Reload this Page >

Passed GDL and LPC, want to take NY Bar Exam

Passed GDL and LPC, want to take NY Bar Exam

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

HertfordshiretoLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passed GDL and LPC, want to take NY Bar Exam

Hi All:

This is my first time on the site. I have been living in NY for almost three years, working first as an intern in a Manhattan law firm and then as a Paralegal in the same firm.

Before I left the UK I passed the GDL and the LPC, both at BPP Law School. I want to take the NY Bar, but when I wrote to the NY Bar Association to request an evaluation of my foreign academic credentials they informed me that I would have to take the 3 year-long Juris Doctor (JD). I really don't want to have to do this, the expense and time involved would be immense and I can't justify it to myself. I already have the GDL, LPC and experience in a US law firm and I think I would find it very dull to study what would essentially be the same subjects for the second time. My question is: have any members been successful in getting around the rules, ie. managed to get approval to take the NY Bar on the strength of the GDL and LPC only?

Any advice would be very very much appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you.

NB. I am married to an American and I have a US green card.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed GDL and LPC, want to take NY Bar Exam

I think there is some info for you inside this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531066
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You are really going to need at least your LLB, and then you can take a 1 year LLM (with certain requirements) here in the US. Then you can take the bar in NY. NY is considered rather lenient in that they allow foreign educated folks to sit for the bar (most states do not). I think to get an LLB after the credentials you already have might not be as tough as you think.

But even then, you are a foreign attorney without a JD and just an LLM. You won't have people breaking down doors to hire you.

Some states used to have an apprentice program, such as in Washington state, where you can work your way upto the bar, but then again, you're in the same boat afterwards of not having a JD and being rather suspect come hiring time

(http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/s...08/focus2.html)

From Wikipedia:

Eligibility to Practice Law in the U.S. with Foreign Credentials

Foreign law graduates seeking admission to the bar in the United States may find their LL.B. law degree fulfills core admission requirements and allows them to take the bar exam. For example, New York permits holders of University of Oxford and University of Cambridge B.A. in Jurisprudence/Law and University of London LL.B. (excluding degrees earned through the External Programme) to take the bar, and both New York and Massachusetts permit Canadian LL.B. holders to take the bar. The requirements of each of the states procedures vary and interested applicants should seek specific advice.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I had the same problem as the OP in that I'm going to be living in the states and wanted to carry on with a career in law. I enquired at a couple of places in the states and they advised me that while they recognise the l.l.b they didn't have any clue really what the gdl was. Hence, I'm in the process of converting my b.s.c to an l.l.b.

Unfortunately I think you will find the only way around it is to either
a) Get an l.l.b then get you l.l.m (or alternately with the l.l.b you can get a j.d in 2 yrs). The only prob here is I guess you have to be in the UK to get the l.l.b unless you come across some sort of distance learning program.
b) Go for the 3 year J.d > probably better job prospects plus if you are in NY there are some top law schools at your doorstep.

Sophie
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
I enquired at a couple of places in the states and they advised me that while they recognise the l.l.b they didn't have any clue really what the gdl was.
FWIW, I'm an attorney married to an attorney who did the LLB-LLM (and then a 2 year JD) and I didn't have a clue what a GDL was. I had to look it up.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Ooooo Penguinsix, your wife did the l.l.b/l.l.m then two yeard j.d? I've been searching all over the place to try and find someone who has done the l.l.b then the j.d as it is what I am going to have to do in a year or so.

Just a quick question, how easy did she find the application process to law schools, i.e did they look favourably on her for already having a law degree?! I'm worried that when I apply they will see that I already have a law degree from the UK and therefore think I'm a nutter for wanting to go through it all again in the U.S

Also you said she did the 2 year j.d, do you know if many schools offer this as so far I have only found two; Nortwestern and the University of Kansas

Thanks

Sophie
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:17 pm

The fact she did an LLM at the school (Notre Dame) first was a consideration in allowing her to do a 2 year JD.

Admissions folk don't look at it as a nutter, in fact, it's kind of common. I'd say we had 4 or 5 people with foreign degrees taking some classes.

My recommendation would be to find schools with strong LLM programs, especially for International students. The admissions committee there would be more in touch with foreign qualifications than say Fred's house of Law and Auto Repair University.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey thanks for advice

And oh wow, Notre Dame that is excellent! It is actually my first choice (with Wash U in St Louis being by second) as my fiance lives between the two and wants to go there for grad school.

I'm actually visiting the school this summer to have a look around then after I just have to pray for good LSAT in the hope that they will let me in
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:35 pm

Notre Dame is fun. South Bend is not. One advantage of going to ND for a JD program is that you can do the first year summer and the full second year at the London campus (which a number of students opt to do) in case you are missing the UK.

Of course it is very Catholic. Single-sex dorms, no visitors of the opposite sex after midnight (seriously). You might consider getting married before you go to school there.

If you go to visit, try to schedule a meeting with the admissions officer but also try to schedule a meeting with the director of International students. He was a classmate of mine at law school and worked in the US foreign service before heading back to help the International student navigate the immigration and admissions adventure. He might be a good resource to chat with.

http://issa.nd.edu/
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Single-sex dorms, no visitors of the opposite sex after midnight (seriously).

Yikes! Sounds like boarding school and wildly different to what I'm used to at Uni in the UK Luckily will be married when attend

Thanks for the info on ND and I will definitely get in contact with the director of international students before I go visit and I look forward to seeing the school (and South Bend).
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm
An.
Just Joined

An. is an unknown quantity at this point

HertfordshiretoLongIsland, if you have spent 3 years working in a legal capacity and have done the LPC, you can probably qualify as a UK solicitor now. Then maybe look into working as an English lawyer in NY at a US firm with a London/UK office -? There are a few requirements to qualify but I think you'll meet them just fine. If you're interested I'll bother to post further info.

Also, what was your undergrad? I gather it wasn't a qualifying law degree as you took the CPE but if you have any law modules/ study this may reduce the amount of credits you may have to take. I didn't do an LLB but a BA Law with Politics (I choose in my 3rd year to make it a qualifying law degree) which was deemed sufficient enough to take the NY bar exam. Schools such as NYU do specific courses to make up the credits so foreigners can take the exam.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HertfordshiretoLongIsland

I wrote to the NY Bar Association to request an evaluation of my foreign academic credentials they informed me that I would have to take the 3 year-long Juris Doctor (JD). I really don't want to have to do this, the expense and time involved would be immense and I can't justify it to myself. I already have the GDL, LPC and experience in a US law firm and I think I would find it very dull to study what would essentially be the same subjects for the second time. My question is: have any members been successful in getting around the rules, ie. managed to get approval to take the NY Bar

Any advice would be very very much appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you.

NB. I am married to an American and I have a US green card.
Some years ago I was driving down NY50 near Saratoga and came up on a load of signs saying "Congratulations Julie ! passed the bar"
At the end of the row of signs 3 people were putting a few more up, I slowed down and said "Well done ... I passed it too, but I don't think I will be able to get back without calling in for a beer"
The folks just looked stunned
Americans don't have a sense of humour