British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Partial refunds from Removal Companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/partial-refunds-removal-companies-828146/)

Marc_ely Mar 10th 2014 9:52 pm

Partial refunds from Removal Companies

Our stuff finally arrived late last week - it took 2 months to come from Cambridgeshire to California. I have never been so pleased to see a proper bed.

We used Pickfords in the UK and we had some issues on the packing days. We weren't too impressed with the packing side of things. The details are in another thread somewhere.

The pleasure of seeing our stuff once again was muted by a disappointment though. The 20' container was almost 25% EMPTY. There was nearly 5 feet in length available for stuff. This was a surprise as we saw their estimator not one, but twice and both times he said "it would be tight".
It would seem the estimator was pretty wrong and we had to get rid of loads of things that I am now replacing etc.
I have asked for a partial refund and they have come back with an offer of 308 pounds. When you consider the overall price was about 6000 pounds this doesn't seem too good a deal to me.

However before I knock my head against the wall by trying to bargain has anyone else ever managed to get a partial refund on removals when they have messed up, or am I treading new ground here?

Pulaski Mar 10th 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Partial refunds from Removal Companies

They took your stuff and delivered it to the agreed address in the US. I am not sure what I am missing, but it sounds like they did what they were paid to do. So, you didn't bring some things that you had wanted to, but it doesn't sound like much of an actual loss so IMHO the £308 sounds generous.

Bob Mar 10th 2014 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11167003)
They took your stuff and delivered it to the agreed address in the US. I am not sure what I am missing, but it sounds like they did what they were paid to do. So, you didn't bring some things that you had wanted to, but it doesn't sound like much of an actual loss so IMHO the £308 sounds generous.

Yes, because an estimate is only that, so getting anything back is a bonus.

steveq Mar 10th 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 11166948)
It would seem the estimator was pretty wrong and we had to get rid of loads of things that I am now replacing etc.

Perhaps that's why you have to get a quote and not an estimate ? The quote is binding for the services they commit to, the estimate is not.

Zez Mar 11th 2014 12:41 am

Ours was also a 75% full container....paying for a full container was no more expensive and more convenient than if we had gone for part loads. I'm afraid that we didn't get a penny pack so any money is a good deal!

Are you from Ely? We're from v nearby; Downham Market

RICH Mar 11th 2014 4:40 am

Sounds like you want compensation for stuff you sold instead of shipping.

You will fit in well here.