British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

SuzyPhillips Jun 28th 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Hi, I'm new and I only found this site after a quick panicked google today.
My timeline:
simple adult renewal sent from Vancouver BC to Washington, rec'd in Washington May 25th. Credit card processed June 27th. After a quick e-mail sent last week wondering what was going on I get a general "do not reply' type e-mail today stating that it could be up to 10 weeks now??? I'm gutted, absolutely gutted. Plans to travel at the end of August to the States with my two children for a family reunion. One is my 5 month old baby. Any ideas what I can do? Good luck to everybody else.

lyonsden1193 Jun 28th 2011 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyPhillips (Post 9463390)
Hi, I'm new and I only found this site after a quick panicked google today.
My timeline:
simple adult renewal sent from Vancouver BC to Washington, rec'd in Washington May 25th. Credit card processed June 27th. After a quick e-mail sent last week wondering what was going on I get a general "do not reply' type e-mail today stating that it could be up to 10 weeks now??? I'm gutted, absolutely gutted. Plans to travel at the end of August to the States with my two children for a family reunion. One is my 5 month old baby. Any ideas what I can do? Good luck to everybody else.

see post # 1619

SuzyPhillips Jun 28th 2011 9:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure about an emergency travel document as this is only for a holiday. I thought I had left enough time to get this passport thing done. I have called the consulate in Vancouver but can't get through to a human! Will have to fax and be the squeaky wheel I suppose. Fingers crossed...

lyonsden1193 Jun 28th 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyPhillips (Post 9463400)
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure about an emergency travel document as this is only for a holiday. I thought I had left enough time to get this passport thing done. I have called the consulate in Vancouver but can't get through to a human! Will have to fax and be the squeaky wheel I suppose. Fingers crossed...

look for stuff posted by LP9 he is already squeaking that wheel.

If you look all through this thread there is a lot of good advice.

(warning keep a bottle of happy pills with you when you look):)

good luck.

SuzyPhillips Jun 28th 2011 9:49 pm

Any tips for how to get through to careline? I have tried all day and it's permanently busy. The 1.900 number just gets me an error message.

Better stock up on gin, this is going to be stressful :(

muffin4u4 Jun 28th 2011 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyPhillips (Post 9463442)

Any tips for how to get through to careline? I have tried all day and it's permanently busy. The 1.900 number just gets me an error message.

Better stock up on gin, this is going to be stressful :(

I called the number 3 times last night between 6pm PST and 9pm. (I was freaking out just a little bit). When I called first around 6pm I was on hold for about 15mins but by the time I called at 9pm they answered it right away and I spoke with the same woman 3 times :)

ian-mstm Jun 28th 2011 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyPhillips (Post 9463400)
I'm not sure about an emergency travel document as this is only for a holiday.

The British Consul has confirmed that it is you, and no one else, who decides whether an ETD is appropriate. A holiday is as good a reason for an ETD as a dying relative!

Ian

Bob Jun 28th 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by muffin4u4 (Post 9461429)

I plan to go to my local British consulate (SF) on Fri to see if there is anything they can do.

Unless you have an appointment, I wouldn't bother as they won't see you.

Bob Jun 28th 2011 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by brax (Post 9461543)
If true this is beyond belief. I applied to renew my son's US passport two weeks ago. It took ten days to arrive after we dropped off the application at the post office. Ten days vs ten weeks. This is surreal.

Big difference being the US passport being done within the country...and it's not like they aren't prone to it taking ages too. BIL's US passport renewal look over 10 weeks last year.

Shit happens. It's shit when it does.

Shazban Jun 28th 2011 11:38 pm

At this point I just want my supporting documents back. At least that way we'll still be able to travel august 12th as planned. Wondering if they'll let me pick them up in Washington?

SuzyPhillips Jun 29th 2011 12:42 am

I hope you get your documents back shazban...

I faxed the British consulate in Vancouver and got an e-mail reply within hours. She suggested I call Careline (can`t get through!!!!) and said also that the ten week wait was not necessarily on top of the 5 weeks my passport has already been languishing in Washington. (Which is weird- because 10 weeks from date of transaction means 10 weeks from now to me) However, at least I have had a reply. Going to just keep plugging away at it and will keep hoping..... Good luck everybody else.

Terra Nivium Jun 29th 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by lou6 (Post 9463041)
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and only found it whilst looking for some information on British Passport delays. This situation is unbelievable and I am so frustrated. The first thing I think of when I wake is "I wonder if my passports will come today", sad isn't it. My timeline is as follows:

Passports applications received: May 5th
Payment taken out: June 24th (they did call me Mon 20 and 22 to advise c/c had not worked). Apparently pre-paid c/c's don't work but does work when you call careline? Sent in money order express post.

I asked the man how long would it take from now and he told me 6-8 weeks. Can you believe it? It has already been 7 weeks!! He gave me a reference number so at least I have that to quote.

Sent an email to the British High Commission in Ottawa yesterday, waiting for a reply. Wanted to fly to the UK on June 16th for nephew's birthday's, sadly that day came and went. I am not going to sit back and wait quietly, I think I will bombard Washington with letters and continue to try and get a response from the High Commission. I have called Careline three times, and they are unhelpful. However, I will try all options.

I read someone's post about sending some of the applications back to the UK, what a great idea. My sister sent off for a new passport for her baby and she got it back in 10 days.

Would like to hear if anyone else who sent their applications in at the beginning of May have been successful and received their passports yet?

We are having the same problems. We live in Nova Scotia and sent the renewal early May and it looks like we'd be lucky to see the passports this side of September. I find the situation a total joke and want to cancel as I'd rather wait for my Canadian citizenship but to rub salt in the wound they have already take $590 from my credit card. I am embarrassed to call myself a British Citizen!

AndyMilne Jun 29th 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by AndyMilne (Post 9439761)
Here's my timeline so far:

My flight to the UK leaves on the 29th June, and I sent my application for to renew my passport on May 3rd. I sent it with tracking and with return receipt. The tracking said they received it May 5th I believe, but I got the return receipt in June with a 1st June date stamp on it.

They charged my credit card on the 9th.

I wish they had a link to this form from the US passport renewal website, or that they would update the website with real time estimates for passport applications.

:(

Here's the update:
I got an emergency passport yesterday (27 June). Cost $157 and I had to show up in person at the consulate (went to the one in Los Angeles). Took just over an hour. They required:
1. printout of my flight information.
2. My green card
3. 2 photos - which they returned to me! (they scan the photo) $8 at CVS.
4. $157

So, I get to fly tomorrow - just in time for the UK Border agency strike:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../june/45strike

Oh, the joy of visiting the homeland.

Still no news on the passport renewal.

Hotscot Jun 29th 2011 2:36 am

But Andy

How are you getting back without your passport?

mshedden Jun 29th 2011 2:50 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9463815)
But Andy

How are you getting back without your passport?

He has a passport - an ETD is a limited duration UK passport essentially. It is good for one trip of up to 5 stops. That plus his green card is good for a return trip to the UK. The consulate verified his itinerary before they gave him the ETD.

My wife is currently in the UK with the same documents - ETD plus Green Card.