Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by sammymummy
Hellooooo.... Can anyone please answer or have a idea on my question....
I'm so sorry... I was in the middle of surgery when your post arrived. I regret you had to wait so long for a response.

Then again, it just dawned on me how rude and impatient your post seems... so now I can't be arsed to respond futher.

I suggest a little patience in future... the members here are not your personal servants and should not be treated as your personal on-demand resource!

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

sammymummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm so sorry... I was in the middle of surgery when your post arrived. I regret you had to wait so long for a response.

Then again, it just dawned on me how rude and impatient your post seems... so now I can't be arsed to respond futher.

I suggest a little patience in future... the members here are not your personal servants and should not be treated as your personal on-demand resource!

Ian
If my post came across rude I apologize, but I have been patient, and I did not treat any one as my servant. The fact that you have responded saying you can not be arsed to respond further was rude, and I feel that your post was distasteful. Once again if my post seemed rude I really do apologize, I did not mean for it to seem that way.

I won't be commenting on this tread anymore, I hope everyone that is still waiting for a passport gets it in time for travel, and for everyone that has received their passport congratulation again.
God bless.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

robh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hellooooo.... Can anyone please answer or have a idea on my question.... Can I go to the passport office in dc and inquire about my passport and wait for it? Plus I've been calling the dc consulate and there is no answer. Has anyone ever got him on the phone?
You're only like to get an accurate response from somebody who has do this (applied an ETD), maybe nobody here has.

Having said that, I assume you have read:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

The key bit is "Passport applicants requesting emergency travel documentation are required to apply in person.". As you say, there's no indication of whether you should make an appointment, but given that it's for emergencies (and can, sometimes, be done out of hours) you should be OK just turning up - with the form (linked to on that page) already filled out (make sure you request a return ETD, listing every country).

Hopefully somebody who has actually done an ETD will respond, but unfortunately unless they do, all we can do is guess how it works from the published information.

Rob
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robh

Hopefully somebody who has actually done an ETD will respond, but unfortunately unless they do, all we can do is guess how it works from the published information.
Alternatively, they could search out this thread and read the other passport stickied threads, which cover the ETD in a fair bit of info from folks going through it as well as from Dean, the Consul at Orlando.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Alternatively, they could search out this thread and read the other passport stickied threads, which cover the ETD in a fair bit of info from folks going through it as well as from Dean, the Consul at Orlando.
Thank you for your replys. I will just show up at the embassy. Thanks again
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=sammymummy;9564811]
Originally Posted by BILDER
Called the Embassy you mean? Embassy in DC, consulates elsewhere! Call him whom? You can call the Embassy, but it is unlikely you will be able to talk to

I've been calling my local consulate for an emergency passport which is the dc location. So if I can't get the consulate on the phone how am I ment to make an appointment for and ETD????? Can I just go to my local consulate passport office and be seen by some one or is a appointment needed for entry in the building?
Please be more patient. I think you meant that you called the Embassy in Washington D.C. Others here have explained the difference between Embassy and Consulate, so I won't bother to do so. Try this # (202) 588 7800.
Once again, please be patient. The other members here have no control over your passport so there is no point getting upset with them
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks. That is the number I have been trying to call. Careline told me that I will be able to speak with some when calling that number. Anyway I made the trip to dc, so I will find out what's going on in the morning when they open at 8.

By the way I wasn't upset with not getting answers or anything, I was upset that a member on here felt he had the right to speak to me the way he did. If he had a issuse he could have private messaged me. Once again I apologize if my message seemed rude or inpatient, but I think the way he delt with it was rude and belittling. Thank you for writing me back with a level of maturity.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:12 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by shhu
Hello

This is the first time I am posting. I just like reading these forums, but decided to post.

I sent my passport for a renewal as I was running out of pages. I still had two years left on it.

Sent by Fed-Ex: 3rd August, 2011
Received by Embassy in Washington: 4th August 2011
Credit Card charged: 8th August 2011

I have not received my passport yet, but I noticed in a lot of posts people's credit cards were being charged much later than when the documents were received. My card was charged in two business days of my documents being received by the embassy, given it was received just before a weekend. I realise the credit card gets charged first, but it seems like this part of the process was quick. I am hoping it will be the same for the actual receipt of my passport.

I will keep you posted on when I receive my new passport.
Give or take a few days we are on a similar timeline.

Sent passport for renewal, with 8 months still to go on it, by UPS
on 10 August. It arrived in DC 11 August. Card debited on 14 August. Card debit was very prompt and raised my hopes. I am hoping the Embassy has got over the hump of the no doubt numerous applications at the start of the vacation season. Currently should be a bit calmer.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:44 pm
I love NC

Rach123 will become famous soon enoughRach123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rach123
Hi All,

Just thought I would post my timeline so far, and keep you updated.

Fortunately for me, I have not booked any travel yet. We wanted to fly back to see my parents in September, but I am not expecting any miracles.

Due to my marriage, I decided to change my name on my passport, and of course that meant a renewal!

Although I was married over a year ago, I just put off getting it changed, as I didnt need it right then....of course when I decided to actually do something about it, there is a ridiculas backlog!!

So, I sent off my documents on June 22nd.

Recieved on June 24th (which was a Friday, so I knew that it wouldnt even be looked at before the following Monday!)

Credit Card charged on July 18th.....

Thats it for now, so I estimate around 10 weeks from now going by all of the previous posts, but who knows!
.........Just an update on this. I recieved my new passport this morning, which is 4 weeks and 4 days since my credit card was charged, and exactly 8 weeks since my application was recieved.

I made no phone calls to the care line.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

I received my passport today. It only took over 10 phone calls to careline, 4 escalations and a 4hr drive to dc to speak to the lovely guy at the passport office, who took my info and walked it down to the processing depart. I received my passport the next morning. (Today). So I'm happy no cancelled trip or having to pay $175. For an ETD. Good luck to everyone else waiting and be presistant, cause the passport guy told me that some cases get pushed to the bottom of the file if its more than a renewal. Which that's what happened to me.
But anyway good luck and if dc isn't that bad of a drive, and you need to travel ASAP. I suggest to make the drive, its worth it.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I received my passport today.
Excellent. Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Oxton is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not trusting these incompetents with my renewal. The only time I renewed my passport outside the U.K. was with the Ottawa embassy 9 years ago. They lost track of the new passport after it was processed(eventually was found and sent to me),lost the old passport and my long form British birth certificate(I have no idea why they wanted it in the first place on a renewal)which were never returned. So much for security in these days of identity theft. I'm going to go the renewing it in the UK route and pay the extra for the in person Premium same day service.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:38 am
Just Joined

BCCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Things may be changing in Washington. I sent my wife's new passport application off from Vancouver on July13th. It arrived July 14th in Washington, credit card debited August 2nd, passport arrived today. It took only 3 1/2 weeks.

I only hope the spousal visa is as quick!!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

EmmPeez is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Passport Delays

Things have definitely improved with PP processing in DC. I got my renewal PP today, after UPS tried to deliver yesterday.

Following my first post on the subject back in the midst of "the troubles", here's my timeline -

July 6 - Sent renewal application to DC
July 8 - Arrived in DC
July 26 - Payment taken
August 10 - Called Careline, was told 8 weeks from payment
August 17 - PP Dispatched by UPS from DC
August 30 - UPS attempt delivery
August 31 - Collected PP from UPS Store

Good luck to those still waiting
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

It's great to hear that things are moving faster now. Pity they couldn't have figured it out BEFORE the summer holidays started. Hopefully they've learned for next year......hopefully

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.