Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:56 pm
IOGM

Spikus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Spikus
Aaaaarrrgh!!! ... Washington now inform that the delay is because I supposedly have two passports and they need to verify the second..... I do NOT have two passports !!!
In the interest of continuity.... called Careline again today (5 1/2 weeks) - got to feel sorry for the shmuck at the other end, not his fault - and guess what.... "they know nothing and will escalate". I really do sympathize with the proverbial mushroom! Of course, no reply to any of the email I send to Washington.... but then again, why should they give a S&*t, they are only public servants after all! Would be fascinated to know what metrics they use to measure quality of service provided.... or am I just being naive again? Just like the time I believed what they said on their website. You would think I would know better after 29 years as an expat!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passport Delays

In the interest of continuity.... called Careline again today (5 1/2 weeks) - got to feel sorry for the shmuck at the other end, not his fault - and guess what.... "they know nothing and will escalate". I really do sympathize with the proverbial mushroom! Of course, no reply to any of the email I send to Washington.... but then again, why should they give a S&*t, they are only public servants after all! Would be fascinated to know what metrics they use to measure quality of service provided.... or am I just being naive again? Just like the time I believed what they said on their website. You would think I would know better after 29 years as an expat!
I'm not sure which email address you've used for the UK Passport Office in Washington as there isn't an advertised one. You might like to try the following instead:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ort-complaint/

and

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...dback-service/

Drop me a PM with the email address you've been using and I'll follow it up.

Dean

Last edited by British Consul; Jul 31st 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, after 29 years have you not acquired another passport (eg Canadian) which you could use instead?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:45 pm
IOGM

Originally Posted by British Consul
I'm not sure which email address you've used for the UK Passport Office in Washington as there isn't an advertised one. You might like to try the following instead:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ort-complaint/

and

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...dback-service/

Drop me a PM with the email address you've been using and I'll follow it up.

Dean
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Each time I call Careline, I receive an email the following day from Washington (in fact this is the only reason I now call Careline as I have come to realize that they themselves are completely useless) - will send PM with address. I then reply to these but then of course hear nothing back until I again call Careline. Unfortunately the emails I receive are contradictory and totally non-informative, they just add to the frustration but I cannot just sit here and do nothing. I have seen the two links that you provide and certainly plan to use them once I eventually/hopefully get a passport. My concern in using them now would be my file 'slipping' further down the pile in retribution. As you may gather my cynicism toward, and trust in, the entire service have reached appropriate levels, which is a shame as I have had a lot of contact with UK embassies and consuls around the world over the years and have never had reason to complain, quite the contrary in fact.

Last edited by Spikus; Jul 31st 2010 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:06 pm
IOGM

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, after 29 years have you not acquired another passport (eg Canadian) which you could use instead?
No... first of all, compared to colleagues of multiple nationalities, my UK passport has proven to be one of the easiest to travel on and I have had no reason to consider another nationality. Secondly, due to the nature of my job, my family and I change country of assignment approx every 3 years. We have been doing this for 29 years now and are on our second circuit of the world. So even if I did decide to add another passport, it would be difficult to meet the residency requirements.... we are never in one place for long enough!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No... first of all, compared to colleagues of multiple nationalities, my UK passport has proven to be one of the easiest to travel on and I have had no reason to consider another nationality. Secondly, due to the nature of my job, my family and I change country of assignment approx every 3 years. We have been doing this for 29 years now and are on our second circuit of the world. So even if I did decide to add another passport, it would be difficult to meet the residency requirements.... we are never in one place for long enough!
UK passport may not be as easy to travel on as it once was, therein lies your problem. As for the rest, moving every 3 years usually makes it impossible to acquire a foreign citizenship and unless you are keen to settle back in the United Kingdom at some point, perhaps that should be your priority now?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:49 pm
IOGM

Originally Posted by JAJ
UK passport may not be as easy to travel on as it once was, therein lies your problem. As for the rest, moving every 3 years usually makes it impossible to acquire a foreign citizenship and unless you are keen to settle back in the United Kingdom at some point, perhaps that should be your priority now?
Interesting comments, and I can assure you that we will not be settling in the UK. To be truthfull, I think we will find it difficult to settle in any one place after the lifestyle we have led and are making our plans accordingly. I have no fears for the future.... just want my passport back NOW.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:37 pm
IOGM

So, today marks 6 weeks since payment was taken and still no idea of when I can expect to receive passport. Vacation plans now totally destroyed, start date for new assignment in UAE on indefinite pause and the hotel room resembling a prison cell. Worst is yet to come when I have to call sister in UK and tell her that I will not be giving her away at her wedding. The arrogant indifference of Washington is unbelievable.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

eilis is an unknown quantity at this point

Passport arrived this morning! Four days before we travel, with of course no explanation as to why it was rejected the first time. I'm very relieved.
Originally Posted by eilis
My timeline:

We're (hopefully) leaving August 7th for our first trip "home" in six years. I sent off my passport for renewal and name change at the end of May. It doesn't expire until next March, but it still has my old name on it.

4th June: Application received at British Embassy in DC

16th June: Credit card charged

7th July: Application returned, rejected. Highlighted on the form letter as reason for rejection are the name change documents.

7th July: Call the "Careline". Representative confirms that I sent the right documents and the application should not have been returned. Recommends I send it back with additional evidence of new name and Strongly Worded Letter.

Still 7th July (busy day): Send application back with copies of all my photo ID, plus the documents I sent the first time, plus Strongly Worded Letter

8th July: Application received at British Embassy in DC

8th July: Credit card charged $13.30. Presumably return postage?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:58 pm
IOGM

Originally Posted by eilis
Passport arrived this morning! Four days before we travel, with of course no explanation as to why it was rejected the first time. I'm very relieved.
Glad to hear that things worked out for you in the end. Not at all surprised at lack of any explanation, or heaven forbid.... an apology for trouble or anxiety caused! These people are a law unto themselves.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

eilis is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear that things worked out for you in the end. Not at all surprised at lack of any explanation, or heaven forbid.... an apology for trouble or anxiety caused! These people are a law unto themselves.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything...but dammit, I'd like to KNOW.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:29 am
JAJ
Retired

So, today marks 6 weeks since payment was taken and still no idea of when I can expect to receive passport. Vacation plans now totally destroyed, start date for new assignment in UAE on indefinite pause and the hotel room resembling a prison cell. Worst is yet to come when I have to call sister in UK and tell her that I will not be giving her away at her wedding. The arrogant indifference of Washington is unbelievable.
The short term option is an emergency passport ... have you asked for one? Unsure about UAE but it would probably get you into the UK and possibly back to Canada.

Longer term, if your wife is French, have you thought about becoming a French citizen (I think it still may be possible to become a French citizen by marriage), that way you could have a French passport.

Alternatively you could be one of the 10% or so of British citizens entitled to an Irish passport.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a suggestion - have you tried calling your local British Consulate and very politely asking them to make enquiries? Every British Consulate has Consular Officers who can help in certain circumstances and, failing expedition of your current passport application, they also issue "emergency passports". An "emergency passport" will get you into the UK and from there you can apply for the full passport using expedited service - I know this isn't ideal but might solve your travel problems.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:40 pm
Aja
Just Joined

Aja is an unknown quantity at this point

I just received my old passport back after 4 weeks exactly....Only problem is my new one was not with it

They Need something from me that i do not have ....ie up to date id photo on USA passport or alien reg card ....

I wanted to send a private message to the British consul on here but I need to leave a couple more posts before I can !!!!

Help !!!!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:08 pm
IOGM

Originally Posted by Picnic
Just a suggestion - have you tried calling your local British Consulate and very politely asking them to make enquiries? Every British Consulate has Consular Officers who can help in certain circumstances and, failing expedition of your current passport application, they also issue "emergency passports". An "emergency passport" will get you into the UK and from there you can apply for the full passport using expedited service - I know this isn't ideal but might solve your travel problems.
Thanks Picnic.... Oh believe me I have been calling the Consulate and Trade Office over the past two weeks and am led to understand that I now have both New York and Miami following up on my behalf. BTW, this is not a passport application, just a simple renewal (oxymoron!?) that has now extended to 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.