British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

BellaE Jul 6th 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Someone may have mentioned this previously (I haven't read every single post in this thread!)
This is on their "timing" page:
"16 June 2011 - Please note that the Washington Regional Passport Processing Centre is experiencing a significant increase in demand for passports which may affect the processing time for applications. Your passport application could take up to ten weeks. We have put in additional staff resources to reduce processing
I note they are not saying ten weeks from processing of the payment, but I presume that is what they mean.
In addition, they say "Please do not contact us before the expected delivery time as detailed above. We will not be able to give further information and you may be charged for this call."
So does that mean don't call until after ten weeks have elapsed? And which ten weeks? And may be charged?Ha! Has anyone not been charged?

midmod Jul 6th 2011 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9479400)
I love the new video on the ukinusa wesbite. It totally justifies their incompetence.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/

The video says "sometime mid 2011" so are our documents in Washington DC or the UK?

BellaE Jul 7th 2011 1:59 am

Well, I just called the CareLine 900 number (only! 13 minutes = $32.50, not bad I guess), and spoke to a very pleasant woman who painstakingly took all of my information, making me repeat everything twice. She then said that even though payment was taken on June 3rd (which of course, I already knew), my passport is "nowhere near ready." She repeated the "high volume" story as well.
Apparently she is sending an e-mail, which she claims will result in the passport coming in a few days....
If that is really true, and they are expediting passports for people who are complaining, then they are actually making it worse for everyone else, as finding and re-prioritising passports takes people way from actually processing them. But if they expedite mine, I selfishly don't mind!

BellaE Jul 7th 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9479861)
The video says "sometime mid 2011" so are our documents in Washington DC or the UK?

I am under the impression that they haven't transferred the processing to the UK yet. But I am certainly not the person with all the info!:rolleyes:

midmod Jul 7th 2011 2:51 am

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9480091)
Well, I just called the CareLine 900 number (only! 13 minutes = $32.50, not bad I guess), and spoke to a very pleasant woman who painstakingly took all of my information, making me repeat everything twice. She then said that even though payment was taken on June 3rd (which of course, I already knew), my passport is "nowhere near ready." She repeated the "high volume" story as well.
Apparently she is sending an e-mail, which she claims will result in the passport coming in a few days....
If that is really true, and they are expediting passports for people who are complaining, then they are actually making it worse for everyone else, as finding and re-prioritising passports takes people way from actually processing them. But if they expedite mine, I selfishly don't mind!

Can you let us know if your passport arrives soon. Although it's "nowhere near ready" it may prove that it's the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

penguinbar Jul 7th 2011 3:42 am

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9479645)
Someone may have mentioned this previously (I haven't read every single post in this thread!)
This is on their "timing" page:
"16 June 2011 - Please note that the Washington Regional Passport Processing Centre is experiencing a significant increase in demand for passports which may affect the processing time for applications. Your passport application could take up to ten weeks. We have put in additional staff resources to reduce processing
I note they are not saying ten weeks from processing of the payment, but I presume that is what they mean.
In addition, they say "Please do not contact us before the expected delivery time as detailed above. We will not be able to give further information and you may be charged for this call."
So does that mean don't call until after ten weeks have elapsed? And which ten weeks? And may be charged?Ha! Has anyone not been charged?

My husbands passport was received nearly 11 weeks after our credit card was charged so I would go by 10 weeks after payment is processed.

aml1982 Jul 7th 2011 1:20 pm

Now 4 weeks since my little one's application arrived in DC, and only 7 weeks until we travel. Payment has yet to be taken, and I've been given the brush off by the careline when I've called. Really hacked off. What makes it worse is I feel like this whole thing has been consuming my life for the last month. While I should be enjoying my last couple of months in Canada (and the currently beautiful weather in Ontario), I'm spending half my time thinking or worrying about my son's passport (or lack thereof).

Shazban Jul 7th 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9481054)
Now 4 weeks since my little one's application arrived in DC, and only 7 weeks until we travel. Payment has yet to be taken, and I've been given the brush off by the careline when I've called. Really hacked off. What makes it worse is I feel like this whole thing has been consuming my life for the last month. While I should be enjoying my last couple of months in Canada (and the currently beautiful weather in Ontario), I'm spending half my time thinking or worrying about my son's passport (or lack thereof).

I know. I'm in the same boat. We only have 5 more weeks left here and every time I watch the UPS truck drive by my house without stopping my heart sinks a little bit further. Don't give up yet, keep calling Careline (as much as your pocket will allow), until you get hold of someone useful and willing to do something for you. Think positive!

sueffun Jul 7th 2011 2:51 pm

Just a thought, but how do you call careline if you don't have a credit card. Not everyone buys on credit and my Mum who is 87 does not have a credit card and its her war veterans passport that we need, getting on for 18 weeks. What do you do then to find out about your passport, any ideas would be welcome.

Shazban Jul 7th 2011 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by sueffun (Post 9481245)
Just a thought, but how do you call careline if you don't have a credit card. Not everyone buys on credit and my Mum who is 87 does not have a credit card and its her war veterans passport that we need, getting on for 18 weeks. What do you do then to find out about your passport, any ideas would be welcome.

I used a debit card to call Careline since I too have no credit cards either.

aml1982 Jul 7th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9481262)
I used a debit card to call Careline since I too have no credit cards either.

The problem for folks in Canada (don't know if it is the same in the USA) is that a lot of debit cards are simply issued and managed by the banks - they are not VISA cards like the majority of plastic given out by the high street banks in Britain. Since our credit card was stolen and had to be cancelled (another reason I've been trying to get in contact with anyone who can help, since that's the card they are supposed to use if and when they try to take the payment), I've been using my UK debit card to call - if I didn't have that, I would currently have no way whatsoever of contacting the helpline until the new CC arrived. There must be plenty of people out there who don't have VISAs or MasterCards, and who are currently in complete limbo.

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2011 4:12 pm

My daughter sent her UK PP to DC for renewal 5 weeks ago. The charge was deducted from her CC account today. It will be interesting to see how long the process takes...fortunately she's not in desperate need of it back.

BellaE Jul 7th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9481394)
The problem for folks in Canada (don't know if it is the same in the USA) is that a lot of debit cards are simply issued and managed by the banks - they are not VISA cards like the majority of plastic given out by the high street banks in Britain. Since our credit card was stolen and had to be cancelled (another reason I've been trying to get in contact with anyone who can help, since that's the card they are supposed to use if and when they try to take the payment), I've been using my UK debit card to call - if I didn't have that, I would currently have no way whatsoever of contacting the helpline until the new CC arrived. There must be plenty of people out there who don't have VISAs or MasterCards, and who are currently in complete limbo.

In Canada are you able to buy a Visa or Mastercard gift card --perhaps you could use that?

aml1982 Jul 7th 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9481499)
In Canada are you able to buy a Visa or Mastercard gift card --perhaps you could use that?

I'm pretty certain prepaid cards aren't accepted, although not entirely sure. Like I said, from my POV, we're ok right now because of our UK debit cards, but there must be people out there who aren't so lucky.

sueffun Jul 7th 2011 6:15 pm

I live in South Africa, the War Veterans passport is free for my Mum or anyone born before 1929. You email for the form which is the standard one if you live in the UK, which was very confusing as it asks for your address, I then sent it to the consulate in Pretoria and they send it to the UK for processing, thats why it takes 12 weeks, but so far its taken nearly 18 weeks. My Mum is getting really anxious about it and without cards of any type we cannot get information.
Obviously when they devised this system they didn't think it through and I guess never had an elderly parent who needs a new passport from overseas. They really suck!!