British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Jesse923 Mar 31st 2010 2:25 am

Re: Passport Delays

Still no passport today...

sampson600 Mar 31st 2010 7:19 pm

Having some trouble with my own passport application (surprise, surprise). While my application was clearly processed a good while ago, about 3 weeks after I sent it, it has been six weeks since the processing of my application, and there is still no sign of the passport. The application was mailed out Jan 26, credit card was hit Feb 16, but I have still received no passport, or feedback re: problems with my application. I am a Canadian, and this is my first time applying for British passport, applied for through my British parents. Seems like too long since the processing for it not to have showed up. Help, maybe?

ian-mstm Mar 31st 2010 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by sampson600 (Post 8463495)
... this is my first time applying for British passport...

This is the important fact in what you've written. All first time passport applications take longer than "average" since all the information you supplied must be verified. I'd give it 8-10 weeks after having the check cashed.

Ian

lisa67 Mar 31st 2010 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by sampson600 (Post 8463495)
Having some trouble with my own passport application (surprise, surprise). While my application was clearly processed a good while ago, about 3 weeks after I sent it, it has been six weeks since the processing of my application, and there is still no sign of the passport. The application was mailed out Jan 26, credit card was hit Feb 16, but I have still received no passport, or feedback re: problems with my application. I am a Canadian, and this is my first time applying for British passport, applied for through my British parents. Seems like too long since the processing for it not to have showed up. Help, maybe?

Just because they've charged your credit card it doesn't necessarily mean they've processed your application. It also takes a while to go from "processed" to printing :(

NickW Apr 1st 2010 9:37 am

After doing some reading, I'm getting rather worried as I believe I screwed up the counter signature part of my application! :-( I applied for a citizenship by descent (British-born father) passport (first time application), as I was born in the U.S. When I read the instructions supplied with the C2 form, the way it was phrased, it sounded to me like the counter signatory for the photos could be any British citizen (including my father) OR a U.S. citizen who is not a relative (my father also took a look and agreed with this interpretation, not that that makes me feel any better at the moment!) Looking in various places where the requirements are phrased differently, it seems I definitely should NOT have had my British father countersign my application.

However, the embassy charged my credit card on February 4th and I have not heard anything from them. Would they have contacted me, rejected and returned my application by now if they had a problem with it? Or, should I expect to receive the rejection at some point in the future? Since so much time has elapsed, does anyone think there is any chance they accepted my application as-is? Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

BTW, I apologize in advance if anyone feels I don't belong here... however my father is a genuine British expat who really wants his original documents back, so you could say I'm posting this on his behalf. I'm here because after an extensive search, this seems by far the most helpful place on this matter (and you all seem quite a friendly bunch, I might add)! I just want this process over with as my immediate plans are to reside in the EU and I'd really like to start checking off some of the items on a very lengthy to-do list (none of which I can start without my EU passport!)

Thank you much for any advice you may have.

Nick

NickW Apr 1st 2010 4:52 pm

UPDATE: I called Careline this morning and was told my application is "in the system," that there are no negative notes in the file, and that in the phone rep's opinion, they would have sent it back by now if anything was unacceptable. Still a bit doubtful that I'd have scraped by while still screwing up this most basic requirement, but I'll certainly take it if that's the case. Of course, he didn't know why the passport hadn't been produced yet and couldn't really give me an estimate... I asked him, "if you had to guess..." and he said 10 days - 2 weeks. So we'll see...

markaspden Apr 1st 2010 9:05 pm

Hi i would just like to update people on my passport
My pasport was mailed off on feb 12th and then the long wait, then on march 23rd which was last wednesday my credit card was charged and i thought well i will have to wait another 4 weeks. I could not believe it when my passport showed up this morning only 1 week after my credit card was charged. The passport arrived via fed ex and it was delivered to my work. So after a long wait i was very impressed how fast it was after my credit card was charged.

GreyDawg Apr 1st 2010 10:10 pm

Sounds like the time elapsed between receipt of application in DC and card-charging is running about three-four weeks. Renewals seem to be popping out a couple of weeks later, but first time applications are, as expected, taking significantly longer.

Timelines recently reported here:
• NickW: received in DC Jan 25, card charged Feb 4 [first-time-by-descent application]
• sampson600: “mailed” Jan 26, card charged Feb 16 [first-time-by-descent application]
• markaspden: “mailed” Feb 12, card charged Mar 23, passport received Apr 1:thumbup:
• 1apreferably: received in DC Feb 12, card charged Mar 10 [first-time-by-descent application]
• Burn911: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 8
• KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10
• Shauny2k5: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 9
• Jesse923: received in DC Feb 18, card charged Mar 16
• GreyDawg: received in DC Feb 19, card charged Mar 19 [first-time-by-descent application]
• DottyPotty: "mailed" Feb 25, card charged Mar 11
• md95065: received in DC Feb 25, card charged Mar 18, [renewal] passport received Mar 25 :thumbup:
• Lara45: received in DC Feb 26, [renewal] passport received Mar 29:thumbup:

Note, of course, that some of these people may have received their passports and not mentioned it on this thread.

Jesse923 Apr 1st 2010 11:45 pm

Add to that list that mine is a first time by descent application also. Haven't heard anything... the only snafu I can think of is that I submitted a certified original birth certificate that was acquired in 2006 (25 years after my birth) - although the birth was registered 9 days after I was born!

As has been mentioned on many other threads many states including mine (MA) don't even issue original birth certificates but rather keep the originals in the hall of records and give a certified copy by mail later... my parents finally got theirs in 1983 (two years after I was born!)

I have heard conflicting things on this website about whether my application will be returned, some say they will ask for more docs and others say they should accept due to registration within 3 months... I guess I will have to wait and see. If they don't accept birth certificate then I have baptisimal record when I was one month old (although no hospital records - hospital no longer exists and my parents never received)

Wonder if not hearing anything for two weeks after credit card charge means that they won't return it for more documents...?

kinghuang Apr 5th 2010 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by GreyDawg (Post 8466660)
KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10

Note, of course, that some of these people may have received their passports and not mentioned it on this thread.

I posted a few weeks ago with my complete timeline. Here's an updated summary.
KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10, [renewal] passport received Mar 15 :thumbup:

GreyDawg Apr 5th 2010 9:28 pm

Updated timelines recently reported here:

• NickW: received in DC Jan 25, card charged Feb 4 [first-time-by-descent application]
• sampson600: “mailed” Jan 26, card charged Feb 16 [first-time-by-descent application]
• markaspden: “mailed” Feb 12, card charged Mar 23, passport received Apr 1:thumbup:
• 1apreferably: received in DC Feb 12, card charged Mar 10 [first-time-by-descent application]
• Burn911: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 8
• KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10 [renewal] passport received Mar 15 :thumbup:
• Shauny2k5: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 9
• Jesse923: received in DC Feb 18, card charged Mar 16 [first-time-by-descent application]
• GreyDawg: received in DC Feb 19, card charged Mar 19 [first-time-by-descent application]
• DottyPotty: "mailed" Feb 25, card charged Mar 11
• md95065: received in DC Feb 25, card charged Mar 18, [renewal] passport received Mar 25 :thumbup:
• Lara45: received in DC Feb 26, [renewal] passport received Mar 29:thumbup:

So with a small sample of renewals, it looks like they're back to about 1 week from card charge to passport receipt, but about 3-4 weeks lag prior to charging the card, for an overall time of about 4-5 weeks.

First time applications are, of course, another story...

dottypotty Apr 6th 2010 12:10 pm

Just to update you all, I sent off 3 renewals on Feb 25, CC charged Mar 11, passports received Mar 17. Less than 4 weeks in total, a record so far!!!!

Jesse923 Apr 14th 2010 2:33 am

Finally received my passport on April 12th, hooray!

GreyDawg Apr 14th 2010 8:42 pm

Congratulations, Jesse923!

I am on a business trip. My apartment management office just emailed to say I've had a UPS package from:

Green Team
UK Passport Office
10 Observatory Circle Drive
Washington DC 20008

I won't be home for 10 more days, so I'll have to wait to see what's in it -- a rejected application, an application "returned pending more data" , or a passport!

Td0t Apr 14th 2010 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by NickW (Post 8465957)
UPDATE: I called Careline this morning and was told my application is "in the system," that there are no negative notes in the file, and that in the phone rep's opinion, they would have sent it back by now if anything was unacceptable. Still a bit doubtful that I'd have scraped by while still screwing up this most basic requirement, but I'll certainly take it if that's the case. Of course, he didn't know why the passport hadn't been produced yet and couldn't really give me an estimate... I asked him, "if you had to guess..." and he said 10 days - 2 weeks. So we'll see...

Nick,

I was in a similar situation last year. My application took about 6 weeks from the date of receipt in Washington to the day they sent my entire package back pending further documentation. I sent the wrong marriage certificate as it didn't indicate my parents' marital status prior to signing. They only charged my credit card for the UPS return fee.

I obtained the correct document from the provincial registrar and resubmitted the application. After 5 weeks, they charged my credit card for the full amount and I received my passport 2 weeks after that.

If they reject your application like they did mine, be prepared to wait an additional 6 weeks after you resubmit. It takes forever, but once you see the golden glimmer of European Union, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Passport, it'll all be worth it.

Hope that helps.