British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-760639/)

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:23 pm

passport

Hello I am a UK citizen permanent resident in AZ. I have two questions. my son was born here and I have been here for 30 years. I hold a british passport and I heard I could get my son a british passport. I have already got him a US one. Is there a way to get him a british one? also mine expired in 1995. yes a long time ago i have never been back to visit but i am going to in the next year. Do i renew mine or do i have to apply for one?
I appreciate any feedback possible

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 7:35 pm

Re: passport

Originally Posted by janine74 (Post 10099830)
Hello I am a UK citizen permanent resident in AZ. I have two questions. my son was born here and I have been here for 30 years. I hold a british passport and I heard I could get my son a british passport. I have already got him a US one. Is there a way to get him a british one? also mine expired in 1995. yes a long time ago i have never been back to visit but i am going to in the next year. Do i renew mine or do i have to apply for one?
I appreciate any feedback possible

Hello and welcome to BE.

Are you a UK citizen or a UK citizen by descent? If you are not a UKC by descent then depending on the year your son was born...he may be a UKC by descent. Please provide the on the above information to assist us in helping you.

You can renew your UK passport...I presume you still have your old UK PP...it should be sent with the application form and fee.

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:40 pm

no i was born in manchester. came here when i was 8 i am 38 and have held my GC for the thirty years because i would like to move back there someday. but i am wondering since my son has a US passport already would that affect the ability to have a UK one now? and how would i do it?
thanks!:D

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by janine74 (Post 10099841)
no i was born in manchester. came here when i was 8 i am 38 and have held my GC for the thirty years because i would like to move back there someday. but i am wondering since my son has a US passport already would that affect the ability to have a UK one now? and how would i do it?
thanks!:D

Sounds like your son is a dual US/UK citizen. As your son is a USC why don't you apply for US citizenship? You would then have dual US/UK citizenship...which would leave the door open for you to return to the US if you did go back to live in the UK.

How old is your son? Did you record his birth with the UK Embassy?

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:48 pm

no i was young when i had him..21..... how do i record his birth? i didnt think that i could have dual citizenship. i had my greencard since 1982 so i didnt think i can become a US citizen because i had a child.:confused:

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by janine74 (Post 10099862)
no i was young when i had him..21..... how do i record his birth? i didnt think that i could have dual citizenship. i had my greencard since 1982 so i didnt think i can become a US citizen because i had a child.:confused:

Yes you can have dual US/UK citizenship. I don't quite understand what you mean about having a child...but having a child makes no difference to whether you can become a USC.

fatbrit Jun 4th 2012 7:51 pm

There are some major misconceptions here. Time for your primer:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/#Intro

And welcome, BTW. You'll find plenty of Arizonians on this board.

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:52 pm

what i meant was. i didnt have a child to become a resident of the states. I already had my greencard. how do you become a us citizen just because you have a child? i didnt know that was possible? so can you point me in the right direction? i really want my son to have a uk passport. is that still possible as he has a US one?

Mummy in the foothills Jun 4th 2012 7:54 pm

You can be a dual citizen lots of us are, and you can still move back or visit UK as much as you want too, so can your child.

md95065 Jun 4th 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, there is no problem with someone having dual US/UK citizenship.

Since you have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years and appear to have resided continuously in the US you are eligible to apply for US citizenship in your own right.

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by janine74 (Post 10099872)
what i meant was. i didnt have a child to become a resident of the states. I already had my greencard. how do you become a us citizen just because you have a child? i didnt know that was possible? so can you point me in the right direction? i really want my son to have a uk passport. is that still possible as he has a US one?

You misunderstand...your child has nothing to do with your status in the US. As you have held a GC for over 5 years you can apply to become a USC.

Sorry I don't know the process for applying for a UK PP for your son as you don't seem to have registered his birth with the UK Embassy. I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can help you though.

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:56 pm

i really just want my son to have a british passport or dual. but i dont know how to do it as i have already got him a US one and i am wondering if that affects things
thanks

janine74 Jun 4th 2012 7:56 pm

Can i still register his birth? at the time i didnt know i could do that

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by janine74 (Post 10099880)
i really just want my son to have a british passport or dual. but i dont know how to do it as i have already got him a US one and i am wondering if that affects things
thanks

Having a US PP does not affect your son's British status.

Trixie_b Jun 4th 2012 7:57 pm

OK. If you apply to become a citizen of the USA, you do not relinquish your british.

Your son is American, and probably British (by descent) too. (meaning, he wont pass his britishness to any children he has, unless they are born in the UK or to a British mother)