British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

NickW May 26th 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Passport Delays

I've just done a lot of googling and cannot find even one mention of any embassy ever destroying documents. I just have to laugh at this point... anyone have an idea how this could have happened?

Originally Posted by NickW (Post 8591359)
Only problem is my parents' marriage certificate came back damaged, somehow. It's a certified copy from the city clerk in NYC (where they were married), glossy on one side and it came back all blackened... unreadable. I guess this must have happened when they scanned it in (?)... I have no idea. Either way, my father is not going to be very happy when he returns home from holiday... hopefully it's not too hard a document to replace.

ian-mstm May 27th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by rfoy88 (Post 8591718)
I was born in England but moved to Canada with my parents in 1967 as a child on their passport.

I was born in Scotland and moved to Canada with my parents in 1959 as a child on my mom's passport.

I have applied for a British passport but wonder if anyone knows how long the delays are for first time adult applicants. I sent my application March 24, the payment was taken from my credit card on April 14.
While the UK Embassy in DC quotes 4 weeks from the day payment is taken, first time passports usually take about 10 weeks... that's how long mine took when I did the same as you're now doing.

Ian

rfoy88 May 27th 2010 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8592455)
I was born in Scotland and moved to Canada with my parents in 1959 as a child on my mom's passport.

While the UK Embassy in DC quotes 4 weeks from the day payment is taken, first time passports usually take about 10 weeks... that's how long mine took when I did the same as you're now doing.

Ian

Thank you that's good to know. It's been six weeks since the payment was taken, so maybe another four weeks!

mandpete Jun 11th 2010 2:10 pm

Renewal of 4 passports. Travel date 7th July 2010.

4th May 2010 - Applications received at Embassy
26th May 2010 - Payment taken
11th June 2010 - New passports delivered 9.00am.

celticgrid Jun 11th 2010 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete (Post 8626555)
Renewal of 4 passports. Travel date 7th July 2010.

4th May 2010 - Applications received at Embassy
26th May 2010 - Payment taken
11th June 2010 - New passports delivered 9.00am.

I shall have to start looking out for the postie.

Application received at Embassy 6th May
Payment taken 25th May
New passports....imminent? :fingerscrossed:

JainaProudmoore Jun 15th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 8626872)
I shall have to start looking out for the postie.

Application received at Embassy 6th May
Payment taken 25th May
New passports....imminent? :fingerscrossed:

Application arrived at Embassy 27th May (sent with a cover letter asking for possible expedite on renewal of passport due to family emergency)

Payment taken 4th June.

Phonecall from Embassy 14th June notifying passport delivery for 15th!

So relieved to get back to England a few days before my father undergoes surgery!

British Consul Jun 15th 2010 1:01 am

Originally Posted by rfoy88 (Post 8591718)
I was born in England but moved to Canada with my parents in 1967 as a child on their passport. I have applied for a British passport but wonder if anyone knows how long the delays are for first time adult applicants. I sent my application March 24, the payment was taken from my credit card on April 14.
Thanks for any replies.

No delays. It takes between 4 - 10 weeks for a first time application.

Dean

JayBowyer Jun 15th 2010 1:13 am

I sent my application for my baby girl, Isobella, in on the 13th of May... That's about how far my story goes so far...haha! No credit card payment taken, no word...nothing. Thank goodness she's already got her American passport. Still we're planning to be out of the country from the end of July through the end of September, so it'd be nice if the English one came before then, instead of having it languish in America while we're gone... I'd rather like SOME kind of knowledge as to where the application is, really... Ah well... *sigh*

I've messaged Dean - I hope he can help me. He's so kind, and was absolutely brilliant last year when I applied for my own renewal and was practically driven to tears by the "helpline" giving me no help at all... I think that help line is run by Captain Obvious. :D

So here I sit. That's our timeline...and the wait continues...

Nick P Jun 16th 2010 10:09 pm

Just received my new passport. Timeline:

13.05.10 Sent from Mexico City by UPS
17.05.10 Arrives at The British Embassy, Washington DC
28.05.10 Payment taken from credit card
04.06.10 New Passport sent out via UPS
16.06.10 Arrives at my office in Mexico City.

Impressive. 1 week turnaround from date of taking payment.
Less impressive: 2 weeks delivery delay courtesy of UPS?!
Please note this was a straight forward adult passport renewal, which is admittedly much more straight forward than first time / blue books / kids etc.
Good luck everyone, Saludos from Mexico.

rfoy88 Jun 22nd 2010 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by rfoy88 (Post 8592747)
Thank you that's good to know. It's been six weeks since the payment was taken, so maybe another four weeks!

First time adult application - received in DC March 25, 2010; payment taken April 14, 2010, passport received June 22, 2010. Ten weeks!

hedleycat Jun 22nd 2010 7:05 pm

Help!!! Am close to tears here....

I'm British living in Canada. Both children born here so decided to apply for UK passports for them. Sent application to Washington in January, received it back at end of April as I'd sent short-form birth certs. Sent off correct certs beginning of May, payment for UPS taken by end of May.

Since all then we've booked flights to UK as in laws are ill, we travel July 3rd and having spent a small fortune on Careline I have been told processing began June 17th and will take 3-4 weeks!
Apparently I can call back 5 days before travel and they will email the embassy and I should receive them 3-4 days later....what if I don't???!!!!! They have my girls' Canadian passports, birth certs so have no way of travel and cannot afford to rebook.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will the embassy get them there on time or what emergency tavel documents can I apply for?

ian-mstm Jun 22nd 2010 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by hedleycat (Post 8649558)
Apparently I can call back 5 days before travel and they will email the embassy and I should receive them 3-4 days later....what if I don't???!

Send a message to member "British Consul". He really is the British Consul - he'll probably have a suggestion as to how to proceed. Good luck.

Ian

hedleycat Jun 22nd 2010 11:16 pm

Have just done that so fingers crossed!

JAJ Jun 23rd 2010 4:25 am

Originally Posted by hedleycat (Post 8649558)
Help!!! Am close to tears here....

I'm British living in Canada. Both children born here so decided to apply for UK passports for them. Sent application to Washington in January, received it back at end of April as I'd sent short-form birth certs. Sent off correct certs beginning of May, payment for UPS taken by end of May.

Since all then we've booked flights to UK as in laws are ill, we travel July 3rd and having spent a small fortune on Careline I have been told processing began June 17th and will take 3-4 weeks!
Apparently I can call back 5 days before travel and they will email the embassy and I should receive them 3-4 days later....what if I don't???!!!!! They have my girls' Canadian passports, birth certs so have no way of travel and cannot afford to rebook.

Why on earth did you send the original Canadian passports? They only need a copy ...

One option is to go to the Canadian passport office and ask for emergency replacements. Problem then is that if the originals come back to you, you may not be able to use them.

hedleycat Jun 23rd 2010 1:23 pm

Didn't realise they didn't need copies until reading on here!