British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

edwardyuen Jul 18th 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by sselbie (Post 9502841)
No That was 9 weeks total

And you mentioned that you have contacted your MP, may I know which country are you in now?

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 4:54 pm

I live in the US but was told on this forum I could still contact the MP from where I last lived in the UK.

Shazban Jul 18th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sselbie (Post 9502728)
Well, After 9 weeks today I finally got my passport!

That was 3 Careline calls,
2 letters to the Embassy,
3 e-mails to the Consulate,
but eventually it was my local MP that did the deed!...One contact to them and the next day they were on it and my Passport was being sent by UPS!

Of course who is going to cover the 9 weeks in loss of wage and interest on bills I couldn't cover!....

It'll take me another few months to catch up but I am glad that I am back in control of my life!

Very happy that you got it finally!!

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks soooo much Shazban....I can tell you my stress has really slowed down today!...now just hoping my work can get me up and running again soon!
Thanks again!

GBGIRAFFE Jul 18th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9487061)
Not to hold your hand....but you found this thread presumably by googling it. Go up one, to the root of this forum. You'll see 4 threads with, in bright red that say "Read Me"...read them.

The info you want is in two of them.

Also in this thread hundreds of times, if you search it.

You'll quickly find "emergency" is what you think a emergency is, so yes, you can apply for ETD for a holiday.

Bob, Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. You have no idea how reassuring it is to read your reply. This is an awesome site.

Zinfan Jul 19th 2011 11:43 am

I called the careline today for the first time. Guy was sincerely helpful. My fee was processed on June 22nd. Passport is ready and I should have it in five days. I know one shouldn't count ones chickens unto they are hatched, but this is one serious relief. I will post when I have it in my hands.
Cheers
Alan

Shazban Jul 19th 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zinfan (Post 9504489)
I called the careline today for the first time. Guy was sincerely helpful. My fee was processed on June 22nd. Passport is ready and I should have it in five days. I know one shouldn't count ones chickens unto they are hatched, but this is one serious relief. I will post when I have it in my hands.
Cheers
Alan

YAY!! I reckon it's safe to celebrate :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ykidc Jul 19th 2011 4:11 pm

Flying on the 21st, spoke to the care line yesterday to find that my application was still being examined. Booked an appointment for and ETD for 9am this morning. Just got back from the British Consultate to pick up my ETD... Only to find my replacement passport waiting for me!

Time Line
- Posted June 13th
- Arrived June 14th
- Payment Taken July 8th
- Passport arrived July 19th

Having a slight moment of hysteria!

midmod Jul 19th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zinfan (Post 9504489)
Cheers
Alan

Wow, good for you. I've called careline twice, my call-back date changes. PP received in DC 16 MAY, cc debited 20 JUNE. Pretty random stuff huh?

Spasticrhino Jul 19th 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah I called Careline again lastnight... I must be close. My flight is July 29th to IReland, onto England. Made it so that if I need to get an ETD will be flying from KS to Chicago early in the morning so can get it before my departure. My credit card was charged June 15th so I'm thinking it must be anyday now but who knows.. Its seems like there's no ryhme or reason, its just who complained the most and/or got lucky...

midmod Jul 19th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Spasticrhino (Post 9505228)
Yeah I called Careline again lastnight... I must be close. My flight is July 29th to IReland, onto England. Made it so that if I need to get an ETD will be flying from KS to Chicago early in the morning so can get it before my departure. My credit card was charged June 15th so I'm thinking it must be anyday now but who knows.. Its seems like there's no ryhme or reason, its just who complained the most and/or got lucky...

So I went out to pick up my mail and, on my doormat lies my passport! (the UPS guy didn't ring the doorbell!) Thank you Green Team! Careline told me that DC would contact me within 3 or 4 days. Instead of calling, they went ahead and sent my passport...Phew! I hope everyone else with a similar timeline doesn't have to wait much longer.

lyonsden1193 Jul 19th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9505257)
So I went out to pick up my mail and, on my doormat lies my passport! (the UPS guy didn't ring the doorbell!) Thank you Green Team! Careline told me that DC would contact me within 3 or 4 days. Instead of calling, they went ahead and sent my passport...Phew! I hope everyone else with a similar timeline doesn't have to wait much longer.

I'm real curious about UPS. When I got mine it required adult signature because it was sensitive document. Who signed for yours??

Jerseygirl Jul 19th 2011 7:38 pm

Excellent...good for you and everyone else who have received their PPs. :thumbsup:

I hope this means the FCO are getting their arses in gear and sorting this mess out...rather than prioritizing those that phone and complain...thus pushing the rest further and further down the queue.

Shazban Jul 19th 2011 8:09 pm

FANTASTIC!!!!! so very happy for you. Now you get to go see that special scottish fellow who's been ever so patiently waiting :thumbsup:

midmod Jul 19th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9505367)
FANTASTIC!!!!! so very happy for you. Now you get to go see that special scottish fellow who's been ever so patiently waiting :thumbsup:

Thank you Shaz, Dad,here I come!

midmod Jul 19th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9505272)
I'm real curious about UPS. When I got mine it required adult signature because it was sensitive document. Who signed for yours??

Like so many others, I just found the UPS envelope sitting on the doormat. Why some have to sign and others don't is puzzling to me. Our UPS guy usually rings the doorbell for the most trivial items.

BellaE Jul 19th 2011 9:16 pm

:):D:lol:How wonderful! Are you going to leave the support group or hang around to encourage others?::thumbsup::thumbsup:

boulty Jul 19th 2011 9:44 pm

I have been travelling in South America for a while and all my pages got filled with stamps so I needed a passport renewal. British Embassy in Buenos Aires advised me to send existing passport to Washington. Tourist visa lasts 90 days in Argentina so I hope it arrives soon! Visa up on 6 AUG (but not a huge problem as can pay small fine to stay longer). Already cancelled four pre-arranged trips. Locked into Colombia trip in late August. May end up having to get ETD and additional visas. Is there anybody applying with any luck from South America?

09 May: Sent passport to DC from Buenos Aires by DHL
12 May: Passport received at Consular Service Washington
14 June: Passport application processed
16 June: CC Payment processed
19 July: Called Careline, spoke to Scottish Jane, 6 digit ref number (with no 'R'?) ..... told it could be another 10 weeks! Totally unacceptable.

Thinking about contacting local MP in UK to speed up the process.
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Boulty

FredCDobbs Jul 19th 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9505298)
Excellent...good for you and everyone else who have received their PPs. :thumbsup:

I hope this means the FCO are getting their arses in gear and sorting this mess out...rather than prioritizing those that phone and complain...thus pushing the rest further and further down the queue.

Surely you're not suggesting that people aren't fully justified in phoning to complain about the disgraceful way they've been treated and this whole appalling fiasco?

Jerseygirl Jul 19th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by FredCDobbs (Post 9505613)
Surely you're not suggesting that people aren't fully justified in phoning to complain about the disgraceful way they've been treated and this whole appalling fiasco?

No of course not and I agree it is an appalling fiasco. Just hoping that the good news we are hearing is because FCO is sorting themselves out...not just shuffling the applications around. :fingerscrossed:

midmod Jul 19th 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9505530)
:):D:lol:How wonderful! Are you going to leave the support group or hang around to encourage others?::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll stick around. I'm also taking time to look around the lighter, trivial threads now that the huge weight has been lifted.

Saro Jul 19th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by boulty (Post 9505607)

19 July: Called Careline, spoke to Scottish Jane, 6 digit ref number (with no 'R'?) ..... told it could be another 10 weeks! Totally unacceptable.

I wonder about that R. I was given a number with an R without giving a travel date - all I asked Careline for was a status. On the other hand, mine should have arrived my now, even by their current, completely ridiculous, estimates. Does it just depend on who you get on the phone? Does it even mean anything?

midmod Jul 19th 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by boulty (Post 9505607)
I have been travelling in South America for a while and all my pages got filled with stamps so I needed a passport renewal. British Embassy in Buenos Aires advised me to send existing passport to Washington. Tourist visa lasts 90 days in Argentina so I hope it arrives soon! Visa up on 6 AUG (but not a huge problem as can pay small fine to stay longer). Already cancelled four pre-arranged trips. Locked into Colombia trip in late August. May end up having to get ETD and additional visas. Is there anybody applying with any luck from South America?

Thinking about contacting local MP in UK to speed up the process.
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Boulty

Your time-line is very close to mine. I was told last week that it COULD take 10 weeks after payment. There was no record of me in the computer. I was told the ref# is just something to help them pull your file up every time you call. An expired visa sure sounds like an emergency and inconvenience in my book! Call them tomorrow.

boulty Jul 20th 2011 12:15 am

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9505702)
Your time-line is very close to mine. I was told last week that it COULD take 10 weeks after payment. There was no record of me in the computer. I was told the ref# is just something to help them pull your file up every time you call. An expired visa sure sounds like an emergency and inconvenience in my book! Call them tomorrow.

As Careline is 24hr and free these days, I called them back straight away.... hoping not to get the unhelpful Jane. The friendly Scott (the Scot) answered, he gave me a different reference number for the call, 1584**, just 63 digits different from my last reference number (which makes me think it is just the number of calls logged) and looked my case file up on a tracking system. He said my passport would be another 3-5 weeks maximum before it got here. My tourist visa might expire but at least this gives me a bit of hope!

Cheers

Boulty

Saro Jul 20th 2011 12:19 am

It looks like they tried to deliver my passport! I missed the UPS van by minutes. I'm going to try and pick it up from them now!

The guy who countersigned for me keeps asking me whether I've received it yet and I keep having to tell him no. In fact, I told him the delay is clearly his fault, and he must be on a terrorist watch list somewhere.

debby66 Jul 20th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9505845)
It looks like they tried to deliver my passport! I missed the UPS van by minutes. I'm going to try and pick it up from them now!

The guy who countersigned for me keeps asking me whether I've received it yet and I keep having to tell him no. In fact, I told him the delay is clearly his fault, and he must be on a terrorist watch list somewhere.

lucky you..i called careline last night and they said,my passports are going into printing in a day or 2,then have to be quality checked,then dispatched,so he said expect it within 7 days.
im getting nearer to my holiday but its looking good.

Saro Jul 20th 2011 1:08 am

So I was able to pick up my passport, but I found out why Careline couldn't find me in their system. They misspelled my name!! I suppose they will take another 4 months to fix it. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Jerseygirl Jul 20th 2011 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9505910)
So I was able to pick up my passport, but I found out why Careline couldn't find me in their system. They misspelled my name!! I suppose they will take another 4 months to fix it. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Oh no!! :mad:

Shazban Jul 20th 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9505910)

O.M.G!!!!!

vanfan1 Jul 20th 2011 2:32 am

Looks like I may be getting my passport tomorrow, was sent a UPS tracking number today by the embassy. Was supposed to be delivered today but the address was wrong so they're sending it Wed. So excited!, last Thurs night when I called they hadn't even started processing. was apprently printed and ready to go Friday!

Saro, sorry to hear they spelled your name wrong, hopefullly they'll fix it quick for you. :fingerscrossed: They can move quickly if they have too

Saro Jul 20th 2011 3:10 am

Originally Posted by vanfan1 (Post 9506008)
Saro, sorry to hear they spelled your name wrong, hopefullly they'll fix it quick for you. :fingerscrossed: They can move quickly if they have too

Thanks! I'll call Careline tomorrow and see what they can tell me about correcting it. The "My new passport has arrived and there is a problem" link on ukinusa.fco.gov.uk is dead - of course! I'll let you guys know what they tell me, in case they can't spell your names either.

OIG Jul 20th 2011 9:26 am

Originally Posted by vanfan1 (Post 9506008)
Looks like I may be getting my passport tomorrow, was sent a UPS tracking number today by the embassy. Was supposed to be delivered today but the address was wrong so they're sending it Wed. So excited!, last Thurs night when I called they hadn't even started processing. was apprently printed and ready to go Friday!

Did they send the UPS tracking number by e-mail? Something else to look out for....

OIG Jul 20th 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9505698)
I wonder about that R. I was given a number with an R without giving a travel date - all I asked Careline for was a status. On the other hand, mine should have arrived my now, even by their current, completely ridiculous, estimates. Does it just depend on who you get on the phone? Does it even mean anything?

I'm starting to think that it doesn't mean anything, some people get theirs straight away after calling. I said to my wife that I think that they have a button next to the computer that is not connected to anything with "expedite" written on it, or it could be that this whole situation is annoying the whatsit out of me...

Saro Jul 20th 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9506040)
Thanks! I'll call Careline tomorrow and see what they can tell me about correcting it. The "My new passport has arrived and there is a problem" link on ukinusa.fco.gov.uk is dead - of course! I'll let you guys know what they tell me, in case they can't spell your names either.

I called this morning and was told to send proof of the real spelling of my name (birth certificate, old passport, etc.), along with a cover letter explaining the mistake, and that I could request a refund for the extra postage. I forgot to ask how long it would take to get it back, though. And this time I can't stalk my credit card online to figure out when they've started processing it.

vanfan1 Jul 20th 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by OIG (Post 9506554)
Did they send the UPS tracking number by e-mail? Something else to look out for....

I sent a complaint to the embassy a few weeks ago, they didn't reply until they sent my tracking number (was very snarky too)

I'm pretty sure that my passport was escalated through Careline. It really depends on who you talk to. It took 5 phone calls till I got Becky who helped (passport was printed and processed 1 day later so it must have been). My only advice to those still waiting is to keep on calling Careline,

lizr Jul 20th 2011 7:14 pm

Anybody successfully get a hold of the Washington Consulate to get an appointment for Emergency Travel Documents? I left a message Monday and have not heard back. Left another message today.

Any help would be appreciated.

just_jenn Jul 20th 2011 7:20 pm

Just popping in to see how things were working out for folks. Glad to see you got your passports, Shazban! Did yours arrive yet, aml?

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

nursefoxfire Jul 20th 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by lizr (Post 9507640)
Anybody successfully get a hold of the Washington Consulate to get an appointment for Emergency Travel Documents? I left a message Monday and have not heard back. Left another message today.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wouldn't you go to your local Embassy for that? For example, here in the Dallas area, I'd have to go to the UK Embassy in Houston for Emergency Travel documents (and we'd all have to apply in person).

lizr Jul 20th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by nursefoxfire (Post 9507653)
Wouldn't you go to your local Embassy for that? For example, here in the Dallas area, I'd have to go to the UK Embassy in Houston for Emergency Travel documents (and we'd all have to apply in person).

The Washington Consulate is my local Embassy. I live in Maryland.

Zinfan Jul 20th 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9504990)
Wow, good for you. I've called careline twice, my call-back date changes. PP received in DC 16 MAY, cc debited 20 JUNE. Pretty random stuff huh?

My passport actually showed up with UPS this afternoon! What a relief.