Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:33 am
Just Joined

muffin4u4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

I am new to this forum and found it only after searching online for answers as to why my passport is taking so long to arrive.

I am changing my name on my passport and my passport was still valid (renewed in 2009). I sent in my passport along with my original marriage license and birth certificate.

May 7th: mailed application
May 9th: application arrived
June 13th: Credit card was charged.

So I have been watching for the mail waiting for delivery of my new passport. Only today after it had been 14 days since my CC charge did I get online to check the website........and see the message that they could take 10 weeks after the CC is charged!!!!!. My travel date to the UK is July 20th.

I called the Careline 3 times tonight as I was freaking out!!!! The very ncie lady sent an e-mail to the passport dept with all the details incuding my travel dates.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else I can do???? I am hopeful that since I am changing my name and its not a 1st time passport that it may not take too long.......plus they claim to have increased the staff in the PP dept.

I plan to go to my local British consulate (SF) on Fri to see if there is anything they can do.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:35 am
Custom User

brax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I believe its now taking 10 weeks from the time payment is taken.... So it could very well be 2.5 months after your date of June 6th, when payment was taken.
If true this is beyond belief. I applied to renew my son's US passport two weeks ago. It took ten days to arrive after we dropped off the application at the post office. Ten days vs ten weeks. This is surreal.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:31 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brax
If true this is beyond belief. I applied to renew my son's US passport two weeks ago. It took ten days to arrive after we dropped off the application at the post office. Ten days vs ten weeks. This is surreal.
It is unbelievable. I had my US passport renewed a bit 2 years ago to cahnge it to my married name. I had it expedited and it took 5 days from when I mailed it to when I received it back. When I sent my husband passport out in March to be renewed the website said 4 weeks. It's 10 1/2 now since credit card was chargedand over13 weeks since they received it.

By the way for the people who have managed to reach someone at careline waht time of day did you call?

Last edited by penguinbar; Jun 28th 2011 at 7:31 am. Reason: Bad typos!!!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:40 am
Custom User

brax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
It is unbelievable. I had my US passport renewed a bit 2 years ago to cahnge it to my married name. I had it expedited and it took 5 days from when I mailed it to when I received it back. When I sent my husband passport out in March to be renewed the website said 4 weeks. It's 10 1/2 now since credit card was chargedand over13 weeks since they received it.

By the way for the people who have managed to reach someone at careline waht time of day did you call?
I wonder what Victor Meldrew would say? No, I think I already know.

I got through at about 5pm PDT today so 8pm Eastern, 1am BST. This time worked for me last monday too. I use Google Voice (2c/min) to call the UK number using my cellphone.

Good luck,

Simon
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Hi Katie,

In response to your question.... You need to private msg British Consul (that's the screen name)

Hope all goes well....
Many thanks AmerLisa - called Careline and sent off pm just now

I'm not holding my breath - apparently payment was only taken 24 June (application sent mid-May) and I'm supposed to be flying off on Sunday 3 July with my friend from the UK for 'the holiday of a lifetime'

Katie
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiemoon
Many thanks AmerLisa - called Careline and sent off pm just now

I'm not holding my breath - apparently payment was only taken 24 June (application sent mid-May) and I'm supposed to be flying off on Sunday 3 July with my friend from the UK for 'the holiday of a lifetime'

Katie
Sorry, Katie....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

Apparently, if I have a spare $1000 or so, I can fly to Vancouver and get an ETD
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, if I have a spare $1000 or so, I can fly to Vancouver and get an ETD
Ouch!

Well maybe a miracle then....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

I could definitely do with one of those in my life at the moment - just found out last month that my eldest son has cancer (his dad died of a different kind when he was a similar age...) passport problems fade in comparison really
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I could definitely do with one of those in my life at the moment - just found out last month that my eldest son has cancer (his dad died of a different kind when he was a similar age...) passport problems fade in comparison really
Wishing you good luck on everything, Katie....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

everything crossed here!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:55 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Story in the Telegraph here.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:58 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LP9
Story in the Telegraph here.
Well done that man!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:07 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Well done that man!
Cant take the credit on that one....it was Sue's contact.

I'm just thankful they didn't ask for a picture of me.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:09 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LP9
Cant take the credit on that one....it was Sue's contact.

I'm just thankful they didn't ask for a picture of me.
Ok well done you and Sue.

I always refer all requests for pictures to the post office wall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.