Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old May 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
LAS
Just Joined

LAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Homey
Well really panicing now! Travel on Tuesday and no passport! Sent application in about 4 weeks ago, before the processing time changed. They haven't even hit my credit card yet! Made several calls to the consulate here in Houston but not getting any answers.
Only travelling to Canada but with new rules going into effect June 1st not sure if green card will suffice to get us in and out?
FYI- for all you expats in Buffalo- there will be about 1400 Scots in Niagra next week at the Falls hotel, pop on over for a drink, then again maybe 1400 Scots is a reason to stay away, LOL.
Houston is my home consulate too - I could not get through their phone menu (some of the links are broken). I wrote to Dean (British Consul), he helped.
PS Sounds like a fun trip!
Old May 28th 2009, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Homey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LAS
Houston is my home consulate too - I could not get through their phone menu (some of the links are broken). I wrote to Dean (British Consul), he helped.
PS Sounds like a fun trip!
I got through their phone menu no problem, just follow the prompts for emergency passport, but was told I had little chance and they would see what they could do, still waiting. Hate to bother Dean, it seems he's running the country right now! I could have got an emergency passport if my trip had been to the UK, don't know where you're travelling to but that may be an option.
I just don't understand exactly what it is these consulates do...surely there can't be that many Brits in a day needing assistance?
Old May 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

suskil is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Passport Delays

Same, as everybody here. I checked the website and it said 10 business days, so I happily sent in for passport renewals, only to find out the processing time was 4-6 weeks, then 6 weeks. My spouses passport was still valid but since I was renewing the rest of the family anyway, I sent his in too. Since 6 weeks would be too late for my spouses business trip, I called Abtran one week after they'd been received by the embassy (4th may). No joy, not in system, says it's 6 weeks for sure but I could could call back at the end of May (10bucks). Called back one week later explaining that my spouse has an international conference to attend and to locate his valid passport and send it back. (He would renew in UK). Abtran took the Fedex tracking number and said they'd email to Embassy, but didn't hold up much hope as they're not replying!. May 18th - 23 bucks.

May 20th get VM from nice lady at the embassy stating that they'd 'located' our passports and were processing them urgently (Remember I'd only requested they send back my spouses valid passport.
Received passports May 22nd.

The Embassy rocks, Abtran - not so much - $2.60/min is outrageous

Good luck to everyone

Last edited by suskil; May 28th 2009 at 6:04 pm.
Old May 28th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Homey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suskil
Same, as everybody here. I checked the website and it said 10 business days, so I happily sent in for passport renewals, only to find out the processing time was 4-6 weeks, then 6 weeks. My spouses passport was still valid but since I was renewing the rest of the family anyway, I sent his in too. Since 6 weeks would be too late for my spouses business trip, I called Abtran one week after they'd been received by the embassy (4th may). No joy, not in system, says it's 6 weeks for sure but I could could call back at the end of May (10bucks). Called back one week later explaining that my spouse has an international conference to attend and to locate his valid passport and send it back. (He would renew in UK). Abtran took the Fedex tracking number and said they'd email to Embassy, but didn't hold up much hope as they're not replying!. May 18th - 23 bucks.

May 20th get VM from nice lady at the embassy stating that they'd 'located' our passports and were processing them urgently (Remember I'd only requested they send back my spouses valid passport.
Received passports May 22nd.

The Embassy rocks, Abtran - not so much - $2.60/min is outrageous

Good luck to everyone
Aaaaagrh! Just got a phone call from Houston consulate to say Washington have no record of my application!! It was signed for, the day after I mailed it, by them!
In true American style I will sue their a** for my flights and hotel if I don't have my sticky fingers on a nice new passport by Monday, I travel Tuesday.
Time to get US citizenship me thinks.
Old May 29th 2009, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

britwife123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aliandchris
I was thinking people could post their time frames on passport delays here. Currently the British Embassy in Washington is experiencing technical difficulties that make British passport changes horrendously slow.

If you've recently sent off your passport and have received it back, can you please post when you sent it, the date they took the payment, and when you received the passport.
I sent my passport application on March 27th and have not received my passport as of this date May 29th.

I wrote to the North American Passport Production Centre, British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle
Washington DC 20008-3611

I gave them my address and phone number and received a call from them today. My passport will go out in the next couple of days. I hope this helps those whose passports have still not arrived.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:58 am
Just Joined

CP2908 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi britwife

I too am still waiting. Can you let me know when the money was taken from your credit card (assuming that's how you paid)? Thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mainscow
Urgh. This doesn't make me happy. I sent my stuff in the first week in March, and I was told 10 days. They took my money about a week or so later. Still no passport. It will be June next week. I've spent $60 calling Abtran who promised me the Embassy would call but never did. $30 of the $60 was spent listening to Waterloo Sunset while I waited for someone to answer the phone. Disgusting.

And I'm still waiting. I'm going to go into the Consul in Boston later this week. Reading on here, it seems to have got things moving along.
We had sent my Husband's in on March 27th. I wrote to the North American Passport Production Centre, British Embassy, 19 Observatory Circle, Washington, DC 20008-3611 last week and I was stunned to receive a call back from them a couple of days ago. It came in as Unknown Caller so I was not meant to call them back. They will be sending his passport out UPS next week.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CP2908
Hi britwife

I too am still waiting. Can you let me know when the money was taken from your credit card (assuming that's how you paid)? Thanks!

I sent them a Money Order so I have no idea when they cashed it. I'm just excited that it will finally be sent.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

CP2908 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Fingers crossed that it will soon reach you.

I heard from the consulate today that my passport is in the final stages of processing and should be sent out in the next few days (hope so as I am supposed to be going on vacation on June 13th!)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CP2908
Thanks

Fingers crossed that it will soon reach you.

I heard from the consulate today that my passport is in the final stages of processing and should be sent out in the next few days (hope so as I am supposed to be going on vacation on June 13th!)
CP2908 -- I hope that we both bet our passports in the next few days. Have a great vacation.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

suskil is an unknown quantity at this point

My passports arrived 3 business days after the Embassy contacted me.

Good Luck
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

mainscow is an unknown quantity at this point

OK. So now Abtran is gone, and we have Careline. But the problem is that I don't have a phone where I can call a 900 number, and the website doesn't list a 1-800 number where I can use my credit card. Great. So now the only thing I can do is literally take a walk in my consulate.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suskil
My passports arrived 3 business days after the Embassy contacted me.

Good Luck
Thank you suskil. Bless you. Glad you received your Passport.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mainscow
OK. So now Abtran is gone, and we have Careline. But the problem is that I don't have a phone where I can call a 900 number, and the website doesn't list a 1-800 number where I can use my credit card. Great. So now the only thing I can do is literally take a walk in my consulate.
masinscow -- I heard that all Passport will be issued from from the British Embassy in Washington DC. Perhaps you could write to them. North American Passport Production Centre, British Embassy, 19 Observatory Circle, Washington DC 20008-3611. They do call you back. Best of luck.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:59 pm
LAS
Just Joined

LAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is my statistics: Mailed application 4 May. Called Abtran 19 May - nothing they could do ($28.60), it might be even longer than 6 weeks. Contacted Dean on 26 May to help, he did. Passport arrived 29 May.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.