Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Smudge710
Hi guys, newbie here. I was directed here after contacting someone from your site.

So here's my story;

I am out here working at a summer camp, however last week I had my passport and working visa (J-1) stolen. I have spoken to the British Consulate in Chicago and due to my time of leaving the US (Aug 19th to Canada, then again Aug 24th New York - London) I have been told an Emergency Travel Document is my way forward.

That's fine by me, however the woman we spoke to at the embassy said that some countries don't like you re-entering their country on an ETD, has any one had experience of leaving the US then re-entering on an ETD before?

This is my plan if it helps;

Detroit - Canada (Niagara falls) (Car)
Canada (Niagara falls) - Buffalo (Car)
Buffalo - NYC (Plane)
NYC - London (Plane)

So my re-entry point is Buffalo obviously, any help is greatly appreciated.

While I'm here I may as well also ask, how does an ETD work? I know you have to go in person and take 2 passport photos, but thats all I know.

Will I HAVE to get a new visa printed? Or will the ETD cover entry to the US?

Someone also said that the hardest part to replace was the little white card that they put in your passport saying your entry date, is this true? Will I even need one with an ETD?

Thanks again.

Mike/Smudge
I think you may be best to post questions about your US Visa in the US Visa forum. The people who post in there generally have more experience with US visas than most of the people in this forum.

Originally Posted by aml1982
I can't say anything about ETDs with complete certainty because I have never had one, but I have had experience crossing the border at both the Peace Bridge and Rainbow Bridge from Canada into the US. One of the primary concerns of the border agents when dealing with people who aren't going to be working in the USA has always been (in my experience) proof that you are going to be leaving.

I would guess given that you are re-entering the US and you fly back to the UK almost immediately afterwards that this final part of your stay in North America is a vacation? In which case your visa should not be essential for re-entry. If you have a valid travel document (with the ETD is) and proof of your flight booking back to the UK, then I wouldn't envisage any problems - you could enter the US on the visa-waiver program and finish your trip.

However, I will repeat the disclaimer that I haven't personally travelled on an ETD so I cannot be 100% sure how the border folk would react to one.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading in the US Immigration Forum a week or so ago that you cannot use the VWP is you have a US visa.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading in the US Immigration Forum a week or so ago that you cannot use the VWP is you have a US visa.
That makes sense. So it would come down to getting replacement visa documentation.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You would only run into trouble if you were moving back there and didn't have a valid British passport.
Even an expired UK passport is proof of UK citizenship. I doubt she'd have any real trouble.

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense. So it would come down to getting replacement visa documentation.
Making sense doesn't always come into it as far as US Immigration is concerned. As I posted previously...I think it would be best if you ask the people in the US Imm forum.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can choose to enter on the visa, or the VWP, if you're eligible for it. It's entering on the IR jobby to activate the visa that you can't chose to use the VWP for, according to a post on this question last summer.

As for using the EDT to enter the US, depends on POE officer.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Making sense doesn't always come into it as far as US Immigration is concerned. As I posted previously...I think it would be best if you ask the people in the US Imm forum.
Wasn't my question, I was just responding to the asker.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
You can choose to enter on the visa, or the VWP, if you're eligible for it. It's entering on the IR jobby to activate the visa that you can't chose to use the VWP for, according to a post on this question last summer.

As for using the EDT to enter the US, depends on POE officer.
OK thanks for clarifying Bob.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Zinfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by celine_uk
I wish i had read this thread earlier, i've been a Canadian citizsen for a few years now and hold both CDN and UK passport, my UK passport expired in May, i know people must have asked this a 100 times but can i enter the UK using my CDN passport ??? ( i have a return ticket back to Canada)...

After reading this thread i think i am going to book an appointment at a UK passport office and get my passport while im in the UK on holiday!
Should be no problem, but maybe call a travel agent to confirm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zinfan
Should be no problem, but maybe call a travel agent to confirm.
Travel agent might not know the answer....but as this has been answered already, numerous times...the quick answer is "yes, it can be done"

The UK doesn't require UKC's to enter the UK on their UK passport, unlike the US for instance. You just need to use a passport that is fit for the purpose of the trip, so from a country not needing a visa, that country passport would be more than enough.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Magicmickey is an unknown quantity at this point

So here is my up date, called Careline this evening and it would seem my pestering has paid off and the fact that i am travelling in 2 days!!!!! They told me my passports had been completed and printed and gave me a tracking number which I looked up and they are supposed to arrive on Monday I of course won't be relieved until they are in my nervous, sweaty little hands, talk about cutting it fine, my flight being an early morning one this Wednesday!!!
I also emailed my local MP at home, one to see if they could offer help with my predicament but also in an attempt to get the information out at home, as apart from an article in the Telegraph.co.uk in June there pretty much has been nothing else in the media about our situation. I know that many of you have also contacted your local MP's, Number 10 and relatives in the UK amongst other things in an effort to disseminate this information and good on you. Hopefully someone will get the message and help to sort out this mess for those still caught in the middle of it all.
This site has been the only way most of us have not felt alone in this ordeal,
so thank goodness for all of us and this web site. For those of you still waiting for passports I hope that they come through soon. To all of you who offered advice I thank you. Will let you know if they do indeed arrive in the nick of time.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

eanne06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone sent in an application with missing paperwork/incorrect supporting documents? I did not send in my mother's dissolution of marriage certificate (the marriage before hers and my father's). They said they needed to prove that my parents' marriage certificate was legal. I have obtained the diss. of marriage cert. and I'm sending it off tomorrow, but I just wanted to know how long it usually takes once they receive it.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

robbytnyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robbytnyc
Hi All,
Thanks for the great info posted on here. It's been very helpful.

Can anyone comment on the following scenario?
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.

So, my application was delivered on 6/30 by USPS but made it to whomever in the British Passport office in Washington that accepts packages and stamped on 7/18. Is the clock ticking as of 6/30 or 7/18? Anyone know?

Thanks!
- Rob

Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.
- Credit Card was charged on 7/20

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:05 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=robbytnyc;9517562]Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:
- Credit Card was charged on 7/20

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.[/QUO

It was 3 weeks from when they received my husbnads passport as well until they charged the card. Unfortunately it was 11 weeks after that when we actually received his passport! Luckily we had no travel plans. I never spoke to Careline. I hope everyone gets their passports soon!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Magicmickey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooray, passports arrived this morning via UPS, 13 weeks from start to finish, 4 frantic calls to Careline, one email to Nicola Blackwood MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, lots of gnashing of teeth and the last 3 nights of little sleep worrying whether they would arrive in time!!!!!!! A big thank you to Sharon and Peter at Careline who sent the Washington office emails on my case. thank you to the "red team" at the passport office for getting the job done in time for me to take the grand kids home to see Granny and Grandad and their new cousin.
MrsEars hope your passport did arrive, I know you were due to travel about the same time as me.
To all of those waiting hope you get your passports soon, keep calling Careline, a stressful process but worth it in the end. Now just have to pack!!!!!!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

geordie80815 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all advice ....finally got my passport sent 4th April ....recieved 19th July Hope everyone else gets sorted..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.