Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passed my driving test today!

Passed my driving test today!

Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

ledrox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passed my driving test today!

how long it took you from start to end?
Led
Old Oct 13th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ledrox
how long it took you from start to end?
Led
which bit? The test itself is like 10m and so easy, knowing what I do now I’d probably just have turned up and done it.

the way the test works, you arrive and get in a queue for the next instructor, so there can be a little waiting, so maybe 30-45 mins total.

there was some delay getting a test date too. Somewhere busy like NY I’d allow a month unless you don’t mind travelling far, to which ever test center gets a cancellation.

I did 3 lessons, spread lazily over about a month, plus my first test date was cancelled due to snow so end to end it was about 6-8 weeks, but as I say the test is literally 10mins and really so basic and easy, you could be all done in 20mins on a good day.

Last edited by LouisB; Oct 13th 2018 at 6:58 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouisB

which bit? The test itself is like 10m and so easy, knowing what I do now I’d probably just have turned up and done it.

the way the test works, you arrive and get in a queue for the next instructor, so there can be a little waiting, so maybe 30-45 mins total.

there was some delay getting a test date too. Somewhere busy like NY I’d allow a month unless you don’t mind travelling far, to which ever test center gets a cancellation.

I did 3 lessons, spread lazily over about a month, plus my first test date was cancelled due to snow so end to end it was about 6-8 weeks, but as I say the test is literally 10mins and really so basic and easy, you could be all done in 20mins on a good day.
apologies..I will be moving soon to the USA and I was wondering how long it takes to get a driving license including theory test (if any) and driving test. In essence from day 1 I move to the USA when it is realistic I can drive
Thank you
Led
Old Oct 13th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

apologies..I will be moving soon to the USA and I was wondering how long it takes to get a driving license including theory test (if any) and driving test. In essence from day 1 I move to the USA when it is realistic I can drive
Thank you
Led
i see, well assuming you already know it all already then it’s really just procedural, waiting for a test booking and attending the pre-license (1/2 a day or so), so if you were lucky maybe a week or two but I’d allow a month under normal circumstances, guess it depends where exactly you are and how lucky you are...
Old Oct 14th 2018, 12:58 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ledrox;12577123]apologies..I will be moving soon to the USA and I was wondering how long it takes to get a driving license including theory test (if any) and driving test. In essence from day 1 I move to the USA when it is realistic I can drive
Thank you
Led[/QUOT
licenses are issued by each State and they all have different rules.
Which State are you moving to?
Old Oct 14th 2018, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=petitefrancaise;12577193]
Thank you
Led[/QUOT
licenses are issued by each State and they all have different rules.
Which State are you moving to?
Louisiana
Old Oct 14th 2018, 4:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

here is the link to the Louisiana regulations:

https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/faqs/dl_q2.aspx
please note do NOT use dmv.org ( it is not the official website for any state).
Louisiana only has reciprocal agreements with Switzerland and Germany, so you cannot just exchange a UK license for and LA one. You will in effect be applying for a "learner's permit"

This is in more detail for your Class E.
https://www.powerdms.com/public/LADPSC/documents/364295

Assuming you are over 18 "If the applicant is eighteen (18) year of age or older, he must provide written evidence of the successful completion of an approved six (6) hour "pre-licensing" training course in addition to completion of an eight (8) hour behind-the-wheel instruction course which was approved by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections."
There does not appear to be a mimimum residency requirement - if you can prove residency/immigration status/have completed the 6 hours/8hours behind the wheel then it looks like you are good to go.
I don't which visa you will be applying for to reside in the USA but here is the list of which documents are needed to prove immigration status
https://www.powerdms.com/public/LADPSC/documents/368156
Old Oct 14th 2018, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
here is the link to the Louisiana regulations:

https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/faqs/dl_q2.aspx
please note do NOT use dmv.org ( it is not the official website for any state).
Louisiana only has reciprocal agreements with Switzerland and Germany, so you cannot just exchange a UK license for and LA one. You will in effect be applying for a "learner's permit"

This is in more detail for your Class E.
https://www.powerdms.com/public/LADPSC/documents/364295

Assuming you are over 18 "If the applicant is eighteen (18) year of age or older, he must provide written evidence of the successful completion of an approved six (6) hour "pre-licensing" training course in addition to completion of an eight (8) hour behind-the-wheel instruction course which was approved by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections."
There does not appear to be a mimimum residency requirement - if you can prove residency/immigration status/have completed the 6 hours/8hours behind the wheel then it looks like you are good to go.
I don't which visa you will be applying for to reside in the USA but here is the list of which documents are needed to prove immigration status
https://www.powerdms.com/public/LADPSC/documents/368156
thank you very much Petite this is very useful!
Les
Old Oct 14th 2018, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ledrox;12577233]
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Louisiana
My appologies, I initially assumed you were talking about NY. The USA is a big place!

Good luck!
Old Oct 26th 2018, 9:55 am
Just Joined

badgb21 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can drive immediately, say a rental on your UK licence (assuming you have one) on arrival.
From my experience moving to MA, from what I remember you need a soc sec number first (2-3 weeks)
Then do theory driving test, followed by test.
Theory - fairly easy if you are already a driver, but swat up on US/state rules, e.g how long does a 17yr old get for drag racing? - Yep, I got that one!
Test - I has a couple of lessons, to know what to expect and how to pass. We drove the actual route a few times and I got a few tips.
Month or two all in I guess.
You need a soc sec number to register a car if you buy one.
Getting insurance on uk licence is possible, just need to shop around. much easier with US licence.

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Thank you
Led

Last edited by badgb21; Oct 26th 2018 at 9:58 am.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BigK
To fail a drivers test in America twice takes a special kind of stupid
When I passed my car license in CA back in '97 you were good as long as you didn't crash into anything! My test was so short and easy that I couldn't believe it was over so quickly, I was waiting for the next part to begin.

Not sure that many Americans would do well on a UK driving test, pretty sure my wife would be a repeat-taker....