British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

LP9 Jun 26th 2011 3:45 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by sachminu (Post 9458118)
Well I am happy that at least they have updated there website...and mentioned that it will take 10 weeks and also they have hired additional staff. Also pleased to see that the local media did a story.

Which page is that on Sachminu......link?

meauxna Jun 26th 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9457329)
..since I won't have a UK passport to prove I'm a UK citizen.

Your US passport will note where you were born, so you can always lean in close and tell the UK border agent, 'psst, I'm really one of you'.
That should kill both birds with one stone. :)

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9458331)
Your US passport will note where you were born, so you can always lean in close and tell the UK border agent, 'psst, I'm really one of you'.
That should kill both birds with one stone. :)

Just because you are born in the UK doesn't necessarily mean you a UKC.

candy wy. Jun 26th 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9458124)
Which page is that on Sachminu......link?

Updated June 16th

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa

LP9 Jun 26th 2011 6:29 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9458335)

I see it now....tucked in the middle, and not where the normal status message is.

"Please note that the Washington Regional Passport Processing Centre is experiencing a significant increase in demand for passports which may affect the processing time for applications. Your passport application could take up to ten weeks. We have put in additional staff resources to reduce processing times. We are sorry for the delay. Please bear with us while we work hard at processing your passport application as quickly as possible."

meauxna Jun 26th 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9458333)
Just because you are born in the UK doesn't necessarily mean you a UKC.

Oh, apologies then.

Hotscot Jun 26th 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Just curious...does carrying my birth certificate prove I'm a UK citizen for the purposes of entering the UK?
Or is the passport the only thing that proves citizenship?

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9458520)
Just curious...does carrying my birth certificate prove I'm a UK citizen for the purposes of entering the UK?
Or is the passport the only thing that proves citizenship?

I think so...but maybe Dean or JAJ can clarify. Why can't you just use your US PP and be done with it?

mshedden Jun 26th 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9458520)
Just curious...does carrying my birth certificate prove I'm a UK citizen for the purposes of entering the UK?
Or is the passport the only thing that proves citizenship?

Do you have an old previously expired UK passport to take with ya?

mshedden Jun 26th 2011 9:54 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9458545)
I think so...but maybe Dean or JAJ can clarify. Why can't you just use your US PP and be done with it?

If being born in the UK doesn't automatically make you a UKC, then presumably having a UK birth certificate doesn't either(?)

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9458566)
If being born in the UK doesn't automatically make you a UKC, then presumably having a UK birth certificate doesn't either(?)

Without looking I don't know whether parent's nationality is on a birth certificate.

mshedden Jun 26th 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9458593)
Without looking I don't know whether parent's nationality is on a birth certificate.

Checked mine - parents nationality is not on there.

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2011 10:19 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9458596)
Checked mine - parents nationality is not on there.

In that case you have a good point. :D It may depend on the date you were born as citizenship rules have changed over the years.

I know if you're British you can't be refused entry just because you don't have a passport...but how the heck you prove it I have no idea.

mshedden Jun 26th 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9458600)
In that case you have a good point. :D It may depend on the date you were born as citizenship rules have changed over the years.

I know if you're British you can't be refused entry just because you don't have a passport...but how the heck you prove it I have no idea.

You sing 'Rule Brittania' to the immigration officer, and show him your stiff upper lip :eek:

Hotscot Jun 26th 2011 11:19 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Why can't you just use your US PP and be done with it?

Cause I don't have one yet and I don't have US citizenship yet. These things should be taken care of before I travel in two weeks but I'm just exploring all contingencies in case things don't go smoothly or timely as I thought the UK passport renewal would be.

In addition this seems to be the forum for such questions and answers that may inform others.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:22 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.