British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Jerseygirl Jun 28th 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Yes well done LP9 and Sue. :thumbsup:

eanne06 Jun 28th 2011 4:36 pm

I've already made the trip to DC once, but I am considering making another. They told me in person that I would get a call the afternoon I went to the embassy. That was last Friday and I have not heard anything since. They would not give a number to call to check on my case, but assured me that some one would contact me. Any one considering rallying another visit? I'm in the Southeast (Florida) and would consider carpooling with others.

LP9 Jun 28th 2011 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9462658)
I've already made the trip to DC once, but I am considering making another. They told me in person that I would get a call the afternoon I went to the embassy. That was last Friday and I have not heard anything since. They would not give a number to call to check on my case, but assured me that some one would contact me. Any one considering rallying another visit? I'm in the Southeast (Florida) and would consider carpooling with others.

A week ago I would have bitten your hand off to take that offer.

This is a good opportunity for anyone along the I-95 corridor.

penguinbar Jun 28th 2011 4:50 pm

Excellent article! :thumbup:

Simosa88 Jun 28th 2011 5:47 pm

Beautiful Article!

katiemoon Jun 28th 2011 6:31 pm

I just got an email from the Consulate in Vancouver - ETDs are NOT acceptable for travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme - you have to also have a US Visa!!:frown:

LP9 Jun 28th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9462916)
I just got an email from the Consulate in Vancouver - ETDs are NOT acceptable for travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme - you have to also have a US Visa!!:frown:

Ouch, lovely system we have to work within eh.

unitedjam83 Jun 28th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9462920)
Ouch, lovely system we have to work within eh.

I talked with the British Consulate here in Toronto yesterday,and after explaining my situation, they made an appoinment for me to go in and get an ETD to travel to the US. I am planning to travel across the Niagara border by car. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I find it strange that it was the suggestion of the consulate to issue an ETD if it is not accepted at the border.

lyonsden1193 Jun 28th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by unitedjam83 (Post 9462949)
I talked with the British Consulate here in Toronto yesterday,and after explaining my situation, they made an appoinment for me to go in and get an ETD to travel to the US. I am planning to travel across the Niagara border by car. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I find it strange that it was the suggestion of the consulate to issue an ETD if it is not accepted at the border.

Hope to hell they're right, that would be a lot of effort if its wrong. Is there anyone who knows where you can call US border control for info on what docs they accept??

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9462916)

If above is right and you got told wrong, that would be heartbreaking. it might be worth the call to check again, also as above see if US border control will tell you what they will accept. Worst that happens is you waste an hour, you're still no worse off than you are now.

Good Luck to both of you.

lcfcdan Jun 28th 2011 7:12 pm

Hello all.

New to the forum and appreciate your patience as I find my feet.

My issue is in regards to my passport renewal. I know there are a number of threads to review and I have attempted to do that. However, I'm still hoping someone can address a question I have.

I am currently in the act of renewing the passport and am terrified I will miss my travel date based on the new delays. Even if I submit tomorrow, based on what I'm seeing the delays could easily mean I will not receive my passport in time.

I have a flight booked for September 22nd.

I have filled out the C1, got my pictures taken and have my old passport on hand, so I'm ready to submit. However, I recently reached out to the British Consul in Charlotte before submitting in the hopes that they may be able to assist in the process.

Should I wait to speak to the consul and keep my documents with me until then or should I take the plunge and submit my docs now? Simply put, can the consul help in the renewal process?

As a side note, it is utterly farcical that in June I am worried about receiving a document in late September. I share in everyone elses frustrations. The biggest frustration for me is the apparent difficulty in tracking your application and discussing anything with an actual human, which is why I reached out to the consul.

lyonsden1193 Jun 28th 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by lcfcdan (Post 9463000)
Hello all.

My issue is in regards to my passport renewal. I know there are a number of threads to review and I have attempted to do that. However, I'm still hoping someone can address a question I have.

I am currently in the act of renewing the passport and am terrified I will miss my travel date based on the new delays. Even if I submit tomorrow, based on what I'm seeing the delays could easily mean I will not receive my passport in time.

I have filled out the C1, got my pictures taken and have my old passport on hand, so I'm ready to submit. However, I recently reached out to the British Consul in Charlotte before submitting in the hopes that they may be able to assist in the process.

Should I wait to speak to the consul and keep my documents with me until then or should I take the plunge and submit my docs now? Simply put, can the consul help in the renewal process?

As a side note, it is utterly farcical that in June I am worried about receiving a document in late September. I share in everyone elses frustrations. The biggest frustration for me is the apparent difficulty in tracking your application and discussing anything with an actual human, which is why I reached out to the consul.

When does your old passport run out?

Jerseygirl Jun 28th 2011 7:18 pm

I think the British Embassy/Consulate issue ETDs to enable UK citizens to get back to the UK. They cannot dictate to the US or any other country's immigration officials what documents you should produce to enter another country.

lcfcdan Jun 28th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9463016)
When does your old passport run out?

Ran out June 6th. I will admit some measure of fault in not noticing this prior to flights.

Jerseygirl Jun 28th 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lcfcdan (Post 9463021)
So you are saying the ETD can get me to the UK, but not necessarily back to the states?

I am a green card holder if that helps.

Again, I'm sorry if I am asking you all to retread well worn topics, I hope you understand my nerves here!

Your GC will get you back into the US.

fine1 Jun 28th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by lcfcdan (Post 9463000)
Hello all.

I suggest you send it off to the UK, you will probably get it back before those of us that submitted renewals in April to DC