Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport for a baby

Passport for a baby

Old Jan 20th 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport for a baby

Hi all,

I'm sure this will have been covered but I've searched and couldn't find the answers.

I'm English, my wife is American and we live in Florida. We're thinking about going back to the UK for 2 weeks at the end of March.

I assume I need a passport for my 3 month old. Do I just go through the application process for a new one for him, and get photos? I wondered if with him being so young, there was something else that was done seeing as he won't look like he does now for very long.

Also, because he's the son of an Englishman, does he automatically get a British passport or do I need to do something special?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 20th 2016, 6:53 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for a baby

Both of my girls travelled as babies - the passport process is exactly the same, but it needs to be renewed after 5 years (yep, they travel as 4yr olds with their baby passport photo - lol!). Both parents need to be present for the application, which you should be able to do at your local post office. If you can't both be there, there's a form you can submit instead but it needs to be notarised.

He's automatically a British citizen and you can apply for a British passport as well, but I haven't done this for my girls so can't tell you precisely what you need to do. It's something that is on my list of things to do within the not too distant future, but it hasn't really been necessary yet, since they can easily travel to the UK on their US passports.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the child was born in the US they must use a US passport. No point getting a UK one until at least 16.

Assuming you are able to pass on British citizenship then he is automatically. You may want to register the birth to get a permanent record (british birth certificate essentially). https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both.

I looked into registering the birth but money is tight at the moment and I remember reading on here that its not an essential thing to do.

I guess I'll explore the avenues for getting a US passport then.

Thanks again
Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just a brief visit then a US passport will suffice. Maintaining both passports is not essential unless you are making a permanent move back to the UK.

Registering the birth, even if you don't get the certificate at the same time, however is a wise move to future-proof your son's British citizenship. It's only £9.25 to order the certificate from the GRO if you require it at a later date.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

There's a passport application acceptance facility search here:

https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

In addition to post offices, you might also be able to use other government facilities such as the local town/city hall or court. Appointments are usually necessary.

I use my local city hall as it is much less busy and much more comfortable (they have soft chairs to sit on and deal with you at a private desk) than using my local post office.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If it's just a brief visit then a US passport will suffice. Maintaining both passports is not essential unless you are making a permanent move back to the UK.

Registering the birth, even if you don't get the certificate at the same time, however is a wise move to future-proof your son's British citizenship. It's only £9.25 to order the certificate from the GRO if you require it at a later date.
9.25??? I'd do it in a second if I could for that price. What site would I do it through? Whenever I've looked before it was over 250quid.

Thank you MarylandNed, thats a great link and very helpful
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
9.25??? I'd do it in a second if I could for that price. What site would I do it through? Whenever I've looked before it was over 250quid.
You would still have to start here to register the birth:

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

It's £105 just to register. You don't even get a birth cert for this fee - you have to pay an extra £65 for that. You also have to pay postage fees on top.

However, you can just register (without ordering the £65 birth cert), then wait until the GRO records are updated (usually sometime in the calendar year following the year of registration) and get the much cheaper GRO birth cert by applying here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

When ordering, you are asked for year of birth registration. Please note this is NOT necessarily the year that the child was born - it's the year the birth was registered with the UK authorities. For some reason they need to know this year to initiate a search of their records. They must have an appalling system.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 21st 2016 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You would still have to start here to register the birth:

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

It's £105 just to register. You don't even get a birth cert for this fee - you have to pay an extra £65 for that. You also have to pay postage fees on top.

However, you can just register (without ordering the £65 birth cert), then wait until the GRO records are updated (usually sometime in the calendar year following the year of registration) and get the much cheaper GRO birth cert by applying here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

When ordering, you are asked for year of birth registration. Please note this is NOT necessarily the year that the child was born - it's the year the birth was registered with the UK authorities. For some reason they need to know this year to initiate a search of their records. They must have an appalling system.
Ahh, I thought this was the case. I'll hold off doing it as it's not necessary and funds are tight at the moment.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Ahh, I thought this was the case. I'll hold off doing it as it's not necessary and funds are tight at the moment.
I held off for 13 years! Finally decided that it made sense for my daughter.