British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

lcfcdan Jun 28th 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by fine1 (Post 9463027)
I suggest you send it off to the UK, you will probably get it back before those of us that submitted renewals in April to DC

Sorry, to clarify, I am in the US.

lcfcdan Jun 28th 2011 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9463024)
Your GC will get you back into the US.

Much obliged. Thanks for the help.

So I could, potentially, receive an emergency travel doc to get out and back in to the US.

Any advice on the consul v submittal question.

Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate it.

lou6 Jun 28th 2011 6:29 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and only found it whilst looking for some information on British Passport delays. This situation is unbelievable and I am so frustrated. The first thing I think of when I wake is "I wonder if my passports will come today", sad isn't it. My timeline is as follows:

Passports applications received: May 5th
Payment taken out: June 24th (they did call me Mon 20 and 22 to advise c/c had not worked). Apparently pre-paid c/c's don't work but does work when you call careline? Sent in money order express post.

I asked the man how long would it take from now and he told me 6-8 weeks. Can you believe it? It has already been 7 weeks!! He gave me a reference number so at least I have that to quote.

Sent an email to the British High Commission in Ottawa yesterday, waiting for a reply. Wanted to fly to the UK on June 16th for nephew's birthday's, sadly that day came and went. I am not going to sit back and wait quietly, I think I will bombard Washington with letters and continue to try and get a response from the High Commission. I have called Careline three times, and they are unhelpful. However, I will try all options.

I read someone's post about sending some of the applications back to the UK, what a great idea. My sister sent off for a new passport for her baby and she got it back in 10 days.

Would like to hear if anyone else who sent their applications in at the beginning of May have been successful and received their passports yet?

fine1 Jun 28th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by lou6 (Post 9463041)
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and only found it whilst looking for some information on British Passport delays. This situation is unbelievable and I am so frustrated. The first thing I think of when I wake is "I wonder if my passports will come today", sad isn't it. My timeline is as follows:

Passports applications received: May 5th
Payment taken out: June 24th (they did call me Mon 20 and 22 to advise c/c had not worked). Apparently pre-paid c/c's don't work but does work when you call careline? Sent in money order express post.

I asked the man how long would it take from now and he told me 6-8 weeks. Can you believe it? It has already been 7 weeks!! He gave me a reference number so at least I have that to quote.

Sent an email to the British High Commission in Ottawa yesterday, waiting for a reply. Wanted to fly to the UK on June 16th for nephew's birthday's, sadly that day came and went. I am not going to sit back and wait quietly, I think I will bombard Washington with letters and continue to try and get a response from the High Commission. I have called Careline three times, and they are unhelpful. However, I will try all options.

I read someone's post about sending some of the applications back to the UK, what a great idea. My sister sent off for a new passport for her baby and she got it back in 10 days.

Would like to hear if anyone else who sent their applications in at the beginning of May have been successful and received their passports yet?

I sent my daughters off for renewal on April 26th, cc taken on May 27th. No sign of passport. We have to get and ETD so we can leave on Friday

Eilowny Jun 28th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by muffin4u4 (Post 9461429)
I am new to this forum and found it only after searching online for answers as to why my passport is taking so long to arrive.

I am changing my name on my passport and my passport was still valid (renewed in 2009). I sent in my passport along with my original marriage license and birth certificate.

May 7th: mailed application
May 9th: application arrived
June 13th: Credit card was charged.

So I have been watching for the mail waiting for delivery of my new passport. Only today after it had been 14 days since my CC charge did I get online to check the website........and see the message that they could take 10 weeks after the CC is charged!!!!!. My travel date to the UK is July 20th.

I called the Careline 3 times tonight as I was freaking out!!!! The very ncie lady sent an e-mail to the passport dept with all the details incuding my travel dates.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else I can do???? I am hopeful that since I am changing my name and its not a 1st time passport that it may not take too long.......plus they claim to have increased the staff in the PP dept.

I plan to go to my local British consulate (SF) on Fri to see if there is anything they can do.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I was changing my name too due to marriage, my passport was the same as yours only issued last year but it still took 11 weeks to get it. :(

lou6 Jun 28th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by fine1 (Post 9463070)
I sent my daughters off for renewal on April 26th, cc taken on May 27th. No sign of passport. We have to get and ETD so we can leave on Friday

How much did it cost for the ETD's?

Hotscot Jun 28th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by lcfcdan
So you are saying the ETD can get me to the UK, but not necessarily back to the states?

I am a green card holder if that helps.

Again, I'm sorry if I am asking you all to retread well worn topics, I hope you understand my nerves here!

True, but I don't think the airline will let you fly to the US from the UK unless you have a valid passport.
Can anyone confirm please?

Katherineuk Jun 28th 2011 8:10 pm

Just as an update for everyone. I just needed to renew my passport. My old one expires in July this year. The only change was my name to my married one, for which I sent in the original marriage certificate. Shouldn't be difficult!

Application received April 27th
CC charged May 27th
Still no passport!

Called the careline last night the guy was not very helpful and told me that I was still within the 10 week processing time following the cc being charged. He actually told me not to call again until August 5th!

lansbury Jun 28th 2011 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9463258)

Again, I'm sorry if I am asking you all to retread well worn topics, I hope you understand my nerves here!

True, but I don't think the airline will let you fly to the US from the UK unless you have a valid passport.

If you are a GC holder you are not traveling using the visa waiver program. The US doesn't apparently accept the ETD when traveling under the VWP. I say apparently because that is what I have read in this thread hence the accuracy of that statement may need to be checked.

mshedden Jun 28th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9463258)

Originally Posted by lcfcdan
So you are saying the ETD can get me to the UK, but not necessarily back to the states?

If you have a GC and an ETD, you can go from the US to the UK and back. An ETD is a 'valid passport'. In fact, and ETD looks just like a passport, only off white in colour and it expires the day you get back.

katiemoon Jun 28th 2011 8:51 pm

This is part of the email I received from the vancouver consulate regarding ETDs:

I also explained that entry into the US will be at the discretion of the US Immigration Officer. Please see the information below, paying particular attention to the first two paragraphs which immediately follow the bold heading of TRAVEL SUMMARY.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../united-states

unitedjam83 Jun 28th 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9463335)
This is part of the email I received from the vancouver consulate:

I also explained that entry into the US will be at the discretion of the US Immigration Officer. Please see the information below, paying particular attention to the first two paragraphs which immediately follow the bold heading of TRAVEL SUMMARY.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../united-states

Just called the CBP Call Center.

I was told that ETD are accepted only when travelling into the US by land.
When travelling by air you have to register on the ESTA with a valid passport number. This is not necessary when travelling by land as you fill out the paperwork at the border.

Hope this helps.

lansbury Jun 28th 2011 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9463335)

entry into the US will be at the discretion of the US Immigration Officer.

Unless you are a US citizen or a LPR entry is always at the discretion of the immigration officer.

lansbury Jun 28th 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by unitedjam83 (Post 9463343)
Just called the CBP Call Center.

I was told that ETD are accepted only when travelling into the US by land.
When travelling by air you have to register on the ESTA with a valid passport number. This is not necessary when travelling by land as you fill out the paperwork at the border.

Hope this helps.

I take it you mean traveling from Canada using the VWP. If so please make it clear otherwise people reading your post at a later date may well be confused.

fine1 Jun 28th 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lou6 (Post 9463139)
How much did it cost for the ETD's?

haven't got it yet, but I think it costs $157