British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

riggbeck Jan 22nd 2010 2:48 am

Re: Passport Delays

Thanks Sharron,

It's about the photo size, 45mm x 35mm, or 1.77" x 1.38", with 65% - 75% of it a head shot.

I got a couple of American size passport photos (2 & 1/8" square). If cut down to the requisite UK size, they probably would give a 65% - 75% head shot. But are they expecting me to do that, or would they do it as a matter of course?

I'm stressing so much about this because I travel on March 1, or a few days later, and I can't afford any delays.

Seems to me it wasn't such a pain in the arse 10 years ago (pardon my French).

So, if anyone knows the answer to this riddle, please let me know.

Bob Jan 22nd 2010 3:00 am

Originally Posted by riggbeck (Post 8271489)
Thanks Sharron,

It's about the photo size, 45mm x 35mm, or 1.77" x 1.38", with 65% - 75% of it a head shot.

I got a couple of American size passport photos (2 & 1/8" square). If cut down to the requisite UK size, they probably would give a 65% - 75% head shot. But are they expecting me to do that, or would they do it as a matter of course?

I'm stressing so much about this because I travel on March 1, or a few days later, and I can't afford any delays.

Seems to me it wasn't such a pain in the arse 10 years ago (pardon my French).

So, if anyone knows the answer to this riddle, please let me know.

you don't cut the US photo's down, just send them in and they'll cut them themselves, you'll be fine.

It's been mentioned lots already in the thread....welcome to BE though :)

riggbeck Jan 22nd 2010 3:01 am

Wooglin,

Idiot! Slaps his forehead. You're right. It never occurred to me that a helpline for people living in America would actually require an international call.

Thanks, panic over.

Now I'm on this forum I'll stay and have a look round.

Jerseygirl Jan 22nd 2010 3:03 am

Originally Posted by riggbeck (Post 8271515)
Wooglin,

Idiot! Slaps his forehead. You're right. It never occurred to me that a helpline for people living in America would actually require an international call.

Thanks, panic over.

Please do. :)

Welcome to BE.

Take a look around...hopefully you will decide to stick around and become a member of our little online community.

Sharron_ Jan 22nd 2010 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8271512)
you don't cut the US photo's down, just send them in and they'll cut them themselves, you'll be fine.

It's been mentioned lots already in the thread....welcome to BE though :)

Yes Bob is right.

I actually sent my sons British passport off this past summer for renewal. I got six US Size Passport photos. (DON'T Trim them)...they do it at the passport office. My son's were also on a white background with one of them countersigned.

We had no problem's at all.

We shall be renewing my daughter's British Passport in a few weeks and intend to do the same.

Hope that helps.

Wooglin Jan 22nd 2010 11:08 am

Originally Posted by riggbeck (Post 8271515)
Wooglin,

Thanks, panic over.

It happens to everyone! Be sure to post anticipated travel dates on your application as they will not fast track your application if you leave it blank. Another poster wrote on here that since they were not travelling soon, that they were pushed to the back of the line.

Wooglin

geoffreybrooks Jan 26th 2010 2:02 pm

My passport renewal arrived today, the 70th day after despatch.

This is the time frame:
19 November 2009: British Embassy in Washington received the application.
30 November 2009: They cashed payment (bankers' draft)
19 January 2010: They issued passport
Today: UPS delivered it.

No covering letter, no apology for delay. The new passport is heavier than the expiring document. This is due to the penultimate page which is wholly plasticated and contains the bearer's details. On the reverse of the page is a rectangle (3 inches long x 1.5 inches broad) made up of five strands of fine coppery wire, two single wires lead from the rectangular form into a small black chip. This chip no doubt contains all their worst suspicions about the holder.

dottypotty Jan 26th 2010 6:19 pm

Does anyone know in what circumstance emergency passports will be issued? Mine and my childrens passports expired in August and our circumstances are such that we need to return to the uk for good.

Zonie Jan 26th 2010 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dottypotty (Post 8284388)
Does anyone know in what circumstance emergency passports will be issued? Mine and my childrens passports expired in August and our circumstances are such that we need to return to the uk for good.

Follow this link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=640935&page=5

Post #64 has your options as detailed by a British Consul. Your return timescale will dictate your choice of option.

jewels391234 Feb 1st 2010 6:35 pm

Hey everyone thought I would give you an update on my British passport journey.
Oct 14th,2009- passport fees taken
Dec 19th,2009 - Called the Careline for the first time. Cant do anything because I am not travelling in 5 days. Told to call back in the New Year.
Jan 6th,2010- Called the Careline AGAIN told they still cant do anything. They will talk to their Supervisor to see if they can do anything. Told to call back in a week.
At this point its been 4 months and nothing!!!!!!
Jan 20th called - nothing same old crap
Feb 1st,2010- Person on the phone finally excluded my application!!!! FINALLY. But then he said he cant guarantee anything ....Not happy about that at all!!!!
So here I am no passport 4 months later. I cant make any travel plans until I get it!!!
My point is be forewarned when you apply for your passport be prepared for the delay
Good luck everyone!!!!

jewels391234 Feb 1st 2010 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jewels391234 (Post 8301877)
Hey everyone thought I would give you an update on my British passport journey.
Oct 14th,2009- passport fees taken
Dec 19th,2009 - Called the Careline for the first time. Cant do anything because I am not travelling in 5 days. Told to call back in the New Year.
Jan 6th,2010- Called the Careline AGAIN told they still cant do anything. They will talk to their Supervisor to see if they can do anything. Told to call back in a week.
At this point its been 4 months and nothing!!!!!!
Jan 20th called - nothing same old crap
Feb 1st,2010- Person on the phone finally excluded my application!!!! FINALLY. But then he said he cant guarantee anything ....Not happy about that at all!!!!
So here I am no passport 4 months later. I cant make any travel plans until I get it!!!
My point is be forewarned when you apply for your passport be prepared for the delay
Good luck everyone!!!!

Sorry meant excalated my passport application

geoffreybrooks Feb 2nd 2010 3:11 pm

Jewels391234

You should realize by now that Careline is not there to help you. "Escalating a renewal" is meaningless crap. It is a waste of your time and money contacting them.

It took ten weeks for my own passport renewal to be processed and issued. This delay was undoubtedly due to the fact that I am a published writer with technical military knowledge which it is considered undesirable to have in the current terrorist climate. The fact that my knowledge relates only to the end of the Nazi period ought not to worry them, but perhaps old Hitler had something up his sleeve at the end after all.

All the suspicions and doubts they have about me are recorded in the chip which you will see on the reverse of the personal details page. With the greatest respect, four months is a period which suggests that they, and particularly the United States, have serious security worries about you. One should consider past actions not only of oneself but also relatives in this regard.

I sympathize with you in your frustration.

jewels391234 Feb 2nd 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks (Post 8304858)
Jewels391234

You should realize by now that Careline is not there to help you. "Escalating a renewal" is meaningless crap. It is a waste of your time and money contacting them.

It took ten weeks for my own passport renewal to be processed and issued. This delay was undoubtedly due to the fact that I am a published writer with technical military knowledge which it is considered undesirable to have in the current terrorist climate. The fact that my knowledge relates only to the end of the Nazi period ought not to worry them, but perhaps old Hitler had something up his sleeve at the end after all.

All the suspicions and doubts they have about me are recorded in the chip which you will see on the reverse of the personal details page. With the greatest respect, four months is a period which suggests that they, and particularly the United States, have serious security worries about you. One should consider past actions not only of oneself but also relatives in this regard.

First of all the United States have nothing to do with the issuing of the British Passport and I have absolutely no one in my immediate or past family that have any political or criminal past so that is definitley NOTHING to do with it. My other family recieved their passport quickly. I totally disagree with your view of my 4 month delay. It all has to do with them putting me on to a bottom of a pile because I have no travel plans thats it.
I just wanted to warn other British citizens of the length of time that they MIGHT encounter. It isnt a streamline system what so ever.
Please put a travel date on your application its will cause less problems and delays for you
Good Luck

zargof Feb 2nd 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks (Post 8304858)
Jewels391234

My suggestion for you would be take some of the tin foil left over from making your hat and wrap that around your passport, then they won't be able to read the chip.

geoffreybrooks Feb 2nd 2010 6:37 pm

Zargoff

I understand that a brief visit of your passport to the interior of a micro-wave oven will destroy the information on the chip but will also cause unwarranted delays at immigration when travelling.

The UK Embassy brochure states that the primary reason for the new arrangement with Washington is to "better protect UK borders" which indicates clearly the true purpose behind the delays.