Reload this Page >

Passport Confusion

Passport Confusion

Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

stoffmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Confusion

Hi Guys,

So I have read the threads and done a search for renewing my passport (which expires in January), but still a little confused. On this page:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/how-to-apply

It says:

Applying for a passport overseas
If you are a UK citizen, you can apply for a UK passport at the nearest British Passport Processing Centre.
It then says:

Passport applications must be made through the UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean.
So which is it? I am based in New York and would love to be able to go to Washington to physically get a passport. The alternative seems to suggest I will be without a passport for 4 weeks, which is not ideal given the health of some family members. Understand I can get an Emergency passport if needed but just want to confirm that the only way to get a passport renewed is via this form?

Many Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Confusion

The UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean is the nearest British Passport Processing Centre. Unless you go back to the UK and renew it there with the super fast processing then your only options are the US based ones.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you search Dean's posts you will find info about applying for an emergency UK PP.

IMO send your PP, applicable form etc to DC to be renewed and hope that it will be returned before an emergency happens in the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just FYI - the website says it aims to get passports back to you within 4 weeks of the money being taken. Earlier this year people were wiating months for the money to get taken but we sent in a renewal 1-2 weeks ago and had the money taken within the week so they look like they are back on top of them now.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

stoffmin is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - an added element to my situation. I am due to go to Italy in December for work. That is roughly 8 weeks away, is it better to apply now and hope they get it back before December, or wait until after Italy and then apply?

Very concerned if they cannot get it back within the 4 week time frame!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoffmin
OK - an added element to my situation. I am due to go to Italy in December for work. That is roughly 8 weeks away, is it better to apply now and hope they get it back before December, or wait until after Italy and then apply?

if it were me id do it now. - but double check and triple check the form and photos so minimum chance of it coming back for a mistake.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

Just renewed mine, Took 12 days for my new one to arrive.

Scouser
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have travel booked for December send a copy of the confirmed itinerary with your application - this should speed up the renewal if there is any chance of delayed processing.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stoffmin

I would do it now too. Don't you need a couple of months left on a passport to travel?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
I would do it now too. Don't you need a couple of months left on a passport to travel?
No...but I agree he should get it renewed asap.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

just wanted to add the renewed passport arrived today (it was sent off sometime in the first week of October - so less than 3 weeks door to door.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:49 pm
jcj
Just Joined

jcj is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have to send you current ORIGINAL passport with the application?

I need to renew a child's passport, which has two other Visas (including USA) on it, which I want to reuse even after getting the new passport.
So, I am hoping that sending a copy of the current passport is sufficient?

Information on this page is not clear.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-passport-usa/

First it says:

"To apply for a UK passport you must submit:
-your previous passport"

then on the same page it says
"Warning: If you are sending a photocopy of your passport, unless requested in your application your current passport will automatically be cancelled on the issuing of your new passport. You should therefore not undertake any cross border journey until you have received your new passport. To travel before this could leave your stranded in another country."
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jcj
Do you have to send you current ORIGINAL passport with the application?

I need to renew a child's passport, which has two other Visas (including USA) on it, which I want to reuse even after getting the new passport.
So, I am hoping that sending a copy of the current passport is sufficient?

Information on this page is not clear.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-passport-usa/

First it says:

"To apply for a UK passport you must submit:
-your previous passport"

then on the same page it says
"Warning: If you are sending a photocopy of your passport, unless requested in your application your current passport will automatically be cancelled on the issuing of your new passport. You should therefore not undertake any cross border journey until you have received your new passport. To travel before this could leave your stranded in another country."
To renew a UK PP you must send the previous one to have it invalidated...it will be sent back to you with the new PP. If the old one contains visas then when you travel you carry both the current PP and the one containing the visa/s.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:06 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

they cut a large corner off the cover of the passport when they invalidate it - but dont harm the visas inside - so you need to carry the old one with the visas in alongside the new valid passport. if you dont return the current passport it may delay the application as they might treat it as 'lost' and do extra checks?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Might be worth mentioning that it's got visas inside and ask them politely not to cut or damage those - just to be on the safe side. Most countries don't take very kindly to people showing up with visas that have been damaged when the passport was invalidated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.