British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

taradem Jun 12th 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Oh and could you pass on Gerrys number? It sounds like if I speak to him I won't care about the passports!



Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7658789)
Ok my timeline......
Jan 09 - Knew the kids passports were running out put on my things to do list. They have german ones too so what weigh up the prices and the inconvenience - German u have to go to washington and get fingerprints done, the british ones just fillout and send it...
Feb 09 - Put the paperwork in for my green card extension - the pound is up and down, the prices keep changing..kids passports put on the things to do list.
Mar 09 - Looked at a this site for "how to apply" for the passports. Kids telling me they are under no circumstances having their fotos done without the hair being done first. Hair gets done. No money for passports, Kids passports on the things to do list.
April 09 - kaskas birthday, money money money. What we doing for the summer break.Kaska wants to go to europe for the summer, kelly wants to go for two weeks... crap.. passports... Wasnt their a passport fee change? AHA pays to wait I am going to get them cheaper - kids passports on the things to do list.
May 09 - Oh crap - The things to do list still has the passport on it. Bugger British Expats are up in arms at delays, what delays? oh crap them delays, oh shite, oh crap, oh bugger.. the to do list is laughing at me!!
May 10th . send the passport application off, go to fedex forget the address, double crap, phone Bitch from Hell Number one. Please tell me the address that is on the table that I forogt, what paper? the paper on the table? what table? i swear by god if i could have put my hand down the phone and throttled her I would have. Fedex let me use the pc to find the address. Wrote address, Mrs Fedex looks at me and says what state is Washington dc in... is this a trick question? It must be, gotta be. No one is that bloody stupid..
May 20... decide to go into pc and track passports did they arrive? They did, may 13.
May 21, 22, 23, 24,25,26 check if money has gone out of credit card.No money out ... oh pissy pants.
May 28 - kids u might not be going on holiday. Kids - mama u %^&% up. now i would never admit to it.. but that to do list.... hmmm
Jun 3 Money has left the credit card. They have my money, must be a good sign, my moneys gone, no passports but the money has gone.
June 7 read on British expats from Dean and enquiery service. Fill out the form and press send.
June 8. Land in Detroit . Mr Sexy Voice (swoon) calls and tells me I need pics countersigned. They are countersigned .. no NOT FROM UR HUSBAND..i know he had a point but u know a girl got to do what a girls got to do. He is a cop doenst that make him an honest law abiding citizen?? The girls look the same.. no they dont look the same they were 10 and 12 when they had the pics done.. they look the same they do.. i know i live with them.. grrrr.. get the photos done and back to me ...ok submission.. He is right i am wrong.Drive 98 miles an hour on the highway. I swear if the cops had pulled me over i would have said Gerry told me to... : )
June 9 - Gerry calls.. oh let me go into my own quiet space to purr...... Tells me the passports will be sent out on 10 will arrive on 11..
June 10 - Passports arrive....

big BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU.

My to do list has been destroyed!!


JulesNYC Jun 12th 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Dean - FYI
I just tried to fill out the passport enquiry form (USA), twice. Each time I got an error message once I click on 'submit' telling me that my session has expired. (I was on less than 1 min. filling out the form each time).

Just wanted to let you know in case others are experiencing the same problems.

JulesNYC Jun 12th 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by JulesNYC (Post 7658918)
Dean - FYI
I just tried to fill out the passport enquiry form (USA), twice. Each time I got an error message once I click on 'submit' telling me that my session has expired. (I was on less than 1 min. filling out the form each time).

Just wanted to let you know in case others are experiencing the same problems.

Hey folks - I figured out this issue might only pertain to those of you using Firefox as a browser. I tried submitting my form again using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox and I had no problems.

Just FYI..

mainscow Jun 12th 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
So I have an update. The embassy just called. They needed a copy of a my greencard to verify the picture on my application. They said that barring any problems, it should be issued really soon, and be in my hand within 4 days. Finally think I'm getting somewhere....

Cachad Jun 13th 2009 12:04 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by aliandchris (Post 7550567)
I was thinking people could post their time frames on passport delays here. Currently the British Embassy in Washington is experiencing technical difficulties that make British passport changes horrendously slow.

If you've recently sent off your passport and have received it back, can you please post when you sent it, the date they took the payment, and when you received the passport.

I was in a Major car collision on April 9th. Was in hospital ten days
Fiance got emergency leave April 10th
Passport lost in Iraq
Applied April 12
waited, waited
they STARTED processing his passport may 10th and we're STILL waiting!!!!! He's a Former Royal Marine Commando working in Iraq and we cannot get one single person at the embassy here in Washington DC or Kuwait/Doha/Dubai to get things moving. He's been stuck in limbo since April and I had to send my child to rotate living with different classmates she wont miss school. I wont go into what else I have had to do to get through this. I REALLY need some help here. Abtrans non 900 number at least got me to a real person who was no help.

taradem Jun 13th 2009 12:16 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
PM Dean - he is great and I'm sure will point you in the right direction.
Hope all works out for you,
take care xx


Originally Posted by Cachad (Post 7660273)
I was in a Major car collision on April 9th. Was in hospital ten days
Fiance got emergency leave April 10th
Passport lost in Iraq
Applied April 12
waited, waited
they STARTED processing his passport may 10th and we're STILL waiting!!!!! He's a Former Royal Marine Commando working in Iraq and we cannot get one single person at the embassy here in Washington DC or Kuwait/Doha/Dubai to get things moving. He's been stuck in limbo since April and I had to send my child to rotate living with different classmates she wont miss school. I wont go into what else I have had to do to get through this. I REALLY need some help here. Abtrans non 900 number at least got me to a real person who was no help.


pmills Jun 15th 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Hi,
My application was received June 3rd....i had wanted to travel by the 6th of July does it seem possible? I paid for the application with a money order also does that make any difference in how fast the application shall be processed?

20masonroad Jun 15th 2009 1:48 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Based on my experience, if they received it June 3rd, they will start your application sometime at the end of June, then you might get it by mid July....
Good luck.
Read this thread, it might give some ideas on how to hussle them, but in general, it don't work....You sit and wait!

pmills Jun 15th 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I thought so too,thanks though!

mainscow Jun 15th 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I don't know if it doesn't work. I think earlier Dean said something about having a firm travel plan. If you don't have a travel plan, you'll be in the bottom of the pile, but if you do, they will expedite it.

I would give Careline a call. Let them know you are waiting, and that there is an urgency because you have booked a flight. I had to do this last week - I had the flight numbers handy - they messaged the embassy, and the embassy called me the very next day. They needed some extra stuff (scanned licence and greencard), and they emailed me back to say that everything looked fine and I should have my passport in a couple of days. It's worth a try, you have nothing to lose apart from about $10 in phone calls. Their phone system seems a lot fairer than Abtran too. I called the London number.

Good luck,
Mark

pmills Jun 15th 2009 2:22 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Thanks,
I think i'll give that a try too.I was having problems with the careline number earlier so I just completed the status enquiry form online. I will try again though hopefully I get lucky.

Cachad Jun 15th 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by taradem (Post 7660292)
PM Dean - he is great and I'm sure will point you in the right direction.
Hope all works out for you,
take care xx

Taradem, Back in May, when I was lucky enough to find this site, I had called Dean's consulate and was told by a nice man there that unfortunately they could not help me. I was directed to the Washington DC Embassy and was given the same spiel. We're at wits end to be honest.

taradem Jun 15th 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
PM Dean through the site.
I just received my passports today, they were issued on Friday but only after Clare from Ottawa made a call. That is 7 weeks from when I applied. Its appalling.[


QUOTE=Cachad;7666870]Taradem, Back in May, when I was lucky enough to find this site, I had called Dean's consulate and was told by a nice man there that unfortunately they could not help me. I was directed to the Washington DC Embassy and was given the same spiel. We're at wits end to be honest.[/QUOTE]

1234qwer Jun 16th 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by aliandchris (Post 7555267)
Whats the 8 weeks bit about? My parents are going over to see my wife's family's place and if it's 8 weeks then we won't be there at the same time as them. Russd, have you received yours yet. We also had our payment taken on April 15th. We're simply doing a name change, the sad thing is we may have been able to go over without doing that. C'est la vive.
chris and ali

unfortunatly mine was a name change and l had a confirmed date for travel and l honestly belive they held up my passport because l complained to them first, as soon as l went through Ottowa l got results ( with Claire) but it still came a week late

cathy22w Jun 16th 2009 10:12 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by 1234qwer (Post 7670695)
unfortunatly mine was a name change and l had a confirmed date for travel and l honestly belive they held up my passport because l complained to them first, as soon as l went through Ottowa l got results ( with Claire) but it still came a week late

I filled out that form online last week... and the passport arrived today. Nice. That's a worry off.

alamacra Jun 17th 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by alamacra (Post 7624271)
We mailed applications on April 22nd via UPS, with payment taken May 14th. We are not traveling until June 24th, so are not yet at the point of full panic. It would be good to be able to get an update, however. This afternoon the Careline number at 1 900 945 2220 seems to be permanently unavailable.

With a week until we travel I am beginning to worry. I submitted a status inquiry on June 6th, and received a stock email saying "...we aim to issue your passport before you are due to travel. We will only contact you again if we will unable to meet your travel deadline, or there is a problem with your application.". Not hugely reassuring. I have not used the premium phone line yet, as others don't appear to find it useful.

Can anyone say whether I can expect our passports to appear with under a week to go without making further fuss?

taradem Jun 17th 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Who can say? I would suggest you PM Dean to get him to look into it. I got ours on Monday and I sent them on the same date as you but the money was taken May 22nd. I wouldn't bother with the premium rate line. They only give you status updates - they can't get anything moving. They did tell me that it is 20 days from when your money was taken if that helps at all?
Good Luck!





Originally Posted by alamacra (Post 7672829)
With a week until we travel I am beginning to worry. I submitted a status inquiry on June 6th, and received a stock email saying "...we aim to issue your passport before you are due to travel. We will only contact you again if we will unable to meet your travel deadline, or there is a problem with your application.". Not hugely reassuring. I have not used the premium phone line yet, as others don't appear to find it useful.

Can anyone say whether I can expect our passports to appear with under a week to go without making further fuss?


JulesNYC Jun 17th 2009 2:11 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Hello everyone

I just got my passport, and I must say I am pretty amazed because obviously I am an exception based on a lot of your stories.

I sent my passport in via Express mail on May 26th. (Confirmed receipt next day as I tracked it online). Originally, I did not need it back until end July as I was going on my honeymoon August 1st. We spent over $5000 on a 10 day Caribbean cruise so when I heard about all of the delays I really panicked - they won't let me on the ship without a passport. Then I heard some of you needed to send in copies of green-cards, etc. I had not included a copy so I was fully expecting to hear back from the Embassy requesting a copy.

Anyhoo - last week I heard I had to travel for work mid-July. I sent Dean a note and he told me that by the time I travel, I'll definitely have my passport. I also sent in an inquiry via the website form and received a standard notice stating all delays will be cleared up by the time I travel but to call the # on the website if I did not have my passport a week prior to travel.

I got a phone-call this morning from UPS - an automated system informing me a package was being delivered by USP air for delivery today and someone needed to be home to sign. I was expecting this to be my fiance's passport but it was mine. I'm amazed how quickly I received it based on the delays going on. Exactly 3 weeks from the date of receipt.

I did pay via US money order - I noted that someone else also paid via money order and she got hers rather rapidly too. Not sure if that made a difference or not, but I wanted to point it out.

So relieved I have the passport and now I can go on the honeymoon we saved so hard for.

So in my experience, it's either the money order making a difference or the Embassy are catching up and passports are indeed being expedited now. Anyone else pay via Money-Order and receive their passport quickly?

PS: Thank you Dean for your response to my note.

dbnull Jun 18th 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I submitted my 3 boys passport application in April and it was signed for at Washington on the 20th of April, 09. My CC was charged on the 10th of May.
I still havent heard anything yet.

I have called Careline a total of three times being charged up to $45 altogether and twice they got the kids detail and told me that 2 of my kids (first and last born) status is in processing but did not have any information of my 2nd sons. Twice they emailed washington and said I would get a response in the next 48hours, unfortunately I did not get any response.

I have also filled the passport enquiry for my 3 children and got the same automated reply some of you have received, only 1 automated email for the 3 enquires based on each of my children.

It is now 9 weeks since it was received in Washington and still no response from the Embassy about the status of the 3 kids Passport application. This is their first passport, their ages are 5+, 4+ and 19months, are all born in the States and filing by descent.

I would have loved to PM Dean, unfortunately the forum rules states one needs to have at least 3 posting before it can be enabled.

I would be glad if someone can please kindly assist.

Jerseygirl Jun 18th 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by dbnull (Post 7676954)
I submitted my 3 boys passport application in April and it was signed for at Washington on the 20th of April, 09. My CC was charged on the 10th of May.
I still havent heard anything yet.

I have called Careline a total of three times being charged up to $45 altogether and twice they got the kids detail and told me that 2 of my kids (first and last born) status is in processing but did not have any information of my 2nd sons. Twice they emailed washington and said I would get a response in the next 48hours, unfortunately I did not get any response.

I have also filled the passport enquiry for my 3 children and got the same automated reply some of you have received, only 1 automated email for the 3 enquires based on each of my children.

It is now 9 weeks since it was received in Washington and still no response from the Embassy about the status of the 3 kids Passport application. This is their first passport, their ages are 5+, 4+ and 19months, are all born in the States and filing by descent.

I would have loved to PM Dean, unfortunately the forum rules states one needs to have at least 3 posting before it can be enabled.

I would be glad if someone can please kindly assist.

Make 2 more posts then you will be able to send a PM.

dbnull Jun 18th 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Thank you JerseyGirl

Jerseygirl Jun 18th 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by dbnull (Post 7677023)
Thank you JerseyGirl

There you are...now you can send and receive PMs.

BTW welcome to BE. :)

dbnull Jun 18th 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Did & Done.
Thanks for welcoming me.

yesserc Jun 19th 2009 12:21 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
Sent my app May 26th. Embassy ran the credit card June 8th. Travel date is June 26th (next Friday). Do I have any hope of getting it back in time? (it was a renewel)

mainscow Jun 19th 2009 2:24 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
OK, so my credit card was run on March 16th, and I got my passport yesterday. I called the Careline number last Thursday. My application was a little more complicated because my passport was lost while I was in Mexico in February. When I called Careline last week, I told them that I had a firm travel date, gave them the flight numbers, and that expedited things.

Call the number!!!!

alison1 Jun 20th 2009 1:33 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
We sent our application at end of April travel next week and have still not received the passports. Things don't seem to be getting any better

alison1 Jun 20th 2009 1:36 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
I called the UK based helpline that is on the passport website and they said they would contact the Washington embassy to expedite - has anyone else been successful with this approach?

alison1 Jun 20th 2009 1:43 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
Not sure if this will work

yesserc Jun 20th 2009 1:46 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
I travel a week today. At what point should I contact my local consulate? (I live in Orlando)

Bob Jun 20th 2009 2:27 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
try reading the thread guys...plenty of advice already mentioned here...

dbnull Jun 20th 2009 2:36 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
I think Washington is trying their utmost best to satisfy the intended date of travel filled on the passport form and/or based on the Passport enquiry on their website.
I did receive a call today from UPS and our package was delivered this morning, unfortunately since the application for my children is by descent, they require us to send them the hospital records for our children and also fill out a marriage declaration form. The marriage declaration form I believe is because I am British (me being the father) and their mother is not.

I did wait for a while, but based on their new IT application/integration, I can tell you how tough these things can be, being in the same Industry.

Keep hope alive, they are thinking about your plans too.

Nigel84 Jun 25th 2009 5:02 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
I am glad I found this thread, it's been of great help to me.

I sent my passport application about a month ago. They finally charged my card last Friday but so far nothing has come in. Based on posts here it appears I may still have a long wait to go:thumbdown:

I sent an inquiry through the consulate website but I just got a generic email in response. It would be nice to know if all my paperwork was in order. I would hate to wait all this time just to receive the paperwork back stating something is wrong or missing.

Nigel84 Jun 25th 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
I do have a question for those of you that did receive your passports. Did you get any type of shipping confirmation that the embassy shipped your passport or did it just show up?

JulesNYC Jun 25th 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Nigel84 (Post 7699695)
I do have a question for those of you that did receive your passports. Did you get any type of shipping confirmation that the embassy shipped your passport or did it just show up?

I got an automated voicemail from UPS on the day of delivery, stating the shipment # and that I needed to be home to sign for the packet. Passport arrived approximately 2 hours later.

British Consul Jun 25th 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Nigel84 (Post 7697349)
I am glad I found this thread, it's been of great help to me.

I sent my passport application about a month ago. They finally charged my card last Friday but so far nothing has come in. Based on posts here it appears I may still have a long wait to go:thumbdown:

I sent an inquiry through the consulate website but I just got a generic email in response. It would be nice to know if all my paperwork was in order. I would hate to wait all this time just to receive the paperwork back stating something is wrong or missing.

The "generic" email you mention will give an indication as to whether your status request is being worked on, and you will have been given advice as to when/if our staff will contact you. The people handling the on-line status enquiries are not in the same location as those processing the passports and are solely tracking and managing urgent applications. If the passport examiners find there is a problem with your application, they will contact you separately.

Nigel84 Jun 25th 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 7699744)
The "generic" email you mention will give an indication as to whether your status request is being worked on, and you will have been given advice as to when/if our staff will contact you. The people handling the on-line status enquiries are not in the same location as those processing the passports and are solely tracking and managing urgent applications. If the passport examiners find there is a problem with your application, they will contact you separately.

Oh ok thank you :)

Yea I thought it looked generic based on its wording because it didn't really give any specific information other than this is a period when passport processing times are delayed and I will be contacted if there is a problem. Didn't really tell one way or another if it was being worked on, was processed, pending something, etc. I assume it's currently being processed due to them charging my card last Friday.

Nigel84 Jun 25th 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by JulesNYC (Post 7699710)
I got an automated voicemail from UPS on the day of delivery, stating the shipment # and that I needed to be home to sign for the packet. Passport arrived approximately 2 hours later.


That's good to know. Wonder if that's done in all cases or just a feature of the UPS hub in your area? I know with past signature required deliveries I have had I never got any notification like that. I just got the call tag on the door if I missed the delivery.

JulesNYC Jun 25th 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Nigel84 (Post 7699997)
That's good to know. Wonder if that's done in all cases or just a feature of the UPS hub in your area? I know with past signature required deliveries I have had I never got any notification like that. I just got the call tag on the door if I missed the delivery.

My fiance has a lot of UPS deliveries - I can tell you that we never get notified by phone or any other form of communique telling us they will be delivering something. This was a first!

Nigel84 Jun 26th 2009 5:52 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by JulesNYC (Post 7700037)
My fiance has a lot of UPS deliveries - I can tell you that we never get notified by phone or any other form of communique telling us they will be delivering something. This was a first!

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

Maybe they request this from UPS being that these are government documents or something:confused: Anyone else here given a heads up when the passport was shipped?

That would be nice as it would allow me to try to make sure someone can sign for it. Saves me going all the way to the UPS hub.

I am hoping I get the passport soon as I am leaving on the 22nd of July. I sent my US passport with my UK passport documentation so I have no passports to travel on right now:( I am thinking I should be ok but some of the stories on here got me spooked. I am glad I paid extra for the refundable plane tickets:fingerscrossed:

JulesNYC Jun 26th 2009 11:39 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Nigel84 (Post 7700785)
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

Maybe they request this from UPS being that these are government documents or something:confused: Anyone else here given a heads up when the passport was shipped?

That would be nice as it would allow me to try to make sure someone can sign for it. Saves me going all the way to the UPS hub.

I am hoping I get the passport soon as I am leaving on the 22nd of July. I sent my US passport with my UK passport documentation so I have no passports to travel on right now:( I am thinking I should be ok but some of the stories on here got me spooked. I am glad I paid extra for the refundable plane tickets:fingerscrossed:

I was also super spooked when I first put my passport in for renewal, given the stories I've read! We are going on a honeymoon cruise we saved all year for and they won't let me on the ship without the passport! Panic didn't even begin to describe it!

I must say though I was super impressed by how quickly I received my passport. I did pay with a US money order so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. (Mine took a total of 3 weeks to get to me). I am sure the UPS notification is something the Embassy has worked with UPS on - it's a nice touch.

I have my fingers crossed for you too - from what I hear the Embassy are working on clearing up the delays, I am sure you'll get it back in time. Keep us posted!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:48 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.