Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passing NJ Driving theory test

Passing NJ Driving theory test

Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passing NJ Driving theory test

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Thanks you soon much this is great advice! And really scary too!! to be fair manchester drivers tick all those boxes so I am used to a fair number of terrible drivers on the road!
I am on an L2 like you so I will remember that about making sure my husband (or L1 as I might start calling him now!) with me. The long eye blinky thing is hilarious!! where about do you live then with all these cray cray drivers?!

Jo
Im further north in Mountain Lakes (right next to Parsippany) the crazy drivers aren't limited to by me, they are state wide. Drove a friend back to the airport last week and was nearly taken out twice. Although you are supposed to keep right except for passing many people undertake and a boy racer cut between me and a car on my right when there was no gap there. I recently joined a facebook group about traffic and accidents and am amazed how many there are daily.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Im further north in Mountain Lakes (right next to Parsippany) the crazy drivers aren't limited to by me, they are state wide. Drove a friend back to the airport last week and was nearly taken out twice. Although you are supposed to keep right except for passing many people undertake and a boy racer cut between me and a car on my right when there was no gap there. I recently joined a facebook group about traffic and accidents and am amazed how many there are daily.
While driving down a dual carriage way down The Shore...a woman pulled out of a side road to turn left. She stopped the Suburban when it was at right across the 2 lanes. Despite several cars honking at her...she continued to apply mascara.

While driving down I-95 in Florida a young girl passed us on the inside. She had her left leg out if window and was on the phone.

In a car park in East Hanover I saw a man using a white stick walk to his car...and drive away.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
I'm further north in Mountain Lakes (right next to Parsippany) the crazy drivers aren't limited to by me, they are state country wide. .....
FIFY.
There are a lot of people here in NC who have come from other states, and they consistently complain about how bad the drivers are here. ..... I don't think NC drivers are worse than anywhere else - everywhere I go in the US the standard of driving is atrocious!

I have seen some scary things here in NC over the years - worse than I mentioned earlier. Such as a women driving an SUV at 50mph in rush hour traffic on the interstate, on a fairly sharp curve, where the lanes are the legal minimum acceptable width ..... eating a bowl of cereal, with a spoon! And a young woman who was drugged or drunk, driving a Honda Accord with the drivers seat partially reclined, doing 60mph on the interstate, weaving on and off the paved road, and at one time doing 60mph on the grass median (central reservation)!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A common occurrence in NJ is people who miss the exit on the interstate. They make a sharp right onto the hard shoulder...then quickly reverse back to the exit. I’ve also seen trucks and coaches doing the same.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

A common occurrence in NJ is people who miss the exit on the interstate. They make a sharp right onto the hard shoulder...then quickly reverse back to the exit. I’ve also seen trucks and coaches doing the same.

A guy undertook me...using the hard shoulder to do so. He was reading a book that was spread across the steering wheel.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A guy undertook me...using the hard shoulder to do so. He was reading a book that was spread across the steering wheel.
Revising for the theory test?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
That's a new expression for these Yankee ears: Revising for the theory test.

I've seen it several times in this thread and thought in Yank speak it would read: Reviewing for the theory test. Revising means to change something. At least in my individual part of world. Ahhh the differences of our languages
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Manspreading.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.... I've seen it several times in this thread and thought in Yank speak it would read: Reviewing for the theory test. Revising means to change something. ..mm
It's etymological root means "to look again". In the UK it has both uses - I would revise a document that was out of date, or that need corrections, but I would also revise my notes and text books before an exam.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard of any one reviewing for an exam, you revise.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it several times in this thread and thought in Yank speak it would read: Reviewing for the theory test. Revising means to change something. At least in my individual part of world. Ahhh the differences of our languages
Divided by a common language! In the UK it is common to say that one is revising before an examination. Going back over the work that one has previously studied to ensure one remembers it all!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Brits usually refer to revising for an exam/test.

“British. to review (previously studied materials) in preparation for an examination.”
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Curious now. Does the British language have the word 'review' and if so, what, where and how is it used?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:13 pm

Curious now. Does the British language have the word 'review' and if so, what, where and how is it used?
Yup, it can be used any where that "revise" is used (but for swatting for exams or checking for updates and corrections "revise" is more usual).

Review is (in the UK) less specific/ more general, but would be used for rereading a document not for the purposes of taking an exam. It may also be a group activity - "the committee reviewed the policy document". IMO it also covers an instructor-led activity - "the manager reviewed the guidance with his staff."
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:29 pm
Concierge

Not to beat the dead horse but in my former career endeavors I would review (read and analyze) a document and make any revisions I felt were required.

As said - common language with major differences. Interesting how one language has evolved. Imagine, and know first hand, how it has evolved in Canada, as well as between provinces. Just as each State in the US has different uses and meanings to the same phrases and/or words.

Still laugh that in Canada being 'pissed' means being drunk.

In the US being 'pissed' means being angry.

Fun ain't it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.