Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Shazban
It's great to hear that things are moving faster now. Pity they couldn't have figured it out BEFORE the summer holidays started. Hopefully they've learned for next year......hopefully
Hopefully they won't be in the middle of moving the processing centre back to the UK next summer :/
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

yaychemistry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Hopefully they won't be in the middle of moving the processing centre back to the UK next summer :/
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting, but I've been reading the forums and they have been a great help.

Here's my time line for my first UK passport application (dual citizen):
May 30: sent application via FedEx
May 31: Tracking Info Says package delivered.
June 30: Application Fee Charged (30 days later)
Aug 10: Requested a Declaration of Marriage document to be filled out by my parents
Aug 15: Parents finally got around to sending in the Declaration of Marriage Document
Aug 30: UPS attempted delivery
Aug 31: I picked up the passport at the UPS facility

A couple of notes: I don't remember seeing the Declaration of Marriage document (which is different from my parents' Marriage License that I had sent in) being a requirement when I looked at the fco website back in April and May while I was collecting my documents - in fact the website seemed a little bit disorganized. The current website (http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...port-documents) is now quite good.

All in all, it took 3 months from submission to receive my passport, one month too late for my travel to the UK - but it turned out ok since I had my US passport. Had I known back in May that the passport office was so delayed I would have waited to submit my application so help lighten their load.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:31 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

My timeline:

Jul 16 - Passport Application mailed
Jul 18 - Arrived at Embassy
Aug 11 - Credit Card charged
Sep 9 - New Passport arrived

Just over 7 weeks, which doesn't seem too bad to me.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

pinkandco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, this is my first (and perhaps only, for another 10 years!) post. I've been following others' sagas with passport renewal this summer, and with some dread sent off my hubby's passport for renewal in August. It arrived back today, hurrah!

Here is our timeline:

3 Aug 2011 - shipped passport to Washington by fedex 3 day
10 Aug 2011 - CC charged
7 Sept 2011 - passport received by UPS next day.

We did not call careline or indicate any need for rapid turnover.

Best of luck to those of you still waiting!

-pink n' co
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:48 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Passport sent UPS 10 August
Arrived DC 11 August
CC debited 14 August

Passport arrived today, 9 September.

That's 22 working days including date of arrival in DC. Twas a simple renewal but passport had 8 months validity on it. I made no special requests neither did I ring.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Thomas1313 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Folks,

The timeline for my passport renewal and my son's first application.

4 Aug 2011: Mailed application ("Expedited Parcel - USA") from Ottawa
9 Aug 2011: Canada Post / US Postal Service loses track of package. I start pulling my hair out and chanting "UPS, UPS, why didn't I send this by UPS?"
17 Aug 2011: Still no record of the package being delivered to UK Embassy in Washington. Canada Post agrees to start trace.
19 Aug 2011: Credit Card charged by UK Embassy ("Thank God!")
9 Sep 2011: Passports issued
13 Sep 2011: Passports arrive - by UPS!

According to Canada Post, the application still hasn't arrived at the UK Embassy!

Moral of the story: send by courier!

(Didn't make any calls to the Careline or to the Embassy etc)

Cheers
P
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Helen GB is an unknown quantity at this point

Newbie here.Reading through all the posts does it seem that the service is improving? Has anyone used a courier service?and if so did it speed up the process? Just mailed off my application for renewal Sept 19th by priority Fed Ex which is to arrive sept 20th.Travel date is Oct 25th what do you think my chances are? or will I end up with emergency travel? Just paid $175.00 for the courier service Would be interested in replies Thanks all and hope all your passports arrive promptly
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen GB
Travel date is Oct 25th what do you think my chances are?
With only a month's lead time... 50/50. Did you just realize your passport needed renewing? One month - even at the best of times, generally isn't sufficient lead time for processing.

... or will I end up with emergency travel?
Possibly - there's no way to know ahead of time.

Just paid $175.00 for the courier service
I think you just wasted $175. Getting the passport application submitted isn't a problem - it's that there are probably hundreds of applications ahead of you... and they'll be worked on prior to yours.

Good luck... but don't get your hopes up.

Ian
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Well I just didn't realise passport had expired.Thankfully I had some time to renew I hope I haven't wasted mony on the courier sevice maybe they can expidite it quicker or are able to get some info saving me from calling careline will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:21 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting faster...

Shipped Fedex overnight - September 2nd
Confirmed arrival Washington DC -September 6th (after Labor Day holiday)
Credit Card payment charged - September 9th
New passport received - September 21st

Total turnaround - 15 days from arrival in DC.

This was for a renewal. As an FYI, they accepted the "American sized" photos without a problem.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your post this gives me hope that I'll get my passport on time
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

My new passport arrived back to Nova Scotia today. Just a regular renewal.

My old passport and application arrived in Washington on Thursday, September 8th. (It took over 3 weeks with Canada Post, they've since refunded the postage!) However........

Credit card was actioned on Tuesday, September 13th.

Mailed by them on September 15th. UPS Saver Rate.

Arrived this morning, September, 26th.

Looks like the service is all it should be now....
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:50 am
Former Widnesian

stejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the Summer rush is over!

My application included three passport renewals (2 adults and 1 child) and one first time application (1 child born in Canada).

Sent Expresspost (2-3 days) with Canada Post - September 6th.
Confirmed arrival Washington DC - September 9th.
Credit card charged - September 15th.
New passports arrived - September 26th.

Total turnaround - 17 days from arrival in DC.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:05 am
Banned

shanmarsh2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know if you can travel to Europe from UK without a passport,but useing new style drivers licence with photo as ID ?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shanmarsh2
Does anybody know if you can travel to Europe from UK without a passport,but useing new style drivers licence with photo as ID ?
Last time I checked, the UK was in Europe. What driver's license are you using? A US/Canadian EDL or what? You need to prove your citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.