British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

sachminu Jul 30th 2011 1:40 am

Re: Passport Delays

No email, no tracking. It just showed up.

OIG Jul 30th 2011 10:51 am

I have my passport

Application sent via USPS: June 1
Application received by DC: June 2
Credit card charged: July 11
Called Careline: July 22 (friday) - The only thing they can tell me is that it's been looked at. I need to travel in two weeks, suggest I call consular
Call consular :July 25 (monday) - new phone system, kept disconnecting
Call consular :July 26 (tuesday) - It's been looked at and no action has been taken. I need to travel in less than two weeks.... They will call Washington and get it expedited
Passport received via UPS: July 29 (friday) YAY!!!!

pbx Jul 30th 2011 11:49 am

eanne06 where do you live in USA or Canada. from the posts i have been reading the Washington office is taking care of people in the USA first :confused:

sachminu Jul 30th 2011 1:08 pm

Well, I live in the US and my old/expired passport was issued in the US too, I dont know if that makes a difference.

eanne06 Jul 30th 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by pbx (Post 9527736)
eanne06 where do you live in USA or Canada. from the posts i have been reading the Washington office is taking care of people in the USA first :confused:

I live in Florida. My app was sent in June 2 and I need to travel August 5. I think I would've had it by now, but they wanted my mother's dissolution of marriage certificate in addition to the docs I sent in. That added at least two weeks to my processing. Nowhere could I find the need for this document on the website. I guess what they request on their page is just a starter.

eanne06 Jul 31st 2011 2:35 am

I know this may seem like a silly questions, but will I have issues leaving the US on a new, first-time UK passport that hasn't been stamped and does not have a visa in it? Will US immigration want to see proof of my US citizenship or right to be in the US?

MadRad Jul 31st 2011 2:42 am

Wondering if anyone can help. My friend sent her UK passport and her teenage son's UK passport off to Washington for renewal a week ago. They're green card holders, if that makes any difference. They've now received news of serious family illness in the UK and need to travel home urgently. Is there anything they can do to speed up the process, or can they get emergency travel documents? Do they have to go to Washington to get them?

Thanks in advance.

JAJ Jul 31st 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9528617)
I know this may seem like a silly questions, but will I have issues leaving the US on a new, first-time UK passport that hasn't been stamped and does not have a visa in it? Will US immigration want to see proof of my US citizenship or right to be in the US?

There is no exit control in the United States. But if you are ever asked to show a passport by a US official (airline staff are not officials) then show a US passport.

JAJ Jul 31st 2011 2:56 am

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 9528622)
Wondering if anyone can help. My friend sent her UK passport and her teenage son's UK passport off to Washington for renewal a week ago. They're green card holders, if that makes any difference. They've now received news of serious family illness in the UK and need to travel home urgently. Is there anything they can do to speed up the process, or can they get emergency travel documents? Do they have to go to Washington to get them?

1. They can get emergency travel documents from a consulate, assuming these are passport renewals not first time applications:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

2. Perhaps reflect on getting US citizenship once eligible so they won't be so vulnerable to the same thing next time.

sachminu Jul 31st 2011 2:57 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9528617)

If you are leaving the US, then I dont think you will have to interact with immigration. At the airport check in counter, you will have to show your valid new UK passport. If your US visa is in the old passport, then you will need to show them that too, as they will remove your I-94 which should be with your US visa. I am not sure if they will ask proof of US citizenship.

eanne06 Jul 31st 2011 3:00 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9528632)
There is no exit control in the United States. But if you are ever asked to show a passport by a US official (airline staff are not officials) then show a US passport.

I won't have my US passport. I'll only have my brand-new UK one. My US passport is having a visa put on it for a job I am taking overseas. It won't be ready in time for me to go over there and start setting up my living situation. I have to represent myself as a US citizen during my time at this job, but I can enter the country and begin preliminary research on my UK passport. Once I get my US passport with the visa on it, I'll have to leave and re-enter the country on it.

lansbury Jul 31st 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9528636)
I won't have my US passport. I'll only have my brand-new UK one. My US passport is having a visa put on it for a job I am taking overseas. It won't be ready in time for me to go over there and start setting up my living situation. I have to represent myself as a US citizen during my time at this job, but I can enter the country and begin preliminary research on my UK passport. Once I get my US passport with the visa on it, I'll have to leave and re-enter the country on it.

Without a US passport how are you going to get back into the US. If you are a US citizen you are required by US law to leave and enter the US using a US passport. You will need to have your US passport sent to you before you travel back from wherever you are going.

eanne06 Jul 31st 2011 3:35 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9528640)
Without a US passport how are you going to get back into the US. If you are a US citizen you are required by US law to leave and enter the US using a US passport. You will need to have your US passport sent to you before you travel back from wherever you are going.

Getting back in is not going to be an issue. I will have my US passport before I come back to the US. I just won't have it on me when I leave. I was planning on leaving on my UK passport, because that one will be available to me before my US passport will. I do have an old expired US passport but I don't know if that will do any good or if it's even necessary to exit.

lansbury Jul 31st 2011 4:02 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9528650)
Getting back in is not going to be an issue. I will have my US passport before I come back to the US. I just won't have it on me when I leave. I was planning on leaving on my UK passport, because that one will be available to me before my US passport will. I do have an old expired US passport but I don't know if that will do any good or if it's even necessary to exit.

You shouldn't have a problem leaving. Most times I've flown out on United and given them my UK passport that have looked for the I-94, and when they couldn't find it asked if I was a resident alien. I've just said no I am dual US/UK national. End of discussion.

eanne06 Aug 1st 2011 8:02 pm

PASSPORT IS IN HAND!! I got it this morning from UPS! First-time applicant!

June 2-App received in DC
June 8-1st Call to Careline, 3 more calls since then.
June 26-Visit to DC Passport Office to file a complaint and ask for application to be given priority
July 6-Another call to Careline
July 9-Call to British Consulate in Orlando, FL. Established a twitter account to demand answers from officials on twitter.
July 13-Sent in complaint letter.
July 15- Call from DC office requesting further proof of citizenship
July 29- Requested proof of citizenship received in DC
August 1- NEW, FIRST-TIME PASSPORT IN HAND! ALMOST 8 WEEKS TO THE DAY!

My advice, do not let them forget about you! Good luck to everyone! And thank you all for your help and support during this grueling process.