Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Parking violation on sold car.

Parking violation on sold car.

Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Parking violation on sold car.

HI
Well we're finally getting to normal sleep patterns having moved back to the UK and enjoying catching up with people here.
This morning Mom has emailed a scan of a parking violation for my truck which i sold back in June.
It is dated after the sale. I mailed in the section of the pink slip.
It was about a week after the sale. Will DMV eventually process this OK or should I take action?
Thing is I can't remember the guys full name and don't have any other records.

Should I worry about this or not?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:04 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking violation on sold car.

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
HI
Well we're finally getting to normal sleep patterns having moved back to the UK and enjoying catching up with people here.
This morning Mom has emailed a scan of a parking violation for my truck which i sold back in June.
It was about a week after the sale. Will DMV eventually process this OK or should I take action?

Thanks in advance.
glad you're having a good time back home.

Personally, I wouldn't let this one slide by. Basically, its been over 3 weeks and the guy hasn't gone in to get temp tags and is driving around with your old plates.... so, what happens if the truck is involved in something more serious than a ticket?

Did you not make a bill of sale? I would somehow contact the dmv to clear this up.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you moved from California? In California, you are required to file a "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" within 5 days. Go here and scroll down for more information. Filing this releases your liability. Not sure what happens if you didn't file that.

Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I sent in the paper required. I'm assuming the ticket was within too close a time for DMV updates.
However a suitable interval has since passed so why the chase up ticket being sent ot my old address???
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:00 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Cali, but in Michigan, if you don't go with the buyer to the DMV to transfer the title, you are legally required to keep evidence of said transfer (i.e a bill of sale) for 18 months.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you are settling back in ok, sorry about the ticket issue...I am so jealous of your location, it's probably our most favorite place in the whole of the UK
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent in the paper required. I'm assuming the ticket was within too close a time for DMV updates.
However a suitable interval has since passed so why the chase up ticket being sent ot my old address???
You will want to call the DMV and inquire if they even processed the release of liability or not, I sold a car before moving to Canada and it took 3 times sending it in before they got it right.

In the end I still ended up paying for the new owners parking tickets as the amount of time and effort involved in dealing with the city was far worse then the 35 dollar fine.

But call the DMV and inquire about it.,