British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

JAJ Jul 10th 2011 4:14 am

Re: Passport Delays

Usually, people from third world nations are the ones who have to pay really close attention to their passports as they are difficult or impossible to replace, especially from an embassy. It seems that the British Embassy in Washington isn't doing much better.

BellaE Jul 10th 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9485841)
Actually on another call I was told they'd only call back if there was some issue with the application

I was also told that I would be called back or e-mailed only if there was a problem. Wasn't told about the "R" on the case number, but there is an "r" on the end of mine...

sueffun Jul 10th 2011 7:44 pm

I just found a page on facebook called UK in South Africa from the British Consulate in Pretoria. They have a site for other countries as well, so I'm sure there is a UK in the United States.

I sent them a message on that and will continue to bombard them until they give in and get my Mums passport back to her. Maybe all of the people on this site should do the same , then maybe they will get their act together. I will keep you up to date as to whether they just ignore my message or I get a reply :)

Bob Jul 10th 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GBGIRAFFE (Post 9485581)
Thanks for the reply, Bob. I have no idea what "donkeyed stuck threads up top at the root of this forum" means! I followed the link you gave me, and it led me back to this exact thread. Sue's link led me to the Passsport Office page that tells me how to apply for an ETD. I'm sorry I haven't explained myself properly. I'm looking for someone who has actually been to the Consulate to get an ETD to let me know how it went and if they got the ETD without much trouble or explanations. Is it an Emergency (in the Consulate's eyes) if I have a vacation booked and have no passport?

Not to hold your hand....but you found this thread presumably by googling it. Go up one, to the root of this forum. You'll see 4 threads with, in bright red that say "Read Me"...read them.

The info you want is in two of them.

Also in this thread hundreds of times, if you search it.

You'll quickly find "emergency" is what you think a emergency is, so yes, you can apply for ETD for a holiday.

aml1982 Jul 11th 2011 2:58 pm

Update! Just received a call from DC (basically 6 working hours for them since I put in the call to the careline on Friday). They took the details of his application's arrival in DC (date/tracking no.) and assured me there should be no issues getting his PP done before we travel in August. Hooray!

Shazban Jul 11th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9488503)
Update! Just received a call from DC (basically 6 working hours for them since I put in the call to the careline on Friday). They took the details of his application's arrival in DC (date/tracking no.) and assured me there should be no issues getting his PP done before we travel in August. Hooray!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations!! So now you can get your life back in order. Hoping I get to hear from them soon!!

aml1982 Jul 11th 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9488550)
That's awesome!!! Congratulations!! So now you can get your life back in order. Hoping I get to hear from them soon!!

I know - I'm far less stressed already. I just checked my online banking (more out of hope than anything) and they took the payment already. Weight off my mind!

The lady I spoke to did say to me that I wouldn't hear from them again unless there was some sort of problem, so I guess I just sit and wait now (although I've already decided that if I don't hear anything by 3rd August (3 weeks before travel) I'll give them a bell and ask for an update.

I know you're still waiting for a phonecall, but it seems to me that the person on the careline was probably feeding you some false info there. The impression I got from the lady in DC was that unless their is a problem with the application they won't contact you, they'll just get on with processing it.

Shazban Jul 11th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9488558)
I know - I'm far less stressed already. I just checked my online banking (more out of hope than anything) and they took the payment already. Weight off my mind!

The lady I spoke to did say to me that I wouldn't hear from them again unless there was some sort of problem, so I guess I just sit and wait now (although I've already decided that if I don't hear anything by 3rd August (3 weeks before travel) I'll give them a bell and ask for an update.

I know you're still waiting for a phonecall, but it seems to me that the person on the careline was probably feeding you some false info there. The impression I got from the lady in DC was that unless their is a problem with the application they won't contact you, they'll just get on with processing it.

The phone call thing would make sense. Why waste precious time calling people to reassure them when they could be getting on with it? But you know when you're desperate you hang on to every word being fed to you. We have less than 5 more weeks before our flights. Surely they won't disappoint me.....will they? LOL

aml1982 Jul 11th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9488567)
The phone call thing would make sense. Why waste precious time calling people to reassure them when they could be getting on with it? But you know when you're desperate you hang on to every word being fed to you. We have less than 5 more weeks before our flights. Surely they won't disappoint me.....will they? LOL

They shouldn't disappoint you. The woman I spoke to suggested that what the careline people say is true - if your case is urgent, it can and will be escalated. Since our situations are so similar, if they are saying that my son's case counts as urgent, then your case is, too.

That said, there is nothing to say that they won't deliver the passports on the day of travel. You know, just to keep us hanging on and sweating about it :)

Shazban Jul 11th 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9488574)
They shouldn't disappoint you. The woman I spoke to suggested that what the careline people say is true - if your case is urgent, it can and will be escalated. Since our situations are so similar, if they are saying that my son's case counts as urgent, then your case is, too.

That said, there is nothing to say that they won't deliver the passports on the day of travel. You know, just to keep us hanging on and sweating about it :)

well thank goodness my flight is at 10:30PM so if UPS does deliver that day they'll have up until 6:00pm. if that happens, I doubt i'll make the flight because I'll have stroked out by that point. Imagine the headlines the next day? Wouldn't be a good look for the passport office for sure! LMAO

nsbarker Jul 11th 2011 4:33 pm

First time passport applicant here (British by descent), received my passport today. :thumbsup:

April 26th application arrived in DC
May 27th Debit card charged
July 11th PP recieved.

I wasn't expecting it until August so this was quite a surprise. :eek:

BellaE Jul 11th 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsbarker (Post 9488683)
First time passport applicant here (British by descent), received my passport today. :thumbsup:

July 11th PP recieved.

Yo didn't spend your children's inheritance on calls to the Careline? And this was a first-time app? Wow! maybe there is hope. Congratulations!:thumbsup:

sachminu Jul 11th 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by nsbarker (Post 9488683)

July 11th PP recieved.

Did you call Careline? or send a letter /email to anyone. Or did you receive the passport without taking any follow up measures?

nsbarker Jul 11th 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9488691)
Yo didn't spend your children's inheritance on calls to the Careline? And this was a first-time app? Wow! maybe there is hope. Congratulations!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

I wasn't up against a deadline like many of the other forumers so I was fortunate in that respect. :)

vanfan1 Jul 11th 2011 7:55 pm

I haven't called Careline yet today. The consulate seems to have a new phone system set up though. Called the consulate in Vancouver, follwed and pressed a bunch of nos, waited on hold for 1 min and got through to the IPS office Washington. Took down my details and someone will appprently be calling me back about speeding up my passport (fingerscrossed :fingerscrossed: ). The call didn't cost anything either so its worth a try for those with no luck from careline to call your consulate and see. I'm sure this system is new as the last time I called I just left a viocemail.