Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Jori25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

I have a situation. My FIL lives in Canada and is British subject. He applied for his British passport to come down to the states. It is a new application as his old one lapsed. It has been 18 weeks. He has spent hundreds of dollars calling the care line to see if they can give him some information. All he wants is to come to the states to meet his new grand children. We can't find any information. On Friday he received a reference number but no other information. We have been EXTREMELY patient. We don't know where else to turn. Looking for help on how to navigate the system. Can anyone guide us? I have been reading other posts but not knowing what it means that a reference number was issued we are not sure what to do next???
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jori25
I have a situation. My FIL lives in Canada and is British subject. He applied for his British passport to come down to the states. It is a new application as his old one lapsed. It has been 18 weeks. He has spent hundreds of dollars calling the care line to see if they can give him some information. All he wants is to come to the states to meet his new grand children. We can't find any information. On Friday he received a reference number but no other information. We have been EXTREMELY patient. We don't know where else to turn. Looking for help on how to navigate the system. Can anyone guide us? I have been reading other posts but not knowing what it means that a reference number was issued we are not sure what to do next???
My old passport lapsed 11 years ago, and I just received my new passport. My application, which, due to the age of my previous passport was treated as a new application, was sent in on March 22, and the processing started April 15 according to Careline. I received the passport June 24, 10 weeks to the day after processing started. In all cases, the timer starts when they take payment.

Careline should be able to tell you when processing started. Currently, they are saying the processing time is 10 weeks from payment taken. If it is a new applciation, there are several things that need to be sent in addition to what is sent with an ordinary renewal. After 18 weeks, I would be concerned that there is some hitch in the process, but for some reason your FIL has not been informed and they are waiting for something at the passport office due to his paperwork being incorrect (did he get a professional British citizen, (non family member) to attest that his photos were a 'true likeness' and sign them etc). Did he send his original birth certificate and old passport? Did he send the correct fee?

I hesitate to recommend calling Careline again, but perhaps, if asked the correct questions they might be able to tell you when processing was started on the application, and if there are any problems, and perhaps ask if they can 'escalate' it.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Jori25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response. We are having a hard time getting any information from Careline. He is being left on hold for long periods of time and it is costing him a lot of money (3.00 a minute). I did find out that he sent a money order as payment. I see that other people sent credit card information and when the card is charged they know the application is being processed. The last passport he had was as a child when he immigrated to Canada and to my knowledge he is not sure what happened to it. Besides Care line is there any other outlet that we can try to get information from. He did have the photos signed.
Should he resubmit a new application? Wouldn't they inform him if something was missing or wrong on his application?
Because this process it taking so long he is also trying to get his Canadian citizenship and try to obtain a Canadian passport. For now he is stuck in Canada! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jori25
Thanks for your response. We are having a hard time getting any information from Careline. He is being left on hold for long periods of time and it is costing him a lot of money (3.00 a minute). I did find out that he sent a money order as payment. I see that other people sent credit card information and when the card is charged they know the application is being processed. The last passport he had was as a child when he immigrated to Canada and to my knowledge he is not sure what happened to it. Besides Care line is there any other outlet that we can try to get information from. He did have the photos signed.
Should he resubmit a new application? Wouldn't they inform him if something was missing or wrong on his application?
Because this process it taking so long he is also trying to get his Canadian citizenship and try to obtain a Canadian passport. For now he is stuck in Canada! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Careline were able to tell me when processing started - its one of the few things that they CAN DO. The fact that they were able to give you a case number indicates his application must have been received (I guess). They would inform him if anything were missing from the application if they had correct contact details for him

If your FIL has not had a passport for (lets say) DECADES and he's been out of the UK in Canada all that time, then I would imagine that would be just about the worst case scenario for a delay.

Writing to the passport office is always an option.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

sachminu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LP9
I see it now....tucked in the middle, and not where the normal status message is.

"Please note that the Washington Regional Passport Processing Centre is experiencing a significant increase in demand for passports which may affect the processing time for applications. Your passport application could take up to ten weeks. We have put in additional staff resources to reduce processing times. We are sorry for the delay. Please bear with us while we work hard at processing your passport application as quickly as possible."
Yes, you have to go down to the timeline section, to actually see them mention the 10 week timeline. Its not at the top of the page. But I am assuming new applicants, will go to the timelime section and they should be able to read it.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

I'm having great difficulty too in getting any info about how to get an ETD - the nearest consular office is in Vancouver and I'm in Alberta! Supposed to be travelling this weekend

The careline info states it can't help with info on applications in progress

This is getting so stressful - my BP is through the roof!
Anyone know how to contact Dean Churm please advise

Katie
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:23 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katiemoon
I'm having great difficulty too in getting any info about how to get an ETD - the nearest consular office is in Vancouver and I'm in Alberta! Supposed to be travelling this weekend

Katie
You have not said how old your app is? I believe one of the moderators can help you PM Dean Churm. I think you will have to call careline to get a ref number b4 he can even look at it for you.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiemoon

Katie
Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
You have not said how old your app is? I believe one of the moderators can help you PM Dean Churm. I think you will have to call careline to get a ref number b4 he can even look at it for you.
All the info is in this thread. Also read the stickied threads about passports at the top of this forum's index page.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:55 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
True. Dean told me he would need a Careline tracking number before he would be able to invrstigate any issues. I tried calling them and once again I was told to hang up and try later because of delays. 10 1/2 weeks since payment taken. Still nothing.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mshedden
(did he get a professional British citizen, (non family member) to attest that his photos were a 'true likeness' and sign them etc). Did he send his original birth certificate and old passport? Did he send the correct fee?
Foreign issued passports don't need a Brit to counter sign them, just just need to be someone in "good professional" standing that they know.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

jmacgill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eanne06
Okay, so here is my timeline thus far.

June 2-Arrived and signed for in DC

Some time between June 2 and June 8, the disclaimer showed up on the website saying it would now take longer than the original eta.

June 9-Call careline to see what the heck the disclaimer means. They can't tell me anything because I'm not in the system
I'm almost on the exact same timeline for my wife's passport - signed for on June 2nd, called June 16 ish to find out what the disclaimer meant. Seems like I'm going to be in the dark until they take payment (checking credit card status every day... nothing so far)

Hoping to travel in August so still all of July to go.. but it sounds like it can take a few weeks after payment is taken

I'm upset as this trip may end up being the last chance my kids get to see one of their grandparents. We'd apply for an emergency passport given that circumstance but I have no idea how my wife would get back into the US correctly given that her current visa is stuck in her old passport!

Is there truly no way to get information until payment is taken?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:29 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jmacgill
I'm almost on the exact same timeline for my wife's passport - signed for on June 2nd, called June 16 ish to find out what the disclaimer meant. Seems like I'm going to be in the dark until they take payment (checking credit card status every day... nothing so far)

Hoping to travel in August so still all of July to go.. but it sounds like it can take a few weeks after payment is taken

I'm upset as this trip may end up being the last chance my kids get to see one of their grandparents. We'd apply for an emergency passport given that circumstance but I have no idea how my wife would get back into the US correctly given that her current visa is stuck in her old passport!

Is there truly no way to get information until payment is taken?
With the July 4th holiday you probably have another 2 weeks before they take payment unfortunately.

Might need to look at an ETD, depending on when in August.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

jmacgill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LP9
With the July 4th holiday you probably have another 2 weeks before they take payment unfortunately.

Might need to look at an ETD, depending on when in August.
August 3rd was our original travel date - as a fallback I can travel with the kids as planned and my wife could follow later - far from ideal as our youngest is only 4 and that would be a pull for him. Also as its her mum that is ill cutting my wife's trip short would be sad.

Does anyone have any experience traveling from the US and back in on an ETD when they have an active US visa?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:07 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jmacgill
August 3rd was our original travel date - as a fallback I can travel with the kids as planned and my wife could follow later - far from ideal as our youngest is only 4 and that would be a pull for him. Also as its her mum that is ill cutting my wife's trip short would be sad.

Does anyone have any experience traveling from the US and back in on an ETD when they have an active US visa?

Private message me, in this circumstance I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LP9
Private message me, in this circumstance I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Why is it not something that can be posted to the thread?

It's a general policy to be wary of sending or receiving sensitive advice like this (and immigration etc) in private messages/email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.