British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

LFC1005 Aug 12th 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Below is our timeline for my son's passport:

June 13th - Mailed application
July 10th - Credit card charged
August 8th- Passport arrived:D

ian-mstm Aug 12th 2011 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by cpc996 (Post 9554513)
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had their cc or account charged and had their application denied?

Well, you pay for processing... not for approval - so I suppose it's possible. That said, I've never heard of it actually happening. If you're a UKC (and can demonstrate that via your application), you're entitled to a UK passport.

Ian

sammymummy Aug 12th 2011 3:09 pm

It's never happened to me.. but I have read that the first thing they do is charge you than start processing your application, so yes. and I don't think they refund your money if it's denied either cause they see it as your paying for the processing time. I wanna say if you look on the uk in USA website it's stated on there. But if you have any great concerns or think you may have filled it out wrong than call careline.

sammymummy Aug 12th 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by LFC1005 (Post 9554949)
Below is our timeline for my son's passport:

June 13th - Mailed application
July 10th - Credit card charged
August 8th- Passport arrived:D

Hey congratulations. Did you have to call care line and write emails, or did yours just show up?

Brit Bird Aug 12th 2011 6:06 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this website and want to give you the time-line for my son's passport renewal. I was not very optimistic about a quick turn-around time, especially having read some of the horror stories here, but I was pleasantly surprised ......

Sent request to Passport service DC via Priority Mail USPS on 1st July 2011
Checked bank statement fee was debited July 25 2011
Passport received via UPS 11 August 2011

I did not have to make any calls to the careline.....Overall I'm very happy with this service. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or perhaps they are getting their act together at last.

sammymummy Aug 12th 2011 7:41 pm

Oh wow that is a fast turn around, you are soooo lucky, right now I'm so scared that I will have to cancel my trip to go back to London, I called care line on Monday and they told me that they are putting my info in the system. So I just called them again and m passport hasn't moved they are still put me in the system. Really!!! it takes a week to update my information in their computer! It really isn't a first come first serve basis. Anyway sorry didn't mean to rain on your joy, congratulations, hope I will be posting my joys soon. Hope we all will.

shhu Aug 15th 2011 4:09 am

Hello

This is the first time I am posting. I just like reading these forums, but decided to post.

I sent my passport for a renewal as I was running out of pages. I still had two years left on it.

Sent by Fed-Ex: 3rd August, 2011
Received by Embassy in Washington: 4th August 2011
Credit Card charged: 8th August 2011

I have not received my passport yet, but I noticed in a lot of posts people's credit cards were being charged much later than when the documents were received. My card was charged in two business days of my documents being received by the embassy, given it was received just before a weekend. I realise the credit card gets charged first, but it seems like this part of the process was quick. I am hoping it will be the same for the actual receipt of my passport.

I will keep you posted on when I receive my new passport.

Sue Aug 15th 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by shhu (Post 9559772)
Hello

This is the first time I am posting. I just like reading these forums, but decided to post.

I sent my passport for a renewal as I was running out of pages. I still had two years left on it.

Sent by Fed-Ex: 3rd August, 2011
Received by Embassy in Washington: 4th August 2011
Credit Card charged: 8th August 2011

I have not received my passport yet, but I noticed in a lot of posts people's credit cards were being charged much later than when the documents were received. My card was charged in two business days of my documents being received by the embassy, given it was received just before a weekend. I realise the credit card gets charged first, but it seems like this part of the process was quick. I am hoping it will be the same for the actual receipt of my passport.

I will keep you posted on when I receive my new passport.

Welcome to BE.

Thanks for adding to the "Passports Timeline" and for joining. I hope you will stick around. :)

robh Aug 17th 2011 12:43 am

I've been following this thread for months, trying to work out if I'd have a window of opportunity to renew my passport this year as I cross the borders within North America fairly frequently, hard to find a long enough stay in one country. I finally took the gamble in mid July.

I can now report back: received my new (renewal) passport today! Only 32 days after sending it.

My timeline:

Sent old passport and application express post from Vancouver Island, Canada on July 15 (not long after the Canadian postal strike ended).

Package was received at Washington DC on July 21 (6 days later). Credit card charged on Aug 4 (day 20, 14 days after receipt).

New passport sent UPS from Washington DC yesterday Aug 15 at 3pm (day 31, 25 days after receipt, 11 days after credit card processed). Passport issue date also Aug 15.

Passport arrived 11am at my address in Vancouver Island, Canada (less than 24 hours after being sent from Washington).

I didn't have to call the Careline at all (I was going to give it another week - 5 weeks from sending it - and then start chasing them). I didn't get any email notifying me it was on the way, it was a VERY nice surprise.

So it looks like they've basically caught up the backlog for new renewals - or I was very lucky!

Rob

sammymummy Aug 17th 2011 1:00 am

You was just lucky, I'm having an extremely hard time with the passport office. I call last week Monday to the careline and they told me it's at the data entry section. I called today and it's at the same place. so after 4 esclations lathers to dc and at least 6 calls to the careline my passport has not bugged. I don't get it! Is there any way that my passport has progressed but careline informations hasn't been updated in their system yet? I dunno guess I'm just hanging onto hope.

Credit card charges 27h June and I was for a name change as well as. Lost/renewal passport. But I had my old passport number that I had written on the form.....

I wanted to know does anyone know if I could go to the passport office in dc and inquire about my passport and wait for it?

gecko1 Aug 17th 2011 1:08 am

Sounds like they are catching up. I decided to go ahead and renew my son's passport - at the time there was around 14 weeks to go til the trip to England (son has a US passport too, and I was earlier reassured on this forum that he could travel on that).

There was a slight delay because I forgot to authorise bank to allow them to take out the fee. The chap I spoke to on careline was quite friendly (I made an enquiry to make sure that they would try again).

It arrived with 7 weeks to go - therefore a 7 week turnaround :thumbup:

Janesatelier Aug 17th 2011 5:49 am

Another Newbie here.

Well, they've definitely sped up the money collection at least. My timeline, so far:

Passport Sent: Aug 6th
Received in DC: Aug 7th
CC Charged: Aug 13th

So fingers crossed it won't be such a long wait.......I'll let you know. :fingerscrossed:

sammymummy Aug 17th 2011 1:55 pm

Hellooooo.... Can anyone please answer or have a idea on my question.... Can I go to the passport office in dc and inquire about my passport and wait for it? Plus I've been calling the dc consulate and there is no answer. Has anyone ever got him on the phone?

BILDER Aug 17th 2011 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sammymummy (Post 9564659)
Hellooooo.... Can anyone please answer or have a idea on my question.... Can I go to the passport office in dc and inquire about my passport and wait for it? Plus I've been calling the dc consulate and there is no answer. Has anyone ever got him on the phone?

Called the Embassy you mean? Embassy in DC, consulates elsewhere! Call him whom? You can call the Embassy, but it is unlikely you will be able to talk to anyone.

sammymummy Aug 17th 2011 2:59 pm

[QUOTE=BILDER;9564722]Called the Embassy you mean? Embassy in DC, consulates elsewhere! Call him whom? You can call the Embassy, but it is unlikely you will be able to talk to

I've been calling my local consulate for an emergency passport which is the dc location. So if I can't get the consulate on the phone how am I ment to make an appointment for and ETD????? Can I just go to my local consulate passport office and be seen by some one or is a appointment needed for entry in the building?