell me email is the only way they can contact the people there, not by phone.

I called the Consulate in NY and despite being able to speak to a very nice person there, they said there is not much they can do because my passport isn't lost or stolen, and the only travel documents they'd be able to issue regardless are ones that would get me one-way to the UK only - not anywhere else.

I'm beside myself about this and feel that I've exhausted every avenue but have made no progress and that there is no way now that I will make my flight.

Sorry for not having read through the previous thread. I'm trying to get some answers in a hurry if anyone has them.

Emma

Emma,

Please complete an on-line status enquiry at: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...status-inquiry

We will contact you to discuss your options, and we'll need the confirmation number from the airline you're travelling with. Hope this helps.

Dean

emmarachel2009 Jul 13th 2009 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7749474)
Emma,

Please complete an on-line status enquiry at: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...status-inquiry

We will contact you to discuss your options, and we'll need the confirmation number from the airline you're travelling with. Hope this helps.

Dean

I filled out this status inquiry online earlier today - there is nowhere to put the confirmation number from the airline on that form but I have it if anyone calls me - is there anything else I need to do? My flight number, airport, and destination were also on the several emails Careline sent to the embassy on my behalf.

Thanks for getting back to me.

suesann Jul 13th 2009 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7749106)
Send me a PM with your details and I'll ask someone to look into it for you.

Dean

Update on my earlier reply: I've seen your email to the BCG in Vancouver providing the information I need. Your passports have been sent to you today by UPS. We will be in touch by phone to provide a tracking number.

Dean

Thank you so much!! You're a star!! :thumbsup:

Dalgety Jul 14th 2009 3:22 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7748269)

Hope this helps.

Dean

Thank you for you respons and kind wishes Dean. I contacted Washington first thing Monday morning and was informed that the passports should arrive tomorrow(Tuesday) am via UPS, and I should be able to travel.
For those waiting for their passports please note that UPS did not update the online tracking number information about picking up the package
from the embassy until 9pm! So don't despair if the online system does not show your package in transit.

Nigel84 Jul 14th 2009 5:56 am

My first time application took just under 6 weeks from the time they received it until the time I got my passport today. That includes the application being sent back and me sending additional documentation. All in all pretty quick considering this is a first time application.

British Consul Jul 14th 2009 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by emmarachel2009 (Post 7749642)
I filled out this status inquiry online earlier today - there is nowhere to put the confirmation number from the airline on that form but I have it if anyone calls me - is there anything else I need to do? My flight number, airport, and destination were also on the several emails Careline sent to the embassy on my behalf.

Thanks for getting back to me.

We'll contact you again if we need the confirmation number. It all depends on the travel date you've given and whether we need to escalate your application to the front of the line.

Dean

emmarachel2009 Jul 14th 2009 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7751323)
We'll contact you again if we need the confirmation number. It all depends on the travel date you've given and whether we need to escalate your application to the front of the line.

Dean

Ok - thanks for your help! I travel this Friday - July 17th and my passport has been with the embassy since May 27th for which I have UPS tracking confirmation.

The_English_Bride Jul 14th 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7732930)
Machine readable passports are only needed for the visa waiver scheme. If you have a US visa, or a green card, any valid passport will do.

Does anyone have an official link to info on passport validity when travelling in and out of the US?

lansbury Jul 14th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 7751493)
Does anyone have an official link to info on passport validity when travelling in and out of the US?

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/uksite.html
Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

Bob Jul 14th 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7752283)
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/uksite.html
Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

just as long as it's a machine readabale passport, other wise you'll need the 6 months...but unless your passport was issues by the KSA embassy or a couple other places, it'll be machine readable.

Lover not a fighter Jul 15th 2009 12:38 am

Originally Posted by emmarachel2009 (Post 7751330)
Ok - thanks for your help! I travel this Friday - July 17th and my passport has been with the embassy since May 27th for which I have UPS tracking confirmation.

Just a note for all those who are waiting for new passports. I've just received a mail from the passport centre stating that processing times are returning to normal and that I will receive my passport within my date of travel to the UK, 20th July.

I only sent my application off recently and I have PM'd Dean twice, prior to receiving the mail from the passport centre. His response has been excellent. Although I will relax fully when I'm holding my new passport tightly in my pinky's I feel alot more confident that this is going to get done in my admittedly tight time frame.

I get the feeling that the worst of the backlogs are over.

Why isn't there a thread on this site entitled, "Dean: He's the dogs bollocks" because I would recommend anyone who has any concerns such as this to contact him.