British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

welshwer Dec 1st 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 8081287)
wow: cool!

that was quick

welshwer Dec 1st 2009 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by welshwer (Post 8139344)
that was quick

hello

Wooglin Dec 2nd 2009 2:04 pm

I finally had contact from Washington. I called Careline again and they asked someone to contact me. The Passport Office sent me an e-mail that basically stated that since I was a first time applicant, that it can take from 4-8 weeks to process. Dean had mentioned this, and now the Passport Office is confirming this. This is great news as all I wanted was someone there to just tell me that the processing was still continuing and there were no issues. :thumbup:

CJames Dec 2nd 2009 8:20 pm

I can't comment on applying for a passport by mail, the only time I have done that was for my first passport when living in the UK and applying for it by mail from Liverpool.

From my experience of British Embassies and Consulates overseas however I have never had to wait more than 3 days for a new passport, but have always applied for a new one in person, in a few different countries (I am now on m 10th passport in 15 years! Long story).

I once got a temporary, 1 year passport, at the British Consulate in Miami a few years ago whilst travelling from Seattle to Curacao via Miami. An hour after landing in Miami I realised that I had left my passport on the plane. "Too late" I was told, the plane was heading back to Seattle... The wife was less than impressed:thumbdown:!

After an hour of looking at our options we jumped in a taxi with our carry on luggage and headed to the British Consulate. An hour after arriving there I had a fresh passport, valid for a year, in my hands. A few hundred dollars lighter and 5 hours later we landed in Curacao. (2 days later my original passport was sent to me in Curacao from the airline.).

From my experience I would always recommend you apply in person for a new passport if you can, even if it costs time and money to get to a British Consulate/Embassy. As an overseas Brit this is probably the most important document you will have/need.

islander66 Dec 2nd 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8137240)
Isn't yours a first time application? Takes longer if it is.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Mine was a basic renewal. It's been in now for over four weeks. The application was received on 2nd Nov and the fee was debited from my account back on 6th November. Haven't heard anything since. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not gone missing !

Wooglin Dec 3rd 2009 12:46 am

If you call the Careline, they can confirm your application is being processed.

Jerseygirl Dec 3rd 2009 1:49 am

Originally Posted by CJames (Post 8142154)
I can't comment on applying for a passport by mail, the only time I have done that was for my first passport when living in the UK and applying for it by mail from Liverpool.

From my experience of British Embassies and Consulates overseas however I have never had to wait more than 3 days for a new passport, but have always applied for a new one in person, in a few different countries (I am now on m 10th passport in 15 years! Long story).

I once got a temporary, 1 year passport, at the British Consulate in Miami a few years ago whilst travelling from Seattle to Curacao via Miami. An hour after landing in Miami I realised that I had left my passport on the plane. "Too late" I was told, the plane was heading back to Seattle... The wife was less than impressed:thumbdown:!

After an hour of looking at our options we jumped in a taxi with our carry on luggage and headed to the British Consulate. An hour after arriving there I had a fresh passport, valid for a year, in my hands. A few hundred dollars lighter and 5 hours later we landed in Curacao. (2 days later my original passport was sent to me in Curacao from the airline.).

From my experience I would always recommend you apply in person for a new passport if you can, even if it costs time and money to get to a British Consulate/Embassy. As an overseas Brit this is probably the most important document you will have/need.

The UK Embassy for North America is in Washington DC. The US is a large country...some of the people posting in this thread are from Canada...which is an even larger country...so it's probably not possible for most to attend in person.;)

Retseh Dec 3rd 2009 2:49 pm

I wish I had seen this thread before mailing my passport in to the DC Embassy and stupidly trusting their "10 day" turn around time. Luckily I'm in no hurry to get the passport back.

It looks like the "little piece of Britain" that is over here is just as lazy and incompetent as the bigger piece we left behind.

Wooglin Dec 3rd 2009 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8142748)
The UK Embassy for North America is in Washington DC. The US is a large country...some of the people posting in this thread are from Canada...which is an even larger country...so it's probably not possible for most to attend in person.;)

Had I known how long a UK passport would take me, I would have driven 11 hours to Washington and taken in the sites!!:lol:

jamestravis Dec 3rd 2009 9:53 pm

It's only 45 minutes down the road for me and I mailed it ... Would probably have it by now if I had gone down there in the very first case...

Wooglin Dec 3rd 2009 10:49 pm

Apparently they do not have parking near the Embassy, so it might have been a bit of a walk! I would have handed it in person had I lived so close!

jamestravis Dec 4th 2009 12:55 am

The nearest metro station is more than a mile away too...:thumbdown:

jamestravis Dec 7th 2009 2:01 pm

Just called Careline and apparently my passport was printed on Friday so should be with me any day now :thumbup: Just in time for leaving on the 22nd :D So to summarize passport application returned to me for corrections Nov 9th. Returned to the passport office on the same day. Passport printed December 4th.

Wooglin Dec 7th 2009 2:06 pm

Great news! Am still waiting myself.

jamestravis Dec 8th 2009 4:04 pm

And it arrived at 9:30 this morning. No phone call this time though :confused: