British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

easterebel Dec 9th 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8142748)
The UK Embassy for North America is in Washington DC. The US is a large country...some of the people posting in this thread are from Canada...which is an even larger country...so it's probably not possible for most to attend in person.;)

I agree. Sorry to hear about it.

easterebel Dec 9th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamestravis (Post 8079142)
How long did it take them to take out the payment? Mine has already been 15 working days.

My payment came out almost immediately (about 3 working days), but I haven't heard anything since....and it's been a month.

jamestravis Dec 9th 2009 4:16 pm

The first time they had problems with the payment so they sent it back to me and asked for a money order. I sent that to them on the 9th November and got my new passport back yesterday 8th December. Have you tried calling Careline?

easterebel Dec 9th 2009 5:02 pm

After reading through the various posts, I'm in two minds about calling them. I can't afford to spend $100+ if I don't get sone worthwhile information. Did you call them? How was your experience?

Wooglin Dec 9th 2009 6:17 pm

I have called a few times and it never lasts more than 6 mins. I call the UK number rather than the 900 number. You are connected to an agent almost immediately, and it is worth it if you have concerns or questions. They will ask you for your credit card number immediately, and then they will answer any questions about your passport application status.

jamestravis Dec 9th 2009 7:38 pm

Costs about $5-6 a call. Like Wooglin said they answer quickly and the calls only take 5-6 minutes.

ian-mstm Dec 9th 2009 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8142748)
The UK Embassy for North America is in Washington DC.

Umm... no, it isn't. There isn't a UK Embassy for North America. The UK Embassy for the US is in Washington DC. The UK Embassy for Canada is in Ottawa. The UK Embassy for Mexico is in Mexico City.

Ian - stepping down off pedantic soapbox now

Jerseygirl Dec 9th 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8160359)
Umm... no, it isn't. There isn't a UK Embassy for North America. The UK Embassy for the US is in Washington DC. The UK Embassy for Canada is in Ottawa. The UK Embassy for Mexico is in Mexico City.

Ian - stepping down off pedantic soapbox now

For UK PP applications/renewals (which is the subject being discussed in this thread) the UK Embassy is in Washington DC...and we've only been discussing Canada and the US not Mexico.:p :p

British Consul Dec 9th 2009 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8160405)
For UK PP applications/renewals (which is the subject being discussed in this thread) the UK Embassy is in Washington DC...and we've only been discussing Canada and the US not Mexico.:p :p

You're both correct (kind of). The UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean is based in Washington D.C. (not in the same building as the Embassy, but still in Washington D.C.).

Dean

Wooglin Dec 9th 2009 11:06 pm

And for Canada, it is not called the British Embassy, but rather, the British High Commission. Guess it must be a Commonwealth thing.

ian-mstm Dec 10th 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin (Post 8160701)
And for Canada, it is not called the British Embassy, but rather, the British High Commission.

I lived in Kingston for 13 years and travelled to Ottawa umpteen times... and I didn't know that! I love this forum... I learn new stuff all the time!

Ian

Wooglin Dec 10th 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8160912)
I lived in Kingston for 13 years and travelled to Ottawa umpteen times... and I didn't know that! I love this forum... I learn new stuff all the time!

Ian

I didn't know that until I applied for my UK citizenship. I went looking for the British Embassy online, but kept on getting the British High Commission. It sounded like a Consulate or something similar, but it is the place! It is right on Elgin Street in downtown Ottawa. It is housed in the former National Art Gallery building.

http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/

easterebel Dec 10th 2009 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamestravis (Post 8160245)
Costs about $5-6 a call. Like Wooglin said they answer quickly and the calls only take 5-6 minutes.

I just received a call informing me that my passport has been issued (renewal) and that I it will be delivered tomorrow. I sent it off on November 11th, my credit card was charged on the 16th, and, fingers crossed, I will get it back tomorrow (December 12th). I was getting worried, but, after reading through the various posts, I called the careline, which I found to be very helpful and took less than 10 minutes. I also contacted Dean and he forwarded my request onto the appropriate people. All said, it must have worked because I got two separate phone calls today to tell me that my renewal had been processed and that my passport was on its way to me.
My experience would have been a very nervous one had I not contacted Dean or called careline. I strongly suggest that anyone who has been waiting for 10 business days or more to contact either for help. They were very timely, polite, and sorted out my problem with a great degree of professionalism.
Thank you!
James

jamestravis Dec 10th 2009 5:13 pm

Your welcome :thumbup:

Wooglin Dec 10th 2009 9:39 pm

I am getting so angry. I called Careline and apparently they have not even looked at the application yet. Apparently there are 4 stages or so that the Passport goes through and mine is apparently "frozen" or stuck at stage one. I don't mind if the application is at least moving along, but it looks like it has not even been touched. Good god this is so frustrating. I can't even talk to an official in Washington. They have put another escalation through to speed things up, and I am expecting a call or e-mail from them shortly...I hope.