British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

aml1982 Jul 24th 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9516199)
Making sense doesn't always come into it as far as US Immigration is concerned. As I posted previously...I think it would be best if you ask the people in the US Imm forum.

Wasn't my question, I was just responding to the asker.

Jerseygirl Jul 24th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9516209)
You can choose to enter on the visa, or the VWP, if you're eligible for it. It's entering on the IR jobby to activate the visa that you can't chose to use the VWP for, according to a post on this question last summer.

As for using the EDT to enter the US, depends on POE officer.

OK thanks for clarifying Bob.

Zinfan Jul 24th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by celine_uk (Post 9515953)
I wish i had read this thread earlier, i've been a Canadian citizsen for a few years now and hold both CDN and UK passport, my UK passport expired in May, i know people must have asked this a 100 times but can i enter the UK using my CDN passport ??? ( i have a return ticket back to Canada)...

After reading this thread i think i am going to book an appointment at a UK passport office and get my passport while im in the UK on holiday!

Should be no problem, but maybe call a travel agent to confirm.

Bob Jul 24th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zinfan (Post 9516305)
Should be no problem, but maybe call a travel agent to confirm.

Travel agent might not know the answer....but as this has been answered already, numerous times...the quick answer is "yes, it can be done"

The UK doesn't require UKC's to enter the UK on their UK passport, unlike the US for instance. You just need to use a passport that is fit for the purpose of the trip, so from a country not needing a visa, that country passport would be more than enough.

Magicmickey Jul 25th 2011 12:38 am

So here is my up date, called Careline this evening and it would seem my pestering has paid off and the fact that i am travelling in 2 days!!!!! They told me my passports had been completed and printed and gave me a tracking number which I looked up and they are supposed to arrive on Monday:thumbsup: I of course won't be relieved until they are in my nervous, sweaty little hands, talk about cutting it fine, my flight being an early morning one this Wednesday!!!
I also emailed my local MP at home, one to see if they could offer help with my predicament but also in an attempt to get the information out at home, as apart from an article in the Telegraph.co.uk in June there pretty much has been nothing else in the media about our situation. I know that many of you have also contacted your local MP's, Number 10 and relatives in the UK amongst other things in an effort to disseminate this information and good on you. Hopefully someone will get the message and help to sort out this mess for those still caught in the middle of it all.
This site has been the only way most of us have not felt alone in this ordeal,
so thank goodness for all of us and this web site.:):):) For those of you still waiting for passports :fingerscrossed: I hope that they come through soon. To all of you who offered advice I thank you. Will let you know if they do indeed arrive in the nick of time.

eanne06 Jul 25th 2011 3:37 am

Has anyone sent in an application with missing paperwork/incorrect supporting documents? I did not send in my mother's dissolution of marriage certificate (the marriage before hers and my father's). They said they needed to prove that my parents' marriage certificate was legal. I have obtained the diss. of marriage cert. and I'm sending it off tomorrow, but I just wanted to know how long it usually takes once they receive it.

robbytnyc Jul 25th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by robbytnyc (Post 9509971)
Hi All,
Thanks for the great info posted on here. It's been very helpful.

Can anyone comment on the following scenario?
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.

So, my application was delivered on 6/30 by USPS but made it to whomever in the British Passport office in Washington that accepts packages and stamped on 7/18. Is the clock ticking as of 6/30 or 7/18? Anyone know?

Thanks!
- Rob

Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.
- Credit Card was charged on 7/20

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.

penguinbar Jul 25th 2011 4:05 pm

[QUOTE=robbytnyc;9517562]Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.[/QUO

It was 3 weeks from when they received my husbnads passport as well until they charged the card. Unfortunately it was 11 weeks after that when we actually received his passport! Luckily we had no travel plans. I never spoke to Careline. I hope everyone gets their passports soon!:fingerscrossed:

Magicmickey Jul 25th 2011 6:40 pm

Hooray, passports arrived this morning via UPS, 13 weeks from start to finish, 4 frantic calls to Careline, one email to Nicola Blackwood MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, lots of gnashing of teeth and the last 3 nights of little sleep worrying whether they would arrive in time!!!!!!! A big thank you to Sharon and Peter at Careline who sent the Washington office emails on my case. thank you to the "red team" at the passport office for getting the job done in time for me to take the grand kids home to see Granny and Grandad and their new cousin.
MrsEars hope your passport did arrive, I know you were due to travel about the same time as me.
To all of those waiting hope you get your passports soon, keep calling Careline, a stressful process but worth it in the end. Now just have to pack!!!!!!:eek:

geordie80815 Jul 25th 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for all advice ....finally got my passport sent 4th April ....recieved 19th July:thumbsup: Hope everyone else gets sorted..

boulty Jul 25th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by boulty (Post 9505607)
I have been travelling in South America for a while and all my pages got filled with stamps so I needed a passport renewal. British Embassy in Buenos Aires advised me to send existing passport to Washington. Tourist visa lasts 90 days in Argentina so I hope it arrives soon! Visa up on 6 AUG (but not a huge problem as can pay small fine to stay longer). Already cancelled four pre-arranged trips. Locked into Colombia trip in late August. May end up having to get ETD and additional visas. Is there anybody applying with any luck from South America?

09 May: Sent passport to DC from Buenos Aires by DHL
12 May: Passport received at Consular Service Washington
14 June: Passport application processed
16 June: CC Payment processed
19 July: Called Careline, spoke to Scottish Jane, 6 digit ref number (with no 'R'?) ..... told it could be another 10 weeks! Totally unacceptable.

Thinking about contacting local MP in UK to speed up the process.
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Boulty

I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Brilliant!!! Today I finally received my passport in Buenos Aires, thankfully, just in time to travel. I would highly recommend that you get your local MP involved. I was unimpressed with careline and found MP details by searching the web (after reading that someone had some joy on this thread). I contacted him by email and phone and they got the ball rolling straight away. In fact 4 days after contact, I had my passport! Apparently you can contact an MP even if you are an expat or maybe relatives could do so on your behalf.

All the best to those still waiting. I think the system must be starting to churn passports out a little quicker now. Fingers crossed for everyone :fingerscrossed:

My Timeline: whole process took two and a half months

09 May: Sent passport to DC from Buenos Aires by DHL
12 May: Passport received at Consular Service Washington
14 June: Passport application processed
16 June: CC Payment processed
19 July: Called Careline, spoke to Scottish Jane, 6 digit ref number (with no 'R'?) and told it could be another 10 weeks
20 July: Called Careline again, spoke to Scot, who said it would probably be another 3-5 weeks.
21 July: Contacted local MP (through assistant) in north east England who was horrified with situation and they contacted Foreign & Commonwealth Office
25 July: Passport received in Buenos Aires

:D

Shazban Jul 25th 2011 11:53 pm

Glad to see people getting their passports finally!!

FredCDobbs Jul 26th 2011 6:39 am

If anyone's interested, I did get a full refund of Careline charges by contesting them through the credit card company. Less than $30, but it was the principle of the thing. Evidently the passport people have conceded the principle, since Careline is now free. I imagine that anyone else who does the same will get a refund too.

giggimickey Jul 26th 2011 1:39 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me how much a emergency travel document costs.
Thank you.

OIG Jul 26th 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by giggimickey (Post 9520095)
Hi, can anyone tell me how much a emergency travel document costs.
Thank you.

Cost is $146 for ETD. If you use the service 'out of hours' they tag $211 on top of it. I'm looking at getting one right now since it doesn't look like my passport will come in time....

giggimickey Jul 26th 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by OIG (Post 9520222)
Cost is $146 for ETD. If you use the service 'out of hours' they tag $211 on top of it. I'm looking at getting one right now since it doesn't look like my passport will come in time....

Thanks OIG, not a cheap option but maybe the only one. We travel the end of next week so still hoping to get our passport back before then.

OIG Jul 26th 2011 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by giggimickey (Post 9520376)
Thanks OIG, not a cheap option but maybe the only one. We travel the end of next week so still hoping to get our passport back before then.

I misread it - it's $211 for every hour or part hour and for each member of staff up to $1502 for any 24 hour period - yikes! Have phoned my local consular office and they said they would rather that I didn't use the ETD until they had tried to expedite my passport since I travel (hopefully) on 6th August and should still have enough time. Try to phone them, you might have some luck.

penguinbar Jul 26th 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by FredCDobbs (Post 9519447)
If anyone's interested, I did get a full refund of Careline charges by contesting them through the credit card company. Less than $30, but it was the principle of the thing. Evidently the passport people have conceded the principle, since Careline is now free. I imagine that anyone else who does the same will get a refund too.

Good for you! I think anyone else who has called careline and has been charged should do the same! It's bad enough having the stress of waiting so long without being charged extra just to find out what's going on!

penguinbar Jul 26th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by OIG (Post 9520222)

That's outrageous! They really need to get their act together!

GBGIRAFFE Jul 27th 2011 4:53 am

I've been following this thread closely for a few weeks, since I discovered that my passport was going to expire Aug 9, and I had booked travel to UK on Aug 23. My time line so far is: Passport App sent overnight and received Jul 7. C/C charged July 26. It looks like they are speeding up the taking of payments. I would recommend that everyone do a C/C charge if possible. Fingers crossed. Just about 4 weeks to go 'til takeoff :-)

sueffun Jul 27th 2011 9:42 am

It seems Careline is only free to everyone in the US. I tried to call them again today from South Africa and they still want credit card details.

I phoned last week and someone phoned me two days later to say the passport had been sent to Fedex last week. I still have not received it and they said they would phone me back on Monday. Today is Wednesday and I still have not received another call.

I am now trying to get Fedex to find out where the passport has gone. I have also written to an MP in Worcester UK just to say how disgusting the service is, I thought that was an excellent idea by the other people on this site. Maybe if everyone contacted their MP's the whole system may be revised.

There is a Facebook page for various high commissions around the world and I joined the UK in South AFrica page, they do not respond to messages on that page either, I even wrote that I was going to take over their fb page in the hope it might just wake somebody up. But no it was just ignored. YOu could have fun with their page if nobody is monitoring it !!!:)

nursefoxfire Jul 27th 2011 2:41 pm

UPDATE: We got the passports!! They arrived yesterday morning via UPS. My husband was in the shower and had to answer the door wrapped in a towel :)

Originally Posted by nursefoxfire (Post 9507689)
Like the many people here who've had problems, we've run into some unique issues.

We're moving over to the UK in August, and I finally got my Settlement Visa for going over there (I'm a US citizen). My husband needed his UK passport renewed and our son needed a new UK passport.

Timeline:
  • passports and applications mailed 6th May (back when the website claimed 4-6 weeks processing time)
  • Received by Washington 9th May
  • credit card charged June 20th
  • Careline called July 11th and 18th

Both times we called Careline, we got through to someone who just didn't seem to care, and was unconcerned that we were running up against immigration deadlines, etc... However she DID promise to put in an email for us, expressing our delay issues.

She also asked if we'd booked tickets. We had, but had made sure they were WELL beyond what we'd need for a timing cushion, WE THOUGHT (back in early May, who knew late August would be an issue!). She issued us a case # followed by an 'R'.

However, yesterday we got a phone call from Iain, a Careline Team Lead. He said my husband's passport had been processed and they just had a question about our son's documentation.

A HEADS UP for anyone who might run into the same problem. Iain said that because I'd been overly helpful and included a photocopy of our marriage certificate (it didn't actually ASK for one, I was trying to cover everything), we NOW had to prove that we were married when our son was born.

I expressed incredulity at that, because if I was a single parent applying for my son's UK passport (he's a dual citizen), they wouldn't have needed to see anything. Iain shrugged and said that was the procedure.

So we had to overnight Iain 1) our original marriage license, 2) my original divorce paperwork from my first marriage, plus we had to fill out and sign two forms (which are nowhere on the website, as far as I can tell): 3) a Marriage Declaration Form (where we both had to swear that we were married when our son was born), and 4) a separate Mother's Declaration Form (where I had to swear that I was either married or not married, as appropriate).

The (hopefully) good news is that Iain promised us it would take no longer than 2 days to process once he got the documents, and that we'd have everything back in a week. So YAY!

I'll let you know whether it does or does not happen.

pbx Jul 27th 2011 5:39 pm

PASSPORT SERVICE Disgusting
I live in Canada and have applied for a UK passport.
Why does it take so long? Sent applications on April 6 2011 have
called the British Commission in Toronto, Ontario Canada NO HELP WHAT
SO EVER!!!!
Are you growing the trees for the paper? To make passports.
I am not going on holiday. I need a passport for identification to get
my Driver’s Licence.
The Ontario Government has changed the type of identification
documents needed to get a Driver’s Licence.
I need this to get back and forth to work
The web site states 4 week processing time I have been waiting 16 weeks now.
You have taken my money and I have not received any response from the
passport service.
:thumbdown:

elizabeth_action Jul 28th 2011 12:05 am

If I submitted two of my kids' passport applications in the same envelope to Washington DC, will the renewed passports be returned in the same package or sent out separately?

debby66 Jul 28th 2011 12:32 am

you will get them back together.
i did the same and got them back in same envelope.
:D

eanne06 Jul 28th 2011 1:12 am

So today I finally got the documents that were incomplete. I sent them off to DC they should be there tomorrow. When they called me and told me about the documents they needed they said that once they received them I should have my passport within a week. We'll see what happens.So, my timeline:

June 2: Application arrived in DC
July 10: CC charged
July 15: Call from passport office saying they needed a dissolution of marriage certificate from my mother, or the state, for my my mother's previous marriage. They also said that my father's birth certificate was incorrect and they need another copy. Ordered both of these items on July 15.
July 26: Received both of these documents.
July 27: Mailed documents.

$50 and 5 calls to careline.
Will let you know when I have it in my sweaty little hands!

Those of you that argued the charged on your cc for careline, what exactly did you say to get them to take it off?

FredCDobbs Jul 28th 2011 1:52 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9523492)
Those of you that argued the charged on your cc for careline, what exactly did you say to get them to take it off?

I told my credit card company (Chase), on their online "dispute charge" form, that:

(1.) The "service" provided by Careline was lousy, in that they gave me information that turned out to be incorrect and they later corrected, and promised return calls that never came (and I gave specifics); and

(2.) Regardless of (1) above, it was a travesty -- in fact, a total piss-take -- for any service provider (let alone H.M. Government) to sell a commodity (let alone a vital commodity like a passport) to customers, take the customers' money, fail to provide the item as promised, and then actually require said customers to pay again simply for the privilege of asking what was going on and why passports that were supposed to have taken six weeks to arrive still hadn't arrived afer three months.

Within ten days I received an e-mail message from Chase that the charges had been "permanently reversed." And they were.

elizabeth_action Jul 28th 2011 2:46 am

Thanks Debby66, some peace of mind.

We submitted our apps X 2 endish May. On the website it stated 'allow 4 weeks for processing'. By last week (@ 8 weeks) no passports. I called the UK who emailed Washington. The UK told me Washington processed payment June 30th and that I would have to wait another 10 weeks from that date. That would have taken us 5 weeks past our departure date!

I was told not to follow up my inquiry for 3 working days. Tues I called again and was told we had a UPS tracking number. In 24 hrs the passports got from DC to Calgary, which is quite impressive. By contrast, the package which arrived in Calgary this morning 7.15am, has not moved one inch in 12 hours.

UPS Calgary tell me it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow sometime. This pushes our departure date ahead by a day. It's a good thing it's a road trip and not a flight.

I do believe however that they are doing their level best to process apps as fast as possible. They have to deal with thousands of Brits who have decided later rather than sooner that they need a new passport for their summer vacation trips which has put the kibosh on it for everyone! Hey ho.

debby66 Jul 28th 2011 2:57 am

we waited 8 weeks so i cant really complain,but i did pester careline a bit.we are also going on a roadtrip,and we were panicking.
But i do believe that they are moving so much quicker now,but if they had posted the correct info on their website months ago when all this started,it wouldnt have resulted in an influx of renewals..lol.
our passports were still being processed last tues,but they were in winnipeg by last thurs and delivered friday,so kudoos to washington for pulling their finger out.
they will be on your doorstep tomorrow,then you can relax.:thumbsup:
Have a great holiday,we are driving to vegas again from manitoba and looking forward to 2 weeks of relaxation.:cool::cool:

penguinbar Jul 28th 2011 3:33 am

I think that anyone who paid for calls to Careline should definately dispute the charges. I know I would if I had ever gotten though to them.

elizabeth_action Jul 28th 2011 5:28 am

Originally Posted by debby66 (Post 9523630)
we waited 8 weeks so i cant really complain,but i did pester careline a bit.we are also going on a roadtrip,and we were panicking.
But i do believe that they are moving so much quicker now,but if they had posted the correct info on their website months ago when all this started,it wouldnt have resulted in an influx of renewals..lol.
our passports were still being processed last tues,but they were in winnipeg by last thurs and delivered friday,so kudoos to washington for pulling their finger out.
they will be on your doorstep tomorrow,then you can relax.:thumbsup:
Have a great holiday,we are driving to vegas again from manitoba and looking forward to 2 weeks of relaxation.:cool::cool:

We're off to see friends in Reno. Have a safe and fun ride. : )

sueffun Jul 28th 2011 12:03 pm

Well well, guess what, after my call to careline and being told that the passport for my Mum had been sent last week, I phoned Fedex and they had no trace of the passport at all. They spent the whole of yesterday trying to find out what had happened to it and eventually were told that it wasn't at the high commission in Pretoria.

After searching at the HIgh commission it was eventually found in the collections draw. It is now being sent to Fedex who will get it to me by tomorrow.

If I hadn't followed this up the passport would have been stuck in the draw indefinately, what an appalling service and its only thanks to Fedex that it was found.

Jengreg Jul 28th 2011 5:04 pm

I just got my renewed passport today. Mine was out of date and needed a name change too.
Passport and documents sent May 21st - signed for in DC May 24th
CC charged June 9th
Passport arrived July 28th

No calls to Careline.

Just very glad to get it.

Neidpath Jul 29th 2011 3:56 am

Sent mine off early June ( just as Canada Post decided to strike......) Arrived June 30th and credit card charged on 23rd July. I assume in 10 weeks time I might get my passport! Had planned a trip to Bermuda ( but not bought tickets thankfully) end of August but I suspect that will not be happening.

robbytnyc Jul 29th 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by robbytnyc (Post 9517562)
Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.

I'm surprised to say I got my passport today! This was a new passport application and took only 1 month from start to finish.

Below is my timeline:
- Called Careline on 7/26 on told them I had a pending job offer in the UK and needed my passport before I could accept the position
- 7/29 Received passport

I guess it was the pending job offer that sped up the process. UK here we come! I wish the very best to everyone else waiting on their passports.

Thanks for all the info and feedback on this site. It's been very helpful.
- Rob

sueffun Jul 29th 2011 3:08 pm

My Mums passport arrived this morning just one week short of 5 months from sending it.
Good luck to everyone else waiting

Shazban Jul 29th 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by sueffun (Post 9526502)
My Mums passport arrived this morning just one week short of 5 months from sending it.
Good luck to everyone else waiting

FINALLY!!! So very happy for you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sueffun Jul 29th 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks you. Fancy them sticking it in a drawer, but to be fair that was in South Africa !!!:)

sachminu Jul 30th 2011 1:21 am

I got my passport today!!!!
It was a great surprise...I wasn't expecting it for another 4-6 weeks. I guess I was just lucky...as I didn't even have to call careline or contact anyone. Anyway here is my timeline below and it was just a normal renewal.

Application sent via USPS: June 6th
Application received by DC: June 7th
Credit card charged: July 1st
Passport received via UPS: July 28th

eanne06 Jul 30th 2011 1:26 am

Did you get an email with a tracking number? Did you know it was coming or did it just show up?