Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:14 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why is it not something that can be posted to the thread?

It's a general policy to be wary of sending or receiving sensitive advice like this (and immigration etc) in private messages/email.
Because I dont want to give out someones personal email address to everyone here.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

jmacgill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LP9
Private message me, in this circumstance I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks... grateful for any pointers I can get.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiemoon
I'm having great difficulty too in getting any info about how to get an ETD - the nearest consular office is in Vancouver and I'm in Alberta! Supposed to be travelling this weekend

The careline info states it can't help with info on applications in progress

This is getting so stressful - my BP is through the roof!
Anyone know how to contact Dean Churm please advise

Katie
Hi Katie,

In response to your question.... You need to private msg British Consul (that's the screen name)

Hope all goes well....
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, I've been reading through this horrendous thread for days and I'm trying really hard not to panic too much yet but here's my time line

Application sent: May 17th
Application recvd: May 19th
Payment taken: June 23rd
Travel date: August 12th

This is a new passport for my US born daughter and I was dumb enough to submit her valid US passport, her birth certificate AND my valid UK Passport with my birth certificate as evidence since we have different last names. I could stab myself in the eye for my stupidity now. I figured she should enter the UK with a UK passport since we're moving permanently and have one way tickets.

Feeling like quite the jacka$$ right about now
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It's not your fault. Many of the people here have been misled by the claim that it would take 4-6 weeks to process applications.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:52 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shazban
Hi everyone, I've been reading through this horrendous thread for days and I'm trying really hard not to panic too much yet but here's my time line

This is a new passport for my US born daughter and I was dumb enough to submit her valid US passport, her birth certificate AND my valid UK Passport with my birth certificate as evidence since we have different last names. I could stab myself in the eye for my stupidity now. I figured she should enter the UK with a UK passport since we're moving permanently and have one way tickets.

You're going to need to call the Careline on that one if you haven't already.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:05 am
Custom User

brax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
It's not your fault. Many of the people here have been misled by the claim that it would take 4-6 weeks to process applications.
I applied on May 2nd, payment taken June 6th. Almost every day after that I was looking out for the passports to arrive, fully expecting them to. I had assumed that the payment signaled we were nearing the end. Clearly not! On about June 18th I looked at the website and saw the "We aim to process the new passport within four weeks from the date the fee is taken". It seems to me that the wording has changed to include the "from the date the fee is taken". Is it just me? The passport application form urges applications to be made at least 4 weeks before need for renewals and six weeks before need for new passports. I suggest that the goalposts have been moved. I also saw the 16th June note "Your passport application could take up to ten weeks". The problem with this note is that is unclear and has remained unclear which ten weeks it means. That is from receipt or payment. Yes I know people have been told it means post payment but it does not actually say that.

This is a nightmare for my family and many others. Good luck to all of you with travel plans at risk.

Simon
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brax
I applied on May 2nd, payment taken June 6th. Almost every day after that I was looking out for the passports to arrive, fully expecting them to. I had assumed that the payment signaled we were nearing the end. Clearly not! On about June 18th I looked at the website and saw the "We aim to process the new passport within four weeks from the date the fee is taken". It seems to me that the wording has changed to include the "from the date the fee is taken". Is it just me? The passport application form urges applications to be made at least 4 weeks before need for renewals and six weeks before need for new passports. I suggest that the goalposts have been moved. I also saw the 16th June note "Your passport application could take up to ten weeks". The problem with this note is that is unclear and has remained unclear which ten weeks it means. That is from receipt or payment. Yes I know people have been told it means post payment but it does not actually say that.

This is a nightmare for my family and many others. Good luck to all of you with travel plans at risk.

Simon
I believe its now taking 10 weeks from the time payment is taken.... So it could very well be 2.5 months after your date of June 6th, when payment was taken.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mshedden
Woo hoo - a RESULT! UPS has my passport, and it will be here this afternoon which is a major relief.

Timeline:

Mailed: March 22
Received DC: March 23
Processing started: April 15
Shipped: June 23
Arrived (will arrive): June 24

It is now 10 working weeks to the day since processing started.

Tracking indcates it was 'ready to ship' on the 20th, but not picked up until the 23rd.

This was essentially a new application (renewing an old expired blue passport).

Good luck to those that are waiting.

This is what I read when I scanned back a few pages. It would appear its taking 10 weeks from time of payment....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

It looks like I should be calling Careline soon, given that I put on my application a travel date of 7/7.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brax

Simon
Yeah, I feel like the "from date payment is taken" was added at some point, or otherwise they aren't telling people that there are two kinds of delay - they aren't taking your payment quickly, and then it's an extended wait after the payment is taken, too. Certainly all the guidelines on the various websites and info booklets suggest getting your application in "at least 6 weeks before travel" (or something similar). None of them say "at least 6 weeks before travel, plus add an extra three weeks for us to process your payment before that 6 weeks starts".
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for making me feel a little better about my mistake.

I will be calling the careline but I think I'll give them until the end of this week just in case a miracle happens. Fat chance, I know.

If we don't get the passport by the 1st week of August, I'm wondering if they'd let me go to the DC office to retrieve my original documents? I'm in CT so it wouldn't too hellish of a drive except that my plan was to sell my car a week before leaving. What a PITA this is turning out to be. Good grief!

Thanks again for all your support in this forum. You guys are truly wonderful!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:39 am
LP9
Forum Regular

I will be calling the careline but I think I'll give them until the end of this week just in case a miracle happens.
I would call as soon as possible, since we are coming up on a long holiday weekend.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LP9
I would call as soon as possible, since we are coming up on a long holiday weekend.
Oh yes that's right! I guess I'll be calling sooner than later. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:18 am
Just Joined

unitedjam83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if anyone knows if a UK ETD is accepted when crossing the US border from Canada by private vehicle.

I contacted the British Embassy here in Toronto and they have scheduled an appointment to provide me with an ETD, but I have found information on various sites that seem to suggest that a UK ETD is not valid under the visa waiver program. Does this only apply when travelling by plane?

If someone could enlighten me, that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.