Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Control

Passport Control

Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Control

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
What happened to the 60's maaannnn, one world, one love, citizens of Spaceship Earth on a wild comsmic journey, travelling and mixing at will?!?!?? Oh wait, that's right, it was a load of old hippy bullshit wasn't it. Sorry. I'll get me coat again
Is it a Kaftan coat?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Really? I have never found that to be the case. How can the airlines check your PP...they have nothing to do with Immigration?
when you check in for a flight, there cross check your passport number is valid and also make sure you got a visa etc its the airlines who have to fly you back if your refused. the airlines get fined if you arrived with incorrect docemnts(passports etc)
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref
when you check in for a flight, there cross check your passport number is valid and also make sure you got a visa etc its the airlines who have to fly you back if your refused. the airlines get fined if you arrived with incorrect docemnts(passports etc)
I know that...but's that's nothing to do with the job Immigration do. They are covering their own arses...'cos if you are sent back it's at their expense.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Well how do all those people who destroy their papers get in then? Apparently shed loads of paperwork ditched / shredded papaers are found at airports??
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

I know that...but's that's nothing to do with the job Immigration do. They are covering their own arses...'cos if you are sent back it's at their expense.
In a way the airlines are now doing a job for immgration there have a computer system that logs your passport to the flight so thery chack if your passports been stoped etc then that inofmation is live online and say your flying to uk us aus were every thery have a knowlege if your arriving and are wanted for someting, so im saying yes the airlines are doing the job for them at check in.

well half the job for them
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In a way the airlines are now doing a job for immgration there have a computer system that logs your passport to the flight so thery chack if your passports been stoped etc then that inofmation is live online and say your flying to uk us aus were every thery have a knowlege if your arriving and are wanted for someting, so im saying yes the airlines are doing the job for them at check in.

well half the job for them
Agreed...but at the end of the day the Immigration Officer has the last word.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Agreed...but at the end of the day the Immigration Officer has the last word.

Yes you are right.

And the airlines have covered there arses as well.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Adnams
Well how do all those people who destroy their papers get in then? Apparently shed loads of paperwork ditched / shredded papaers are found at airports??
I think thats more to do with if you got no paperwork then you are classed as a stateless person so there cant send you back or deport you until there can prove you are a citizen of a another place.

And i guess there walk around the airport like tom hanks waiting to get in lol
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I think thats more to do with if you got no paperwork then you are classed as a stateless person so there cant send you back or deport you until there can prove you are a citizen of a another place.

And i guess there walk around the airport like tom hanks waiting to get in lol
Well if they have to check to let you on the plane then they should keep the records when someone tries to falsely claim.
Yes it is immigration control by proxy but they seem (the airlines) to have better databases than the UK Govt.
Uk govt saying today that they wont have fully integrated all the immigration, police etc etc databses until 2014, crazy slackness!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:47 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Might have something to do with the story playing all day on BBC World service about UK personnel not checking passports against the giant INTERPOL stolen passport database. Stats they gave were Sweden sends 300,000 querys a month against the database, UK sends 50. The also had a woman on who had entered the UK with a stolen/ forged passport several times and was undetected. I'll see if I can find a link.

Try this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070901758.html

If not google: Interpol U.K. passports

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 11th 2007 at 3:51 am.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Might have something to do with the story playing all day on BBC World service about UK personnel not checking passports against the giant INTERPOL stolen passport database. Stats they gave were Sweden sends 300,000 querys a month against the database, UK sends 50. The also had a woman on who had entered the UK with a stolen/ forged passport several times and was undetected. I'll see if I can find a link.

A good read and a good point.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never, an American tuned in to the BBC World service
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:26 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well I never, an American tuned in to the BBC World service

3 hrs a day during my commute. It's like NPR with accents.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

3 hrs a day during my commute. It's like NPR with accents.
Come now! Its better than NPR surely??? Sorry guess I am biased but couldnt live without the beeb and it has so much more international stuff on it than NPR. Sorry if that offends but I gotta support the beeb havent I? being a Brit and all that. Glad you like it too.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scarey scarey scarey. Another example of useless UK govt shilly shallying around. makes my blood boil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.