Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Deedee13
damn.. i knew i should have told my kids to do their own. Well I sent mine off and I know Dean said I would get charged the old rate - I got charged the new. grrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well I suppose its one of those things. Just eat it.

I sent out a passport enquiry on Sunday, Got a call on Monday, telling me I needed to get the kids pics countersigned. Personally I thought they look pretty similar to the pics of 5 years ago. Drove home like a maniac I literally got off a Frankfurt flight called them got told what needed to be done and sent it fedex overnight. Thank god for the 75% discount we get at Fedex. Got a call tonight with a tracking number and told the passports will be issued tomorrow and sent overnight per ups. Arriving on Thursday which would be great as the kids are flying at 5.20. the same day.

My own fault. I knew they were running out and just kept putting it off. Paying for new passports really hurts. But it is what it is. So with any luck bitch one and bitch two will be up up and awaying one for the whole summer and the other for two weeks.

Big thanks to Jerry at the Passport office. That guy has one hell of a sexy voice. : )
Sorry Deedee, they should have charged you the old rate if the application arrived before the prices went up.

I'll let Gerry know (about the voice that is).

PS. You can renew your passport up to 9 months before it expires. Any time remaining will be transferred to the new passport.

Dean
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Jdatlas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

I mailed my renewal application on June 8, 2009. I procrastinated for way too long and should really have dealt with this months ago. I want to go to England this summer. Should I risk it and buy a ticket for mid-July in the hopes that my passport will arrive by then or should I buy a ticket for the end of July and risk not seeing my sister and family who I haven't seen for years as they will be travelling in August? I hate not knowing what is happening with my application and not knowing when my passport will arrive.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough

Based on others and my experience......August seems to be your best bet.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Jdatlas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 20masonroad
Based on others and my experience......August seems to be your best bet.
Thanks. I am kicking myself for not dealing with this earlier. I feel so stupid.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough

No need to be feeling that way, I, like you thought I would have enough time when I sent mine in for renewal, I didn't, missed my Grandson's 6th birthday, my son's 30th, a good friend of mine has M S and missed his fund raiser... the list goes on....Next time, I'll be early in line to renew.
Good luck
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
PS. You can renew your passport up to 9 months before it expires. Any time remaining will be transferred to the new passport.

Dean
The uk passport website suggests that you can renew a passport at any time, but the max amount of time that can be transferred is 9 months.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp

Are the rules different when applying abroad?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by rebs
The uk passport website suggests that you can renew a passport at any time, but the max amount of time that can be transferred is 9 months.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp

Are the rules different when applying abroad?
Same thing, just a different way of saying it.

Dean
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

This whole situation is a joke, someone really needs to be held accountable for this enormous mess. The BBC reports today that the UK is coming out of recession ....... I can only imagine this is because of the massive revenue the passport office has generated from all of us using their premium rate not - helpline.
I applied for my childrens passport renewals on 21st April so should have had plenty of time to meet a June 16th meeting at the US embassy. Money taken 22nd May. I've now been told it takes 20 working days from the date of money being taken. 4 weeks - are you kidding me??
I have sent numerous queries to the website and got 2 standard responses - todays being - we shall be back to normal by the time you are due to travel and if you don't hear a response by 7 days before call premium rate number. Well I called them this morning as I don't have 7 days left before next Tuesday and guess what? Nothing issued and nothing they can do - this is beyond stressful.
The worst of it is having to explain to a US immigration bod that it is the British that have screwed it up - grrrrrrrr. Rant over!
For all of you that need to travel next summer I might think about applying sometime soon!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

CP2908 is an unknown quantity at this point

Taradem - I think you are in Canada so have you tried emailing the consulate in Ottowa? I sent my passport in around the same time as you and had nothing back so I emailed the consulate (at address below) on Sunday May 31and my passport arrived 2 days later. I am sure they did something to get it moving. Good Luck.

[email protected]
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taradem
This whole situation is a joke, someone really needs to be held accountable for this enormous mess. The BBC reports today that the UK is coming out of recession ....... I can only imagine this is because of the massive revenue the passport office has generated from all of us using their premium rate not - helpline.
I applied for my childrens passport renewals on 21st April so should have had plenty of time to meet a June 16th meeting at the US embassy. Money taken 22nd May. I've now been told it takes 20 working days from the date of money being taken. 4 weeks - are you kidding me??
I have sent numerous queries to the website and got 2 standard responses - todays being - we shall be back to normal by the time you are due to travel and if you don't hear a response by 7 days before call premium rate number. Well I called them this morning as I don't have 7 days left before next Tuesday and guess what? Nothing issued and nothing they can do - this is beyond stressful.
The worst of it is having to explain to a US immigration bod that it is the British that have screwed it up - grrrrrrrr. Rant over!
For all of you that need to travel next summer I might think about applying sometime soon!
Have you seen this post? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=99

I would email Ottowa at the address CP2908 posted and drop Dean a PM asking for his help.

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

mainscow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm. My money was gone on March 16th (I had to file a lost passport form too), I just called Careline and they told me that they couldn't see my application. They promised me that the embassy would call, but Abtran promised the same a few weeks back. I travel back to Manchester on June 29th. You'd have thought that if I had Fedexed my application on March 6th, I would have the passport by now wouldn't you?

Very concerned.
Mark
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mainscow
Hmm. My money was gone on March 16th (I had to file a lost passport form too), I just called Careline and they told me that they couldn't see my application. They promised me that the embassy would call, but Abtran promised the same a few weeks back. I travel back to Manchester on June 29th. You'd have thought that if I had Fedexed my application on March 6th, I would have the passport by now wouldn't you?

Very concerned.
Mark
Ouch...3 months it does seem excessive. The embassy should pull their fingers out and make it easier for citizens to contact them.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taradem
Dean (British Consul) is very helpful, perhaps you could send him a message.
Alternatively, best thing you can do is get on to your MP in Britain and ask him or her to find out what is going on through the Foreign Office Minister.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok my timeline......
Jan 09 - Knew the kids passports were running out put on my things to do list. They have german ones too so what weigh up the prices and the inconvenience - German u have to go to washington and get fingerprints done, the british ones just fillout and send it...
Feb 09 - Put the paperwork in for my green card extension - the pound is up and down, the prices keep changing..kids passports put on the things to do list.
Mar 09 - Looked at a this site for "how to apply" for the passports. Kids telling me they are under no circumstances having their fotos done without the hair being done first. Hair gets done. No money for passports, Kids passports on the things to do list.
April 09 - kaskas birthday, money money money. What we doing for the summer break.Kaska wants to go to europe for the summer, kelly wants to go for two weeks... crap.. passports... Wasnt their a passport fee change? AHA pays to wait I am going to get them cheaper - kids passports on the things to do list.
May 09 - Oh crap - The things to do list still has the passport on it. Bugger British Expats are up in arms at delays, what delays? oh crap them delays, oh shite, oh crap, oh bugger.. the to do list is laughing at me!!
May 10th . send the passport application off, go to fedex forget the address, double crap, phone Bitch from Hell Number one. Please tell me the address that is on the table that I forogt, what paper? the paper on the table? what table? i swear by god if i could have put my hand down the phone and throttled her I would have. Fedex let me use the pc to find the address. Wrote address, Mrs Fedex looks at me and says what state is Washington dc in... is this a trick question? It must be, gotta be. No one is that bloody stupid..
May 20... decide to go into pc and track passports did they arrive? They did, may 13.
May 21, 22, 23, 24,25,26 check if money has gone out of credit card.No money out ... oh pissy pants.
May 28 - kids u might not be going on holiday. Kids - mama u %^&% up. now i would never admit to it.. but that to do list.... hmmm
Jun 3 Money has left the credit card. They have my money, must be a good sign, my moneys gone, no passports but the money has gone.
June 7 read on British expats from Dean and enquiery service. Fill out the form and press send.
June 8. Land in Detroit . Mr Sexy Voice (swoon) calls and tells me I need pics countersigned. They are countersigned .. no NOT FROM UR HUSBAND..i know he had a point but u know a girl got to do what a girls got to do. He is a cop doenst that make him an honest law abiding citizen?? The girls look the same.. no they dont look the same they were 10 and 12 when they had the pics done.. they look the same they do.. i know i live with them.. grrrr.. get the photos done and back to me ...ok submission.. He is right i am wrong.Drive 98 miles an hour on the highway. I swear if the cops had pulled me over i would have said Gerry told me to... : )
June 9 - Gerry calls.. oh let me go into my own quiet space to purr...... Tells me the passports will be sent out on 10 will arrive on 11..
June 10 - Passports arrive....

big BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU.

My to do list has been destroyed!!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

Lucky you! (Although I am sorry for your stress)

My update - I have just had a phonecall from a very lovely lady called Claire at the British Consulate in Ottawa. No promises but she has said she will get back to me today. As this really is the 11th hour now I do hope so.

I have also been in touch with Dean who remains hopeful but no sign as yet.
Good luck everyone!

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Ok my timeline......
Jan 09 - Knew the kids passports were running out put on my things to do list. They have german ones too so what weigh up the prices and the inconvenience - German u have to go to washington and get fingerprints done, the british ones just fillout and send it...
Feb 09 - Put the paperwork in for my green card extension - the pound is up and down, the prices keep changing..kids passports put on the things to do list.
Mar 09 - Looked at a this site for "how to apply" for the passports. Kids telling me they are under no circumstances having their fotos done without the hair being done first. Hair gets done. No money for passports, Kids passports on the things to do list.
April 09 - kaskas birthday, money money money. What we doing for the summer break.Kaska wants to go to europe for the summer, kelly wants to go for two weeks... crap.. passports... Wasnt their a passport fee change? AHA pays to wait I am going to get them cheaper - kids passports on the things to do list.
May 09 - Oh crap - The things to do list still has the passport on it. Bugger British Expats are up in arms at delays, what delays? oh crap them delays, oh shite, oh crap, oh bugger.. the to do list is laughing at me!!
May 10th . send the passport application off, go to fedex forget the address, double crap, phone Bitch from Hell Number one. Please tell me the address that is on the table that I forogt, what paper? the paper on the table? what table? i swear by god if i could have put my hand down the phone and throttled her I would have. Fedex let me use the pc to find the address. Wrote address, Mrs Fedex looks at me and says what state is Washington dc in... is this a trick question? It must be, gotta be. No one is that bloody stupid..
May 20... decide to go into pc and track passports did they arrive? They did, may 13.
May 21, 22, 23, 24,25,26 check if money has gone out of credit card.No money out ... oh pissy pants.
May 28 - kids u might not be going on holiday. Kids - mama u %^&% up. now i would never admit to it.. but that to do list.... hmmm
Jun 3 Money has left the credit card. They have my money, must be a good sign, my moneys gone, no passports but the money has gone.
June 7 read on British expats from Dean and enquiery service. Fill out the form and press send.
June 8. Land in Detroit . Mr Sexy Voice (swoon) calls and tells me I need pics countersigned. They are countersigned .. no NOT FROM UR HUSBAND..i know he had a point but u know a girl got to do what a girls got to do. He is a cop doenst that make him an honest law abiding citizen?? The girls look the same.. no they dont look the same they were 10 and 12 when they had the pics done.. they look the same they do.. i know i live with them.. grrrr.. get the photos done and back to me ...ok submission.. He is right i am wrong.Drive 98 miles an hour on the highway. I swear if the cops had pulled me over i would have said Gerry told me to... : )
June 9 - Gerry calls.. oh let me go into my own quiet space to purr...... Tells me the passports will be sent out on 10 will arrive on 11..
June 10 - Passports arrive....

big BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU.

My to do list has been destroyed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.