Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old May 17th 2011, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Been shopping around this site at the threads, and what appears to show up is that the UK Govt sub contracted out a very important function. As usual when you sub out to (what was probably the lowest bidder) I guess we get what they pay for. Trying not to use Bob's option for emergency travel as I also have a 90yr old father who may pop off at any time (this was the man who said he would not live past 55!) hey just thought ... he's that good at delaying things perhaps he was a civil servant in a previous life!
E.P can be used 5 times though, and perhaps if you spend enough time in the UK, could get a new UK passport there, if you're able to get your old one returned.

Someone posted that they were able to get their old passport returned which hadn't expired yet to use on a trip, but I don't think they had been charged at that point. Worth a shot?
Old May 17th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

nsdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
E.P can be used 5 times though, and perhaps if you spend enough time in the UK, could get a new UK passport there, if you're able to get your old one returned.

Someone posted that they were able to get their old passport returned which hadn't expired yet to use on a trip, but I don't think they had been charged at that point. Worth a shot?
I am pretty sure the person who got the passport returned before it was charged was able to go to the embassy and collect it. I suspect any other method of asking for it back will probably fail due to a lack of direct contact with the embassy. I think careline can only help once its been billed.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

WeeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peony
HI everyone, I'm new here and I found you because I guess I'm in trouble. I sent my daughter's UK passport to Washington for renewal on 21st March (her 5 year baby passport expired), they charged my card on 18th April, called them today and the Careline said it's still a couple of weeks off. We're supposed to be traveling next Wednesday 25th. Is there anything I can do? So much for a 4 -week lead time!
Peony, it is so stressful, the whole process! I have my passport in hand today, which is bitter sweet since we had to cancel our holiday on sat and the passport arrived yesterday . Have careline sent an escalation email to washingto yet? I spent all of last week waiting to hear from them and heard nothing, yet my passport was picked up by UPS on wed afternoon, doesnt allow for the 3 days it takes to get to canada. If someone had contacted me when they were supposed to i would have paid for overnight shipping. These r things i wish i cd change, but you might still have an opportunity to have careline state that in the email. Good luck! I hope you get it in time for your trip.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Peony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WeeOne
Peony, it is so stressful, the whole process! I have my passport in hand today, which is bitter sweet since we had to cancel our holiday on sat and the passport arrived yesterday . Have careline sent an escalation email to washingto yet? I spent all of last week waiting to hear from them and heard nothing, yet my passport was picked up by UPS on wed afternoon, doesnt allow for the 3 days it takes to get to canada. If someone had contacted me when they were supposed to i would have paid for overnight shipping. These r things i wish i cd change, but you might still have an opportunity to have careline state that in the email. Good luck! I hope you get it in time for your trip.
Thanks, I called the British Consulate in Chicago to see if I could get an emergency passport appointment and someone called me back and is going to see if they can get the full passport application sorted out first, before we go down the emergency route. I haven't heard anything back yet but I did get a contact number so I can call them if I don't hear anything in the next day or two. It was refreshing to be able to speak to someone who seemed interested in helping. Fingers crossed....
Old May 17th 2011, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

US customs are Pretty tough on ppl entering the country and i couldnt take the chance of being turned away with a ETD. If i was going home to scotland it would be no problem. We were headed to Hilton Head,SC... Will Prob have to go in september now. Good luck to everyone else awaiting their passport. I will definately be lodging a complaint and will update if anything comes of it.
My timeline was:
Sent: march 24th received march 25th with proof of travel for may 14th
Credit card charged april 7th
Many follow up calls to careline
Escalated may 5th
no call or email from washington
Careline computer says "processing" may 12th
Trip cancelled may 13th
UPS delivers passport in canada may 16th ( passport was picked up at 3pm on Wed may 11th. 3 business days needed to deliver.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nsdale
I am pretty sure the person who got the passport returned before it was charged was able to go to the embassy and collect it. I suspect any other method of asking for it back will probably fail due to a lack of direct contact with the embassy. I think careline can only help once its been billed.
Possibly contacting Dean from BE via pm to see if he can help out with that?
Old May 18th 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

I came across a british consolate orlando psge on facebook, there is a discussion section and i posted in it and got a response within a few hours, i wonder if Dean is the one who organized the group?? Even tho i am in canada, he responded and gave me an address and other details of where to send a complaint. I will look for a link to it and post it if you like
Old May 18th 2011, 4:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by WeeOne
I came across a british consolate orlando psge on facebook, there is a discussion section and i posted in it and got a response within a few hours, i wonder if Dean is the one who organized the group?? Even tho i am in canada, he responded and gave me an address and other details of where to send a complaint. I will look for a link to it and post it if you like
The info to file complaints, he posted that here, it's in the stickied thread up top in the USA forum.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Oh, i had't realized that.... Thx Bob
Old May 19th 2011, 3:08 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Credit card taken 05/18.... now hope for the best
Old May 25th 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

magsworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried putting a call into Careline today, actually got the same guy I spoke to last time. The usual story - passport is now processing after cc being charged on May 19th. No other information. Refused to escalate renewal for son's passport despite us having a travel date of June 12th. They suggest I call back June 6th if I have not received it as they can escalate if it is 5 days or less before travel time. Don't dare look at how much the careline call cost me as I ended up venting to the guy about how unhelpful this super-expensive call was.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Passport Delays

Hi Folks

I can see my time line is like many others here, OF course I did not think it would take this long, My application was received in Washington DC on Mar 9

Received Mar 9 2011

Money taken off Visa Card on April 6 2011

And that's all I have to report
It May 25th and I am still patiently waiting.....

What else can I do? (shrugs)

It is possible to contact Dean Churm directly? (in e-mail)??

Quote:
DEAN CHURM British Consul & Regional Operations Manager, Southern USA
British Consular Services (North America & Caribbean)

thanks

tom

Last edited by akatomw; May 25th 2011 at 4:57 pm. Reason: adds
Old May 25th 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

I also sent a letter of complaint on Tuesday to the address at 19 Observatory Circle in Washington. More like a polite but firm enquiry.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by akatomw
Hi Folks

I can see my time line is like many others here, OF course I did not think it would take this long, My application was received in Washington DC on Mar 9

Received Mar 9 2011

Money taken off Visa Card on April 6 2011

And that's all I have to report
It May 25th and I am still patiently waiting.....

What else can I do? (shrugs)

It is possible to contact Dean Churm directly? (in e-mail)??

Quote:
DEAN CHURM British Consul & Regional Operations Manager, Southern USA
British Consular Services (North America & Caribbean)

thanks

tom
Is yours a first issue passport or a renewal? Just wondered as you said application. I was kind of hoping that renewals (as my son's is) would go through a little faster.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

Originally Posted by magsworld
Is yours a first issue passport or a renewal? Just wondered as you said application. I was kind of hoping that renewals (as my son's is) would go through a little faster.
Sorry, it is a renewal and I am not sure there is any difference?
my renewal is taking this long... I sent the old Passport in so I have nothing
but a memory and photocopy of the old one....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.