Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:12 am
Just Joined

sirwatson1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Passport Delays

Great news, the Consulate called me yesterday and said the passport will be leaving that evening.

I got a call this morning from an automatic UPS message saying it would arrive today.

Unfortunately, it has not arrived today and so I called UPS. THEY SAID THEY LOST THE PACKAGE and will try and track it and let me know.

Unbelievable. They wasted 10 hours of me waiting in the house to sign and can't find it now. I am just laughing at this point, I can't believe this entire process. If they really did lose it, I am going to go crazy.

Ahhhhhh That means they have lost both my american and british passport as well as original documents.

Last edited by sirwatson1; Jul 15th 2009 at 2:32 am.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Jdatlas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sirwatson1
Great news, the Consulate called me yesterday and said the passport will be leaving that evening.

I got a call this morning from an automatic UPS message saying it would arrive today.

Unfortunately, it has not arrived today and so I called UPS. THEY SAID THEY LOST THE PACKAGE and will try and track it and let me know.

Unbelievable. They wasted 10 hours of me waiting in the house to sign and can't find it now. I am just laughing at this point, I can't believe this entire process. If they really did lose it, I am going to go crazy.

Ahhhhhh That means they have lost both my american and british passport as well as original documents.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they deliver your passports and documents in the morning. The UPS guy told me today that because it is sent overnight delivery they are required to deliver it by 10:30 am so you hopefully won't have to wait in all day.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:59 am
Just Joined

I hope so too
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Nigel84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the luck mate. Hopefully UPS is able to locate the envelope
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:26 am
Just Joined

suesann is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes indeed, Dean for PM!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

emmarachel2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

I received a call telling me that I would be receiving my passport back today, 7 weeks after they received it, and two days before I am traveling. Apparently a number of applications were outsourced to a different office to cope with the backlog. This is why, I'm assuming, the Careline people had no record of anything at all happening with my application since the money for processing was taken out of my account on June 9th, and why they were telling me that there was very little chance I would get the passport back in time. It could have saved me a lot of drama and stress if the embassy would tell their phone service about this outsourcing.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Does anyone have an official link to info on passport validity when travelling in and out of the US?
Shame on us, JAJ put it in the wiki right here for us.
Passports-Six Month Rule

It doesn't contain any official links; maybe someone can add lansbury's.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Well, they found it and it did arrive. However, you were right Nigel. There was a problem with the birth certificate because it was not issued within 3 months. What do you suggest I do?

And also, how long did it take to obtain your passport after the proper documentation was sent to them?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirwatson1
Well, they found it and it did arrive. However, you were right Nigel. There was a problem with the birth certificate because it was not issued within 3 months. What do you suggest I do?

And also, how long did it take to obtain your passport after the proper documentation was sent to them?
You can access a person's previous posts by clicking on their name to reach their profile and selecting 'all posts'. He had his own thread with lots of details; let's keep this one for this topic please.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

CB82 is an unknown quantity at this point

My original passport was returned to me today by UPS, as I never included the original marriage certificate. Since you only ever get certififed copies I sent a photocopy of one of those as nowhere in the notes did it actually say you must send your original marriage certificate for change of name - unless I missed it. I only noticed that if you change your name other than by marriage or adoption you must send the documentation to support that.

If i go the courthouse and get a certified copy (as I only have one) will that be accepted ok? I don't have originals. Also I originally paid by credit card, and I know I have to pay another $12. Will it be ok if I send a money order for the $12? They double charged my credit card before and I don't want them to charge anything else to it. Will they accept the money order if i've used a credit card before?

Thank you for all your advice.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:33 pm

A certified copy IS an 'original'. The original original is held by the local gov't.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
A certified copy IS an 'original'. The original original is held by the local gov't.
True, however the Embassy seems to be picky on when that certified copy was printed. Such as was the case when I sent in the certified copy of my birth certificate which I got a new copy of last year. The Embassy wanted additional documents supporting my BC since the certified copy wasn't printed itself within 3 months of my birth.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Emmad63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, has anyone else had trouble trying to send the passport application status enquiry form?
I'm at my wits' end: my son's passport was received in Washington on 2nd June, and the money went out of my account 18th June. Our original travel date (15th July) has gone by without a whisper, and I am desperate. We are now rebooked to travel on the 2nd August, and we can't miss this.
Every time I try to send the status enquiry form, it gets bounced back, with a message that I am 'timed out'. If anyone knows how to get round this, I'd be so grateful!
Emma D.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Emmad63
Hi, has anyone else had trouble trying to send the passport application status enquiry form?
I'm at my wits' end: my son's passport was received in Washington on 2nd June, and the money went out of my account 18th June. Our original travel date (15th July) has gone by without a whisper, and I am desperate. We are now rebooked to travel on the 2nd August, and we can't miss this.
Every time I try to send the status enquiry form, it gets bounced back, with a message that I am 'timed out'. If anyone knows how to get round this, I'd be so grateful!
Emma D.
If you are using Firefox try using Internet Explorer instead.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:47 am
Just Joined

suesann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emmad63
Emma D.
I had the same trouble over the past few weeks and the only way I found around it was to use a different computer. I couldn't work out what the problem was. Sorry to hear of your passport delays. I've just been through a similar scenario with my childrens passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.